2 days after picking up car.......Water ingress issue

Picked up my new Scout on Tuesday, went out to it this morning, thats odd i thought as i saw  some water pooled in the gearlever gaitor.  As i drove the car I was splashed by water going round a left turn, then the passenger seat got splashed as i went round a right hand bend.  The source ...... the internal mirror has water pooling in it. This is not an optional extra I ordered.  

Anyone else experienced this phenomena ?  

I am obviously trying to contact the dealer in the first instance.......typical though, I choose to use a dealer nearly 200miles from home.

Issues with poorly sealed windscreens on brand new Skoda's seem to be getting more common.

Ring Skoda UK and complain. The local dealer not being able to see you for at least a week is poor.

Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me.......I'll give them another hour before contacting Skoda UK customer services.  This has taken the shine off the new car experience - hopefully only temporarily.

My main concern is the long-term detrimental effect the water might have in and around the internal mirror electrics, not to mention if it has got into the lane assistance/high beam assist gubbings.

• Like 1

Must be one of those new fangled self dipping mirrors...

All new products have to undergo a soak test lol.

Sorry about the joke, couldn't resist that one.

Yes, I too would be unhappy with this on a new car.

The best place is under cover, to limit any further water ingress, also check any water damage around the roof lining.

You don't have a panoramic roof do you? or it might just be a loose or faulty drain.

Edited by rustic
  • Like 1

You do not have to allow the dealer to do anything. You are protected by the sale of goods acts and if on finance the similar implied terms act.

Dealers and SUK will most likely dismiss claims and rejections citing they have to be allowed to fix it first. Incorrect of them, they just don't want the problem of a new car back on the forecourt.

SUK will most likely cite their policy of if a certain amount of faults exist they will replace the car, but this again is at odds with the sale of goods act. Reject as soon as possible and hand the car back.

Edited by octavianestate
  • Like 1

You do, under the sale of goods act, have to give the dealer a chance to rectify a fault that developed just after delivery.  There's case law that allows the dealer three goes.  If you can prove the fault existed at the moment of delivery, you might be able to use a different case to reject it immediately.

I think there's a good summary of this somewhere on Honest John's website.

The point is to pursue if it's of unsatisfactory quality, no product should be supplied in poor condition and nothing protects the dealer in terms of allowing attempts to repair any given problem. No dealer wants a car they have had to purchase from the manufacturer returned from a customer to depreciate on their forecourt.

I'm aware of this as I'm going through the whole process with a dealer, SUK and the finance company. It's a long winded and time consuming business.

You do, under the sale of goods act, have to give the dealer a chance to rectify a fault that developed just after delivery.  There's case law that allows the dealer three goes.  If you can prove the fault existed at the moment of delivery, you might be able to use a different case to reject it immediately.

I think there's a good summary of this somewhere on Honest John's website.

what you are saying is true, but,one aspect of the sale and supply of goods act was changed about a couple of years ago, that the onus is on the dealer/maker to prove the fault was not present at time of sale, and not for the customer to prove that it was doesent sound a lot of change, but gives the buyer a lot more clout under the ssof goods act than previously,and it makes rejection easier, but after the dealer has had a fair oppertunity to rectify it as doctored states in the post

Had the same fault on mine! Had to wait 1,5 weeks for them to look at it. Service advisor thought it was the panoramic roof, so I sent pics and explained that it had to be the window. When they got the car and figured out it was the window they called me and said they needed the car until the next day, as they were also changing both the rear side windows.. Called back next day to let me know that the old windscreen couldn't be refitted and a new had to come from Germany! :thumbdown:  I've been working with cars myself for many years, and never refitted a single windscreen. Taking it out without checking if there's a new in the country was hopefully a mistake :clap:

On the positive side the service advisor was polite and I had a lone car for the week :thumbup:

Edited by MrEspen

its not a breakdown

Depends what your view on the definition of a breakdown is, appreciate its not engine related but in my view if it is leaking water into the electrics and the headlining, that is a valid reason to call Skoda assist to recover it to a dealer, especially at this time of year as I would not want it exposed to the rainy elements any longer than necessary! Let's face it, some people call the breakdown services just to change a flat tyre or take them to the nearest tyre fitter, thats not exactly a breakdown in my book as most able bodied people should be able to change a wheel or use a can of tyre weld!...but I don't know many who would be able to fix a leaking windscreen!

Edited by Matt Pez

Thanks for all the constructive comments.  The car is currently with the dealer - hopefully the issue will be rectified this week.

For those who asked...no panoramic roof, so I think it MUST be a case of poor windscreen sealing from the factory.

• Like 1