Canton Subwoofer

That SK35 sound system looks interesting.

Not a UK option I'm guessing, which is a shame.

Its the 10 speaker Skoda Sound System that was optional on the Mk2 Octavia FL but not in the UK I believe.

It "may" have been available on the pre-FL though.

300w total output....no subs rather 8" mid/bass drivers in the front doors rathet than 6.5's......good but not fabulous sound quality from what Ive read.

• 6 months later...

I am considering building my own enclosure and mounting it in the space above the stock sub, keeping the boot floor as clear as possible for regular mountain bike fits.  

So I have been doing a little browsing, is the 12" MTX speaker below suitable? would i have to go 2 or 4 ohm?
http://international.mtx.com/tn12-04-car-audio-subwoofer

Or would I do better going with the base 6" supplied without enclosure (as above) be better?
http://shop.vibeaudio.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=254

How are these subs with 2 coils described?  I dont think the MTX is dual?  Do i need to stay dual?

Cheers

I am considering building my own enclosure and mounting it in the space above the stock sub, keeping the boot floor as clear as possible for regular mountain bike fits.  

So I have been doing a little browsing, is the 12" MTX speaker below suitable? would i have to go 2 or 4 ohm?

http://international.mtx.com/tn12-04-car-audio-subwoofer

Or would I do better going with the base 6" supplied without enclosure (as above) be better?

http://shop.vibeaudio.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=254

How are these subs with 2 coils described?  I dont think the MTX is dual?  Do i need to stay dual?

Cheers

As far as I'm aware it has to be a dual coil sub woofer if you intend on using the connectors from the current sub woofer.

Hello and welcome to Brtiskoda from a fellow mountain biker on the sunny side! 

See here: 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/364365-octavia-mk-iii-vrs-estate-sound-system-upgrade/

Let us know how you get on. Lots of us stuck with the stock audio system and looking to improve it  :clap:

I'd be interested to hear how they fed the amp for that one. I take it that it's a low pass filter connected to the wiring for the rear speakers. Apparently the amp in the Canton systems is fed using an optical cable meaning it could be pain to hack into it.

I'm looking to do mine and would be quite happy to have a small 10" sub enclose in the boot - its not like it'll take up that much room in my Estate boot!

I'd be interested to hear how they fed the amp from the link 

Why bother losing boot space at all?

411118146.jpg

Since spare wheels are for dummies anyway, I decided to have that space be put to good use right from the start. Dealer had this installed before I took delivery. 

The sub is mounted against the back of the car, between sub and chassis. Because of the intricate wiring of the Canton system, they had to use a convertor to take speaker lead and convert that to a digital signal for the second amp to accept, but it filters quite well and delivers quite a thump (which you would expect at 900 watts).

4D446183-88D7-481A-817D-014A6632B352_zps

Yep loving mine

And full (nearly) boot still and kept the standard head unit!

Could I ask what year you're car is? Reason I ask I've just noticed you have a flappy cover over the boot latch and my doesn't have one? =(
  • Like 1

I like your woofer setup, but have to ask. Does the parcel shelf rattle or buzz, or do you just keep it open? 

Thx

Nope nothing it's been a really good buy!!

No rattles nothing

Just leave the parcel shelf as it!

I see there is some confusion going on here around the Canton system and other.

First of all; the amp is rated at 570w max power. What you see in the picture of the system regarded to each speaker is the speakers rating, not the amps output to each speaker.

Just do the math and you will see that it dont end up in 570w.

The other thing is that it is a ten channel amp and therefore it cant be two sub channels. Yes its to pair of wires but it connects to ONE channel at the amp.

And so far I havent seen anyone that has measured the output of the amp channel, just say its 1x200 or 2x100w. But that is the subwoofers max input, not the amps output.

Since spare wheels are for dummies anyway,

...not so convinced. You might find it convenient should it ever happen to have a flat tyre on the highway not fixable with sticky foam, at many miles far from the nearest garage...

...not so convinced. You might find it convenient should it ever happen to have a flat tyre on the highway not fixable with sticky foam, at many miles far from the nearest garage...

I challenge you to find a spare in 18" (or a boot that will accommodate one). Yes, there are situations where it might come in hand, but blown tyres are less common than they used to be and I in any case I think you were very much aware that this was said in jest  :p.

• Like 1

If this was spoken in jest, my fault, my command of English is not so good.

Anyway I recently got a tyre with a large and deep cut just in the middle of the contact surface with the tamrac, not the sides, and I got it while cruising on the highway. Perhaps I run over some piece of truck, anyway I blessed my 17" spare wheel. My previous MkII VRS had 18", but my full size spare was 17" and perfectly suitable to bring me back home at "usual" speeds.

I would hardly rather listen to deep basses while stuck on the highway... but to each its own ;)

Edited by Genoa1893

Why can´t you have both a subwoofer and a spare wheel? ;)

...I had one of these on my Saab and it worked damn well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZNvgR2dwc

Unfortunately, and since my Skoda was configured without a Spare wheel, the space there is divided in a different way and the sub simply won't fit. Might be a project for next Summer to find trunk bottom of a spare wheel car and change it.

As was pointed out here, when was the last time anyone had a flat? My insurance covers towing, so if I ever get stranded, I will just call and let them sort it.

I bought a 17" spare for my Saab when I went for a trip in Germany, but that was the only time the Spare ever lived in the car - otherwise, it also was configured with the repair kit.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I'm really tired of Canton subwoofer included in my Skoda Octavia vRS -15 and I've plans for installing a seperate subwoofer and amplifier.

How did you guys manage to feed ampilifer with low-pass? Is there RCA from my Bolero entertainment-system or do i have to convert signal from high to low?

Please post final results if possible :)

If you fint a couple of 8 or 10 inches woofer with 2x4 ohm voice coils and rather good sensitivity (88-90 dB) you could use the original Canton amplifier with good result.

I have tested this with a couple of 12" Peerless XLS and it worked really good.

The problem is that you need 8 ohm impedance (DVC 2x4). If you try woofer with lower impedance the amp will shut down.

The signal to the amp is mosk bus (optic) so you have to use a high/low converter that also gives the Canton amp a resistance of 8 ohm if you want to use an activ subwoofer.

OR change out the Canton amp with a new mosk processor.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...