Pavement parking could be banned UK wide

gadgetman

Isn't everyone now moving back there as wages are rising and cost of living is lower than the UK?

From my own limited knowledge of my own area and friends only, I can't see it, but many came over for a short time to make money with the idea of returning when they could clear debts, buy a plot of land, buy a house etc.  In my social circle, they came, integrated, married, stayed and have no intention of going back as the UK is now home.

Some people may be still stockpiling cash in order to buy a house or business on their return as originally intended, but no-one I know is now.

Poland is getting better (eg when buying a car now, you don't have to pay a percentage to the government any more for "being richer") but the politics are tricky and setting up a business or a lifestyle is not as secure as over here; it is like you have to fight every inch to do anything there, you get advice and support here whilst doing so.

Cost of living is higher in Poland, wages are lower by at least 50% bit many things are the same price to buy as here; cars, clothes, cosmetics etc, some things are cheaper like food but your wages do not stretch as far.  Also the draconian employee protection left over from the days of communism means virtually every Polish employer only gives short term contracts stopping people getting mortgages, then the UK looks attractive.

Many people I know have gone off to Australia, America, Canada etc to make big money quickly and come back to buy a house, but, just as the Poles did, many will stay and integrate instead.  No-one seems to mention these; anyone seen a UK born A&E doctor recently?  Many are off earning big money abroad instead.

I'm no expert, but long term security and finances have a big bearing on what people do; houses and food may be cheaper over there but there are many considerations; ability to get a mortgage, schooling, healthcare etc.

I have to park partially on the path at both houses I live at.

One the path is wise enough to drive down (in a large pickup truck with a 17ft trailer... Don't ask!)

The other i park over our dip and on the grass verge. Otherwise it'll get hit by the multitude of speeding vehicles through the narrow street.

However, i do get angry at people parking in front of my house, usually because they're over our dipped drives which makes them unusable.

I have, on occasion, "moved" their vehicles if they refuse to. Either by the police attending or dragging it down the street.

Yeah, bit tricky taking that track when you've just threatened to smash someone's car up for parking on a road though....

I hope you're joking with what you said. I'd be careful who you threaten this to, it might be the last time you do.

I'm protective over my cars, but threatening a vehicle is nothing compared to threatening someone's life, home and family.

I hope it doesn't go ahead as parking is at a premium as it is (cars parked up on the pavement one side of the road), most days its a first come first served basis and I rarely get the chance to park outside the house.

I live in a modern village. many house have 2 parking spaces and there are a reasonable number of communal spaces. the side streets are nit bust and parking with 4 wheels on teh road does not create problems. Yet there a few that persist in parking with 2 wheels well onto the pavements,  Unfortunately when walking by rather large dog he will not walk on teh road and I have hit bumped the wing mirrors on a number of occasions

I live in a modern village. many house have 2 parking spaces and there are a reasonable number of communal spaces. the side streets are nit bust and parking with 4 wheels on teh road does not create problems. Yet there a few that persist in parking with 2 wheels well onto the pavements, Unfortunately when walking by rather large dog he will not walk on teh road and I have hit bumped the wing mirrors on a number of occasions

I can imagine how accidental that was..

Then you get onto the wheelie bin situation, these also obstruct the pavement in many places. People move them to the side of their drive blocking the pavement so they can get the car in and out easier.

Trouble is in some locations if your wheelie bin is not on the footpath it doesn;t get collected - even if it is only inches into your own driveway...   so to get it emptied it has to be 'fully' on the footway.

As for parking on the footway it is already illegal and hence the sooner it is enforced the better - end of!

And don;t get me started on people getting het up about 'thier' space in front of thier house...   I used to park on the road near work and there were some streets where the occupiers had nicked highways works cones and ran out as soon as the car was moved to place them in 'thier' space.  I used to kick them out of the way and then park and walk off whilst they were ranting at me - used to really wind people up but the fact is the space is not reserved unless it's redsidents parking permit holders only.  The car was never damaged or anything, although a couple of times I did point out the legal aspects to some of the residents and also queried where they had stolen 'thier' cones from....   :D

Trouble is in some locations if your wheelie bin is not on the footpath it doesn;t get collected - even if it is only inches into your own driveway...   so to get it emptied it has to be 'fully' on the footway.

Yep, here they won't take the bin unless it's fully on the pavement.  I've left it at the end of the drive before and it just had a note on it saying it wouldn't be collected as it was still on my premises.  Mind you, they've refused to take it on other occasions because it's too heavy even though my 5'0" wife wheeled it out one handed.  Apparently the "safe limit" test is if they can pivot it on the wheels with one finger. 

The rules are you should leave your bin at the very edge of your property,not on the footpath,to leave fully on the footpath causes a obstruction under road traffic law,yes the footpath is part of the road.If a blind person hurts themselves they could sue you.

However having said that when the authorities have emptied them they then leave them in the middle of the footpath so it becomes a slalom course.I think a common sense approach applies leave plenty of room for the pedestrian it is there space,if they left them on the road there would be a outcry,answer hurt yourself sue the council,then you will be paying yourself sort of.

This is the next tax, anybody parked anywhere on a public road/pavement will be charged for the convenience.Policed by fixed cameras.The idea has already been muted at goverment level.

Confused now, VED is the Duty / Tax charged for using Motor Vehicles on the Public Highway, including parking where allowed,

and this has been policed by Mobile cameras for a good while now, & moving vehicles by Fixed Cameras since Paper Discs have been Dicontinued.

(Some Vehicles now have Zero VED)

As to parking on Pavements that is the point of the OP is it not,

being Debated by MP's for England & Wales.

Confused now, VED is the Duty / Tax charged for using Motor Vehicles on the Public Highway, including parking where allowed,

and this has been policed by Mobile cameras for a good while now, & moving vehicles by Fixed Cameras since Paper Discs have been Dicontinued.

(Some Vehicles now have Zero VED)

As to parking on Pavements that is the point of the OP is it not,

being Debated by MP's for England & Wales.

It's actually already illegal in Scotland under the (never enforced) King William act of 15something.

Some roads are too narrow though arent they.

If cars on both side of the road didnt park on the pavement, nobody would be able to get down the middle

And theres nowhere else for them to park an entire one side of a street of cars

So, it should be left to the Local Authority to decide which road, and which sides of narrow roads, can be designated for sensible pavement parking.   "Sensible" parking means allowing enough space for mobility scooters and pushchairs to get by. 

This is the next tax, anybody parked anywhere on a public road/pavement will be charged for the convenience.Policed by fixed cameras.The idea has already been muted at goverment level.

Pedant Mode = On

"Muted" = Sound Deadened

"Mooted" - Discussed.   Comes from Saxon times when the village elders would meet and sit on a woolsack and discuss community affairs at length.   The meeting bacame known as "the moot" and lengthy discussions which were not easy to decide upon became known as a "moot point". 

Pedant Mode = Off

Fully agree with your point about it being yet another tax raising scam opportunity!

Edited by bealine

So, it should be left to the Local Authority to decide which road, and which sides of narrow roads, can be designated for sensible pavement parking. "Sensible" parking means allowing enough space for mobility scooters and pushchairs to get by.

Its abit difficult though isnt it.

Theres alot of towns around here that we're built in the times when people simply didnt have cars.

Now everybodys got atleast one car and theres simply nowhere to park.

Its okay stopping them from parking, but where are they gonna move to. Theyve gotta park somewhere.

Footpaths are fot pedestrians not parking places for cars, the sooner the law is chaged the better.

GREAT- till you live in a house /street built in the 1930's, where the road is too narrow to allow for cars parked opposite on the road.  Even IF I and blonde Parker over the road ,park on the pavement, it's difficult for an ambulance to get past, and for a fire engine, impossible.