Learner Cars

WilliamVRS897

Was out on a test drive with a customer the other day, and I seen a silver MK1 Skoda Fabia VRS as a learner car lol!

I have seen a few other strange learner cars in the past year or so, just wondering what some of the weirdest ones other people have seen?

There is a Briskoda Member instructs in a Fabia MK2 vRS Twincharger / dsg Estate with Lowering Springs and other upgrades.

& another in a vRS Mk2 Hatch.

I know a Full Time Driving Instructor that Teaches in a Mk 7 Golf GTI DSG with Performance Pack,

& a one using a new Fiesta ST2

• Like 1

Not weird but I know there is a red and black mk2 Fabia monte carlo in Surrey. Looks really nice. Probably fairly normal spec though.

The thing to remember is what car does a 17 year old want to learn in? Something with a VRS badge or one of the standard super mini's. I think it the choice of car is a great marketing ploy for an instructor.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Was it a learner car as in just a normal parent with the kid learning or was it a learner tuition company?

If it was just a normal parent. I taught my other half to drive ( she was 17 ) in a hybrid fabia with brembo's and helix clutch with smf. Lol

Audi q5 is my personal favourite. Ran by a national company named after a bloke. And its always being driven very very slowly. I think visability is a real issue in that car. Couple that with learner drivers and.....well you get the drift.

A lot of other instructors round here use 'hot hatches', good marketing if you ask me. Spoke to my driving instructor not long ago and he says his ds3 and his leon fr are like magnets, gets a lot of people taking his card when in supermarket car parks and petrol stations apparently.

• Like 1

Was it a learner car as in just a normal parent with the kid learning or was it a learner tuition company?

An actual learner company lol

I've seen the odd Impreza hatchback version also, most likely the non turbo or the diesel version though. MK2 Fabia Monte Carlo sounds like a decent learner car too!

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen an Astra VXR as a learner.  Those things have enough gearbox problems to worry about without putting a learner at the helm!

There is definitely a Vectra VXR taxi here in Newcastle.

• Like 2

Audi q5 is my personal favourite. Ran by a national company named after a bloke. And its always being driven very very slowly. I think visability is a real issue in that car. Couple that with learner drivers and.....well you get the drift.

A lot of other instructors round here use 'hot hatches', good marketing if you ask me. Spoke to my driving instructor not long ago and he says his ds3 and his leon fr are like magnets, gets a lot of people taking his card when in supermarket car parks and petrol stations apparently.

It is definitely a great advert for your company if you have a car that is appealing to youngsters

There is a Briskoda Member instructs in a Fabia MK2 vRS Twincharger / dsg Estate with Lowering Springs and other upgrades.

& another in a vRS Mk2 Hatch.

I know a Full Time Driving Instructor that Teaches in a Mk 7 Golf GTI DSG with Performance Pack,

& a one using a new Fiesta ST2

That would be me :)

yes OP My car is a mark II fabia vRS, estate with some choice mods, that I use (part-time) to teach to drive in :) it interesting getting insurance to fit! :o lol....

here she is ;) "Phantom"

1383830_4820053475215_104893005534195763

• Like 2

We have a test centre near us so all manner of learner driver cars are constantly using the roads around us. I've seen Mercs, BMW, Audi marques being used to teach as well as the usual Fiesta, Astra, Kia small cars. Not many Skoda of any model seen though.

Bill Plant round here has a couple of them, only popped up recently, they look awful to learn in

You're a braver man than me letting learners drive that lol :)

you would be suprised, because they are all afraid of the power and drive it slowly! lol... but then being auto I tend to get older people, americans, disabled ect ... dont get any young boy racers ;)

• Like 1

The big Audis aren't a bad idea though. Because if you can drive one of those then anything else will be a piece of p155.

True.

But people want an instructor thatll get them through their test quick and have a good pass rate imo.

'I failed because i couldnt park an a6 avant' or ' i hit the curb because its so bloody wide'.

Just easier with a small car i think.

Whatever they choose to drive after is lf their choice n it doesnt matter if they cant park. We'll just laugh watching haha

you would be suprised, because they are all afraid of the power and drive it slowly! lol... but then being auto I tend to get older people, americans, disabled ect ... dont get any young boy racers ;)

Can i ask

A little off topic maybe, sorry.

Whats the score with parking aids and the driving test? Reversing sensors etc.

cars have alsorts now dont they

Guest BigJase88

Ford fiesta 02 plate diesel turbo

The instructor changed the clutch the week before my test and it was quite hard to adjust being a new driver. Almost flipped out

True.

But people want an instructor thatll get them through their test quick and have a good pass rate imo.

'I failed because i couldnt park an a6 avant' or ' i hit the curb because its so bloody wide'.

Just easier with a small car i think.

Whatever they choose to drive after is lf their choice n it doesnt matter if they cant park. We'll just laugh watching haha

Can i ask

A little off topic maybe, sorry.

Whats the score with parking aids and the driving test? Reversing sensors etc.

cars have alsorts now dont they

easier is not good.... seeing as my "proper" job is with the emergency ambulance service, and all the RTC's I see, I teach people to DRIVE , not to pass the test (the test then takes care of itself) ... I want safe people , and charge them for it, NOT just a quick pass in an easy way , I make them believe its a LIFE SKILL, and explain how it effects people when it goes wrong.........

they try to ban all new tech... they banned hill holding tech when it was introduced, but in the end, as it becomes common on cars they have to give in and accept it....

• Like 2

easier is not good.... seeing as my "proper" job is with the emergency ambulance service, and all the RTC's I see, I teach people to DRIVE , not to pass the test (the test then takes care of itself) ... I want safe people , and charge them for it, NOT just a quick pass in an easy way , I make them believe its a LIFE SKILL, and explain how it effects people when it goes wrong.........

they try to ban all new tech... they banned hill holding tech when it was introduced, but in the end, as it becomes common on cars they have to give in and accept it....

Ah interesting :)

Its good you do that.

Round here its just getting through as fast as possible im afraid. Theres only so many £25 a hour a young person can take haha. I managed it in 8 lessons (having been on the roads on a bike, i just needed to grasp the control layouts and width of the car i think) which is still £200. Alot of money at that age

I still believe you really learn to drive/ride after the test.

• Like 1