DVD

Its going to be a pretty big distraction to the driver though. Would certainly not recommend it.

And kids in the back won't see it or will need bionic vision even in the middle seat to see it given the length of the Superb...

• Like 1

I still think its daft and its presumably disabled as its illegal (at least in the UK it is). But I have read it can be done by applying certain firmware updates if you are mad enough.

• Like 1

I still think its daft and its presumably disabled as its illegal (at least in the UK it is)

It's illegally to drive with front fog lights on( but it's not a problem for driver)

It's illegal if people do not indicate (70% drivers not indicate-no problem)

Edited by majkelo

Yes those two things are illegal too. But it has no bearing on my point that driving with a DVD playing can cause a serious accident if the driver is distracted, which is far from impossible.

I'm sure the various insurance companies involved would be interested in an accident (even if it wasn't your fault) if the DVD was found running in a wreck.

However, to avoid continuing to sound like your Dad(!), we will have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

There is a VCDS setting that can be changed for this. IIRC the picture cuts out at 4 km/h or so, but that number can be changed to >200 km/h. There is a thread on this somewhere in this forum, but search doesn't find it for me.

Yes can be done. I have driven customers car's that stay on. I don't know how to do it and would not recommend you do it. I have been in a fatal road accident and your vehicle is confiscated and thoroughly examined. You would not want the fact you were watching a dvd whilst driving at an inquest.

VCDS can indeed alter the setting, or use a custom firmware with it disabled. However if you are spotted by a policemen with it on, then expect to be stopped and get points on your license for driving without due care and attention.

The Columbus has the ability to drive external screens which do not disable like the main one, so you get video and audio in the back of the car and audio in the front only.

Remember only the video is blanked, the audio continues, so if you are using a music DVD then the sound remains uninterrupted.

There is a VCDS setting that can be changed for this. IIRC the picture cuts out at 4 km/h or so, but that number can be changed to >200 km/h. There is a thread on this somewhere in this forum, but search doesn't find it for me.

It's not a possible change with VCDS. It can be done with service tools though, or the software fix can be used if you have an rns510 that you're happy to throw away if it goes wrong.

The 4120 firmware available online on numerous sites disables the DVD blocking facility and thus enables VIM to the main screen on the unit. Depends if the Columbus in question is new enough to run the firmware though.

If it's aftermarket you simply take the handbrake wire and earth it to the chassis somewhere, looking at the ones you posted of the Passat I assume you've taken that China clone DVD unit to the new car?

Edited by Supurbia

If it's aftermarket you simply take the handbrake wire and earth it to the chassis somewhere, looking at the ones you posted of the Passat I assume you've taken that China clone DVD unit to the new car?

Yes it was china product and was working fine