Variable Servicing

Rondo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and/or 20,000 miles max, whichever comes first. You should get advance warning of the need for a service via the service interval display, but if you don't then make sure you get the car serviced by the time/mileage limit since that is a condition of the warranty. Oh, and welcome to Briskoda, Rondo. :D

PS Don't be drawn into discussion about the colour of your car. (Just friendly advice. :) )

Did anybody see the comment by Honestjohn in Saturdays Daily Telegraph regarding 1.9TDi on variable servicing. It had had one service & was approaching 57k and indicator had not come on for the next service. HJ suggested getting rid as soon as 3 year warranty was up as he thought engine would be shot by 60k

He needs to retire and write his memoirs. Period. :mad:

Perhaps skodaw would like to comment on what Audi estimate the life expectancy of diesels on variable servicing to be.

Me neither. I looked at a V6 Mond when buying the Octy which had had 2 services over its 48000 mile life, and decided against - was a nice car, but that kind of neglect has to tell in the end.

Did you sell your Octy in the end, uptheposh?

For anyone thats interested I just had mine services for the third time on variable servicing today and below is a breakdown of the invoice for your info.

(Mileage 57000) Prices exclude VAT

Service

Well, mine's just turned 29,400, and still no service indicator. I reckon this weekend's jaunt will put another 600 miles on so I'll be ringing the dealer to get it booked in ASAP.

Honest John needs to do some research. When I first got the car I read up on the Castrol site (unfortunately the site has changed since and I can't find the link) and they ran some engines with longlife oil for *significantly* longer than 30,000 miles then took them apart to see what the wear was like. And they were fine. So I'm not worried.

Another good document is here from VW, that describes the longlife servicing and what circumstances you would be advised to choose between fixed and longlife. (I fall into the longlife category).

Only my two penneth.

I'll stick to variable but my mileage is low (currently 7100 in 17 months). That said, I am not convinced we are all talking about the same thing when it comes to fixed servicing - ie fixed service intervals - for a car with LongLife Service B (IIRC that is all current Octavias, Fabias, and Superbs).

Fixed service intervals (QG2) for such cars involve an oil change every 10,000 miles; an inspection service every 20,000 miles (including an oil change); and, if the car is driven more than 20000 miles before 2 years have elapsed, the inspection service should be carried out after 20000 miles and not 2 years.

OTOH, a variable service car (QG1) has an inspection service based on the variable service indicator display (but not later than every 2 years/20000 miles petrol engine/30000 miles diesel engine). That service includes an oil change.

The car on variable servicing has to use a 'high spec' longlife oil whereas the car on fixed service intervals can use cheaper and less sophisticated oils - which in turn will not perform as well as a longlife oil

To summarise, the fixed service car gets an extra oil change (but can use an inferior oil), followed by an inspection service (and oil change) at 20000 miles/2 years, whereas the variable service interval car gets an oil change and an inspection service at not more than 20000 miles/2 years, or earlier if the variable service display so indicates. The variable service car could well get an inspection service based on need before the car on fixed service intervals is due one on time/mileage.

So what exactly is the big problem with variable service intervals, and where is the lack of care in looking after the needs of the car?

What I suspect may be happening is that when members opt for fixed service intervals, their cars are being put on to the (old fashioned) standard service (QG0) which applies to non-longlife service cars. That standard service requires an oil change to be carried out every 12 months. Additionally, an annual inspection (which includes an oil change) should be carried out every 12 months; an oil change is required if the car is driven less than 10000 miles in a year; and if the car is driven more than 20000 miles in a year, the annual inspection should be carried out at 20000 miles and not once a year. Ordinary rather than longlife oils can be used.

QG0, QG1 and QG2 service requirements include identical service items at 20,000, 40,000 and 60000 miles etc, and at 24 months, 48 months, 60 months etc.

All clear? :confused:

As I said at the start, I am happy the way I drive my car for it to be on variable service intervals and I will use longlife oil exclusively for the engine.

Originally posted by fen_l&k in this post

Well, mine's just turned 29,400, and still no service indicator. I reckon this weekend's jaunt will put another 600 miles on so I'll be ringing the dealer to get it booked in ASAP.

Only my two penneth.

The service indicator is very small and apears when the ignition is first switchen on in the milometer window- you may easily miss it - it starts with a miles to service which seems to count down rapidly in 100 mile intervals without the car doing that milage it also seems to be governed by time - mine has done about 18k+ and had countdown at 200miles before going on holiday for a week. - on return the idicator was stating servivce without any milage indicator - I am doing the weekend drive with service due and being serviced afterwards.

John

Coming back from germany yesterday, about to drive off the seacat and got the message "service 1000", not bad when you consider that since the last service (july 02) the car has covered 17k miles including 4 trips to the ring. Oil looks fine though. and its been jabba'd too.

Well, I went out to the car after John's post and switched the ignition on to see. And, spookily, guess what... the service indicator came up. On mine it didn't appear in the odometer display, it was in the MFA display, after I had been chastised for not wearing my seat belt. Call to the dealer today, methinks!

• 2 weeks later...

was about to post about this same thing re. people's opinions of variable servicing.

picking the car up next tuesday and i will be doing the same as last time. the car will get a regular service every yeay/10000miles in my ownership.

Mine is now 3 weeks from it's first birthday ;) .........and has 9535 miles on the clock , so will be booking first service very shortly , although my code says it's set for variable , no service due signals yet , but I'm happier with a service every 10K miles or every 12 months .

Hope to get my coils changed at the same time as my chassis number is in the affected range .

Originally posted by DGW in this post

What do expect your annual mileage to be, Huck?

Huck, so you will be going for 1.3 to 1.6 annual services a year? If you do 16K a year, you will be having 3 annual services in 2 years - which sounds like major overkill to me.

Originally posted by DGW in this post

Huck, so you will be going for 1.3 to 1.6 annual services a year? If you do 16K a year, you will be having 3 annual services in 2 years - which sounds like major overkill to me.

Depends how much larrup he gives it doesn't it?

I give mine plenty of welly (although with mechanically sympathy) and it tells me when it needs servicing (every 8-9k miles).

Dave