Bulb recommendations

We picked up our Spaceback on Saturday and after just one small trip I want to change the lights. Has anyone fitted a xenon conversion kit as i've had them in previous cars and despite the cost they have lasted years rather than months.

I will also be changing the sidelights and the interior lights to canbus leds, hopefully the interiors are as simple as usual.

We picked up our Spaceback on Saturday and after just one small trip I want to change the lights. Has anyone fitted a xenon conversion kit as i've had them in previous cars and despite the cost they have lasted years rather than months.

I will also be changing the sidelights and the interior lights to canbus leds, hopefully the interiors are as simple as usual.

My Rapid came with factory HID dipped headlamps.  The H15s that serve as DRLs and main beam headlamps are very yellow by comparison. I'm experimenting with canBus compatible CREE H15s but I'm far from convinced that that's the way to go.

I've fitted some very nice and bright LED W5W equivalents in the sidelights and they look just fine.

Excuse my ignorance...but superskoda offer these replacement 'position' lights; what are 'position' lights???? Are they drls, sidelights, dipped beams???? What bulb do they replace? The H7 or H15 or what?

post-129637-0-93151700-1457769815_thumb.png

• 9 months later...

Osram Nightbreaker's back in and night vision hugely improved.

Definitely need to look for a car with Xenon headlights!!

Both bulbs blown after approximately 10 months. Currently running the (very dim) original bulbs and deciding whether to go for bulbs with better longevity.

• 2 months later...

Old thread revival alert!

I fitted Osram Nightbreakers for the dipped beam in Sep 15 when my Rapid was pretty much brand new. I had the first bulb blow this week at about 21,000 miles, which I don't think is too bad really. It would be the left hand one though - wedged up against the battery so you have to go in via the wheel arch - a scene reminiscent of the Michael York 'Lair of the Woodbeast' scene from Flash Gordon...

I had the OEM bulbs in the boot so fitted a replacement spare (grazed knuckles and scratches an added bonus) and ordered a new pair of Nightbreakers - Eurocarparts even had an extra 30% code going as well so worked out at £22 a pair - but I stupidly ordered H4s. Will be exchanging at the weekend... 

Useful to know. 

However, after the impressive (but short life) Philips bulbs, I'm still going strong with the £3.99 Lidl bulbs, which have outlasted the Philips and still represent a huge improvement over the factory bulbs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2017 at 18:42, RickTT said:

Philips RacingVision get good reviews for performance.

I second that... Had mine a few months now... Really good.

• 6 months later...