Mk1 Fabia VRS engine warm up tips, any way to speed up the process?

My VRS takes an age to warm up ( quicker if drove spiritedly however I don't like risking damage to the engine )

Are there any tips/mods to warm the engine quicker? I noted Fabravdab's mod of blanking off part of the cold air intake however im wondering what else people have tried.

I noticed on other cars the bonnet sound proofing has a heat sheild that may help?

Limited opportunities with the 1.9TDI...

- Sell it and get a late model BLT with the water cooled EGR. (It takes more heat out of the exhaust aiding warm up).

- Retrofit the water cooled EGR (never heard of it being done!).

- Buy a "poker" heating element that preheats the engine oil (risk of dodginess including fire and electrocution!).

- Buy a sump heating pad that sits under the sump and warms the oil. (Limited in effectiveness compared to the above).

Get the upper front grille blocked off for starters.

There isn't really much you can do in fairness. 

• Check the thermostat as said above, it could be sticking open leading to increased warming up times. 
  • Avoid using the heaters, I usually have mine set to demist, 18c and number 1 on the blower. This is enough to keep the screen clear while not sucking too much heat out of the coolant before it gets to temperature.

Really does depend on the sort of driving you do as well, low speed town driving will always take an age to warm up compared to getting out on the open road and maintaining a steady 60-70mph. 

Also bear in mind that when the coolant needle reaches 90c it does NOT mean the engine oil is also fully up to temperature. That usually takes a further 5-10mins of steady driving. 

• Like 1

I've put a plastic cover in front of my radiator totally covering it all year round and it still takes a will to warm up, my work commute is 9 miles, 30 minutes of driving 30 mph to a national speed limit back to 30 then national speed limit back to 30 then 50 so temp gets up within 5 miles. Temperature now between 4 to minus 1 roads are getting icy too so just plod along until I get to work or home.

I have same problem with my 1.9tdi pd100

Ill be changing the stat soon. The dealership want£25 euro car parts £4

but if the car has never had its thermostat changed in 10yrs you can see why the price diff

You could change the stat. Bear in mind a stuck open stat is far better than a stuck shut one!

(that would lead to water boiling and potential for H/G failure so a stuck open stat other than discomfort isn't the end of the world!).

You could always make sure you are appropriately dressed for the conditions (also useful if you have a breakdown god forbid !). Plus you need to de-ice car properly so that should give time for the car to warm a little before setting off.