Variable Servicing

Rondo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my theory is they wouldn't have put big alloys/brakes and a spoiler on if they were expecting you to do a Driving Miss Daisy in it ;)

Also 95% of my mileage is 'playing', as I only work a couple of miles from home + cycle to work when I can - so it doesn't get any communter miles on it :)

Yes, I'm on variable, Dave. Just 7000 miles so far in 18 months, so no sign of a service needed. At this rate I will probably need to remind the service indicator that a service is needed! :rolleyes:

being chipped and utilising the performance regularly, i have preferred to keep well on top of things with regard to servicing, even at the expense of overkill.

i just feel better with a more regular oil change 'tis all.

I'm with Huck and DaveU on this one. My RS is standard and I only do 10-12K per year, but I've gone for fixed servicing. I believe VAG when they say the long life oils are up to the job, but I prefer the comfort factor of an annual change. And apart from the oil, it also means my car is given a professional once-over every year including a diagnostic check. My last service showed a pressure loss on the turbo and a potential problem with the air-con - neither of which I'd noticed in day to day driving. So I get three diagnostic checks during the warranty period instead of one. I'd be as sick as a parrot if I was on variable and these "hidden" problems turned up at the second service!

Well, reading that veedub doc, it puts me firmly in the fixed servicing category. I like to "give it some" when I get the chance, but most of the time it's the family workhorse, so lots of stop-starting and commuting through a town centre...

I'm really glad someone posted that. I kept umming and ahhing over variable vs fixed, and VW gave me the criteria to make the decision easy all along. Nice one :)

Regards,

Mark

I do nearly 20K a year, so fixed servicing means my car gets checked very regularly. My 50000 service should be within the warranty period, which means my car will have had 5 checks by then. I should say that none of my previous 4 services found any problems I hadn't seen. The thing with the turbo was a little more obvious in day to day driving, in that one minute is was TDI, the next SDI, switch off engine, on again, TDI, minute later SDI. :mad:

Interesting that Skoda hasn't made similar advice available to us. LadyLoki, how about following this up for us in one of your quiet moments at work? Meanwhile I'm staying with variable. :)

Originally posted by MrkyMrk in this post

I'm really glad someone posted that. I kept umming and ahhing over variable vs fixed, and VW gave me the criteria to make the decision easy all along. Nice one :)

No problem, Mark, HTH.

The power of Google!! :D

This thread comes up on page 1 of a Google seach for 'variable servicing Audi'! Such is the power of Briskoda now!!!

A question for those who have indicated in this thread that they are/will use fixed servicing intervals: do you/will you use a spec VW 503 00, 506 00 or 506 01 Longlife oil; a multigrade high lubricity oil; or a multigrade oil?

Originally posted by DGW in this post

This thread comes up on page 1 of a Google seach for 'variable servicing Audi'! Such is the power of Briskoda now!!!

A question for those who have indicated in this thread that they are/will use fixed servicing intervals: do you/will you use a spec VW 503 00, 506 00 or 506 01 Longlife oil; a multigrade high lubricity oil; or a multigrade oil?

I will be sticking with longlife, just in case i creep over the fixed interval at some point. And the Dealer will be instructed NOT to reset the car to fixed, i will however be following the fixed service schedule.

Covers all the bases methinks, and if they want to argue the toss over any warranty claims, i'll fight them all the way :)

Originally posted by MonkeyHanger in this post

I will be sticking with longlife, just in case i creep over the fixed interval at some point. And the Dealer will be instructed NOT to reset the car to fixed, i will however be following the fixed service schedule.

The TaviaRS method, I believe this is called ;)

Good info guys, I'm with Denis on this one. 320 miles per week puts me in the variable service category, and reading that article means I am more reassured by it.

However, just to throw a spanner in the works, once the warranty is up I will probably reconsider due to the cost of Castrol SLX II, and main dealer service prices.

I seem to remember the AA (formerly Halfords) service centres doing a good Mobil One service for

Originally posted by fen_l&k in this post

The TaviaRS method, I believe this is called ;)

Well Jon's car is still going strong, even in the face of extreme provocation :D

I dont do many miles in the Octy as i have a company van for work, so fixed is sensible. But if i change jobs and need to use the car again, the mileage will increase and variable will be the smart choice.

I do just over 300 miles a week, but stick to fixed servicing - I like the fact that the car gets checked by the dealer twice a year and has an oil change every 10k miles. I let the dealer use whichever oil they like (has been Castrol Magantec so far), as I trust they will use the correct oil, and it's not expensive enough for me to complain about... :)

Rob.

Originally posted by MrkyMrk in this post

Should I be asking for something specific?

If on variable servicing, you should be using a spec VW 503 00 oil such as Castrol Longlife SLX2. But even if you opt for fixed servicing, theer are significant benefits from using that type of oil - not least if you have the engine tuned. Read below for more info.

This is what AudiUK Corporate Sales website has to say about variable service and longlife oils:

"Petrol engines are achieving at least 17,500 miles between services and diesel engines 20,000miles. This coupled with fuel consumption savings of 2.7% mean that both Audi and maintenance controllers are happy with this new scheme. Audi

Very, very interesting. My summary of the article is that

a) the engine is potentially getting a better quality oil (SLX II) and therefore better lubrication when on variable

B) you get better fuel economy when on variable

c) there is less environmental impact when on variable

I'm definitely sticking to variable. Maybe, just maybe, I'm doing my engine a favour.

Spot on, Howard. A 2.7% fuel saving equates to around a 1 mpg improvement - not to be sneezed at with the Budget fuel tax rise next week plus OPEC cutting production leading in turnto oil prices rising. :cool:

Well, Denis, I beat my mpg record last Saturday. On the way from the hotel to the start point of the Nat Meet drive, I achieved an indicated 72.2mpg. Can't be bad, eh? It's getting better the more miles it has on it. Glass of SLXII for table five, please! ;)