Columbus retrofit

Howdy, finally have a Columbus head unit winging it's way to me from Sat_nav_deals on eBay. Very much looking forward to replacing my Swing!

I read a thread that dubdee1000 created where he also retrofitted a Columbus and purchased the plastic surround separately, giving part number 5JA858415.

I have since tried to source the same and it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I've spoken to my local dealer which has said this:

Hi as the Rapid does not have a Columbus fitted to any model no idea if any of the trims will fit your car, the Amundsen sat nav which is the only system fitted to that (and a unique part just to that model, no other Skoda model) has the same trim as you currently have. I would make sure 100% that the Columbus fits your car before buying it, like I said no Rapid has one fitted as standard or as a Skoda accessory, so no trim will be available for that head unit. The part number you have quoted is not a full part number but is the one you already have in your car.

This has clearly confused me, we know the Columbus fits, but the surround looks to be the same?

It is the correct part. I've had to do this research myself and in the end just had to take a gamble and order it, the information out there isn't much. It's not a standard double din, the headunits are almost the same size but an odd shape.

There are two "swing" fascias out there. The old one is probably the reason your dealer is confused. This is the part you need.

radio_swing.png

But you probably have this...

130704%20%C5%A0KODA%20Rapid%202014%20-%2

Which when you take it off will look like the attachment below and you'll need to order that first part.

post-119264-0-20419000-1405595078_thumb.jpg
Edited by mu7
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, mu7 I've got the first one in of those pics!! I'll just wait to see when the Columbus comes and if the facia doesn't fit I'll get one. Thanks again for all your help I'll post pics after I've fitted it I am excited :D

Thanks guys, mu7 I've got the first one in of those pics!! I'll just wait to see when the Columbus comes and if the facia doesn't fit I'll get one. Thanks again for all your help I'll post pics after I've fitted it I am excited :D

If you have ordered the first one in the pics that is the right one.  I placed the GPS ant on top of the radio got interference

If you have ordered the first one in the pics that is the right one. I placed the GPS ant on top of the radio got interference so now placed it on the metal holder of the MDI holder its to the left hand side got 8 sats works fine

Ahhh no I've not ordered it, that's the swing I already have so I might be ok. Didn't know there were two different types! Thanks for the tip about the antennae! :)

Are you planning on getting the programming done to enable directions to be displayed on the mfd? If so, please can you detail the changes required by vcds?

Ah ok, do you know what exactly needs to be changed? I want to do this install and have been able to track down someone with vcds but they need to know exactly what to do.

Edited by zed50

Ah ok, do you know what exactly needs to be changed? I want to do this install and have been able to track down someone with vcds but they need to know exactly what to do.

It just needs adding 37 to the gateway installation list in module 19 and then coding module 37 itself. The latter is just working through the bytes making sure all is relevant. If it is the Rapid it is going in, it will need the BAP setting ticked 

It just needs adding 37 to the gateway installation list in module 19 and then coding module 37 itself. The latter is just working through the bytes making sure all is relevant. If it is the Rapid it is going in, it will need the BAP setting ticked

Thanks heaps for this. It's completely nonsensical to me but I'll keep a record for when I get around to the install. Hopefully it'll make sense to the dude with the vcds cable!

Finally got round to fitting my Columbus, fitting was so easy! Really happy with it! http://imgur.com/lmXYlIc :wub:

Columbus looks really good in place - nice one Natalie.

Also love your 'extra' buttons under the AC controls.

• Like 1