Changing Skoda Superb 140bhp to 170bhp

Thoroughly enjoyed my 2009 Superb 170bhp until the Columbus died.

Now have 2013 Superb 140bhp which is lovely but ....

1   Is it possible to upgrade the 140bhp model to 170bhp?

2   Are any modifications required apart from remapping the ECU etc?

3   What are the downsides if any?

4   Is it worth considering?

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Many differences, not least of which is the engine management system and injectors are all different. You can easily remap it ti make 170bhp without too much trouble, but turning it into an actual 170 is a whole world of pain and expense.

Edit: Ignore most of what I said. I just saw what year your car is so it's commonrail rather than PD engine.

Still easiest to just remap it.

Just get a remap. My cffb engined 140hp/320nm commonarail superb was remapped to 186hp/405nm. Very linear torque curve, pulls very nicely, drives like a dream. I don't want our need more...

As above a remap will give you the extra power and tirque you are looking for, though you may want to check out what the increase in your insurance premium will be as some insurers will probably want more for a remapped 140 than a bog standard 170.

You have a number of options from there

a DTUK Tuning box. Benefits are its plug and play, easy to fit, you can take it off if circumstances change (e.g. you pick up points meaning remap insurance is then v expensive) and will probably be cheaper than a remap

a standard remap. Check if this can be done with the company involved for their map via the odbc port or if they have to take the ecu out and 'enable' it as the ecu is encrypted. Downside is once its done you have to go back to the remapper if you want it returning to stock, for which they might charge plus you could have warrenty issues if you have problems with the ecu and the remapper has had it apart to enable it.

a standard remap with either a bluefin or shark hand held unit. This is probably the best, but the most expensive as if your car is suitable they send you the unit and then the remap via email. You can switch it between stock and remap as many times as you want just by plugging it into the odbc port and following the instructions which only takes a few minutes to do.

forgot to add Shark do a discount for freedom members too and they are highly regarded on this forum

I don't know as it's a bit of a changing picture -you'd need to ask Shark or Computerchips about your exact model/year though Shark were close to providing it before Christmas on the CR 170 IIRC

Shark can now map the CR140 and 170 via the OBD with no need for ECU removal, having had a DTUK CRDt+'tuning box and a remap I'd go for the latter every time :)

As above a remap will give you the extra power and tirque you are looking for, though you may want to check out what the increase in your insurance premium will be as some insurers will probably want more for a remapped 140 than a bog standard 170.

You have a number of options from there

a DTUK Tuning box. Benefits are its plug and play, easy to fit, you can take it off if circumstances change (e.g. you pick up points meaning remap insurance is then v expensive) and will probably be cheaper than a remap

a standard remap. Check if this can be done with the company involved for their map via the odbc port or if they have to take the ecu out and 'enable' it as the ecu is encrypted. Downside is once its done you have to go back to the remapper if you want it returning to stock, for which they might charge plus you could have warrenty issues if you have problems with the ecu and the remapper has had it apart to enable it.

a standard remap with either a bluefin or shark hand held unit. This is probably the best, but the most expensive as if your car is suitable they send you the unit and then the remap via email. You can switch it between stock and remap as many times as you want just by plugging it into the odbc port and following the instructions which only takes a few minutes to do.

forgot to add Shark do a discount for freedom members too and they are highly regarded on this forum

I got a Chip Express unit for our CR170 and I can throughly recommend it. In its standard form, it's added 30 bhp and upped the torque by 30%. The midrange acceleration is fantastic, the MPG has improved and best of all, you can simply take it off and return it to standard..

• 4 months later...

What sort of money are we talking about for remapping a 140 bhp 2.0L engine up to a 170 bhp?

I can't tell from this thread if the clutch etc can handle the increased power.  I don't drive like an anti christ so wouldn't be abusing it. 

Also as regards insurance,  how does the insurance company know if you do the remap?  Why would I go declaring it for a higher premium if there is no way of them knowing?

Finally,  is there an MPG improvement to be had provided of course you don't have a heavy foot?

What sort of money are we talking about for remapping a 140 bhp 2.0L engine up to a 170 bhp?

I can't tell from this thread if the clutch etc can handle the increased power.  I don't drive like an anti christ so wouldn't be abusing it. 

Also as regards insurance,  how does the insurance company know if you do the remap?  Why would I go declaring it for a higher premium if there is no way of them knowing?

Finally,  is there an MPG improvement to be had provided of course you don't have a heavy foot?

Not had a remap jimmyf, but I do have a Chip Express box on my 170 which is amazing - gives a much smoother delivery of more power and much better MPG. Chip Express state their chip increases power on the CR140 from 138 to 168bhp and torque from 236 to 280lbs/ft, which is higher than the standard CR170 at 258. 

Some say there are further advantages with a remap, but you have to get to a business to get the remap done, you can't take that out of the car when you sell it, so you can't take it out and send it back to have it upgraded to your next car or take it out and sell it on.  These facts, together with a pretty good set of testimonials and independent reviews, and finally driving my mates Golf GT150 TDI in the real world, with and without the chip connected is what sold me. I don't think you have to worry about the clutch. After all, we're not talking about shoving huge additional increases of power through the transmission; you can still drive the car perfectly "normally".

Hi,

We would always advise that any discloses if they have had their vehicle re-mapped. If anyone does have any issues with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks Dan

Hey numskull,

Do you think the two suppliers are selling the same thing,  just with their own branding and tweaks to the software?  I would find it hard to believe that there are UK based companies that build their own hardware rather than source it from Taiwan/China

Also wonder if the MPG increase is as much as some of these guys claim?  

Can anyone vouch for a noticable increase in MPG based on distance travelled on a full tank?  The car telling you you are getting 60 mpg  is not the same as actually driving 60 miles on one gallon of fuel as the calculated figure is based on what the ECU thinks it is injecting where as I would guess these tuning boxes are modifying this figure ( Either up wards or downwards ) 

Hey numskull,

Do you think the two suppliers are selling the same thing,  just with their own branding and tweaks to the software?  I would find it hard to believe that there are UK based companies that build their own hardware rather than source it from Taiwan/China

They do look very similar. Also, as there are two different versions of the TDI-Tuning unit, where as there is only one version of the Chip Express unit. So I called Chip Express and asked them directly. They stated their unit and the TDI-Tuning units are not produced in the same factory and they are not the same design. Their unit only uses turbo control where required, specifically on Euro 6 standard engines. So you pay your money and make your choice. He said that you can buy and try his unit and return it for a full refund if you're not happy - TDI Tuning do the same, so I'd order both and return the one you don't like! I do have to say Chip Express aftersales has been excellent. I - ahem "lost" the bypass and installation instructions (the box containing said bits was inadvertently lobbed during a mass clear-out of crap!) and they popped lot another in the post which arrived the next day FOC.