Do you ever get shocked by the VRS's pace to BHP ratio

Ant FR

'S' for Slow really in the Twinchargers,

lots of RPM & noise and not necessarily more speed. Well IME.

But like a diesel then?

I always though S in a 2.0 CR TDI golf seemed slower. Keeping it between 4-5rpm. Much better between 3-4rpm IMO.

I can beat my daughters brand new Focus ST from a standing start, up to about 60 mph with ease. She soon catches me up from 60mph , & down windy lanes I stand no chance. 

It certainly punches way above its weight & never fails to amaze me. I think this is the longest I have kept a car (nearly 2 years), & the problem is when its due for change at 3 years old (when warranty expires & MOT is due), what do I replace it with? I am hooked on the DSG gear box, but what I really like is the look on other drivers faces. The Fabia looks so innocent but has a bite that most cars (even 2 litre or above) can only dream of.

Reading other peoples experiences eg oil burning, engine failure etc really puts me off keeping it once the warranty has expired, but like I said, what else matches is?

Its the best bang per buck I've ever had.

I bought mine when it was a year old and planned to keep it till the end of the manufacturer's warranty. I ended up taking out the Skoda-approved extended warranty (two years) as I didn't want to part with the car - and certainly couldn't have replaced it with anything similar for what I originally paid for mine (on a level playing field - year-old car with similar mileage, performance and equipment). I'll be sad when it finally goes (extended warranty expires 29/09/15) and I'm struggling to think what to do next. A car is a bit of an extravagance for me as I only do around 4,000 miles a year (car sits in the garage most days of the week - I get the train to work), but it's still a handy thing to have (and for a bit of Sunday afternoon fun). At the moment I'm thinking along the lines of a Fiesta ST (with Mountune upgrade - even then I prefer leftfield cars, so I'm not totally convinced - would be fun though) or an older Golf, Audi or BMW - however, that inevitably sad day is still some months off, so I just need to make sure I gain maximum enjoyment when the weather improves (at the moment it's between -1 and +5 here - too much risk of hitting an icy patch to get heavy with my right foot).

The vRS is such an understated car that I never get any bother while I'm out in it - very, very few people will know it has 180PS and DSG.

• Like 1

I bought mine when it was a year old and planned to keep it till the end of the manufacturer's warranty. I ended up taking out the Skoda-approved extended warranty (two years) as I didn't want to part with the car - and certainly couldn't have replaced it with anything similar for what I originally paid for mine (on a level playing field - year-old car with similar mileage, performance and equipment). I'll be sad when it finally goes (extended warranty expires 29/09/15) and I'm struggling to think what to do next. A car is a bit of an extravagance for me as I only do around 4,000 miles a year (car sits in the garage most days of the week - I get the train to work), but it's still a handy thing to have (and for a bit of Sunday afternoon fun). At the moment I'm thinking along the lines of a Fiesta ST (with Mountune upgrade - even then I prefer leftfield cars, so I'm not totally convinced - would be fun though) or an older Golf, Audi or BMW - however, that inevitably sad day is still some months off, so I just need to make sure I gain maximum enjoyment when the weather improves (at the moment it's between -1 and +5 here - too much risk of hitting an icy patch to get heavy with my right foot).

The vRS is such an understated car that I never get any bother while I'm out in it - very, very few people will know it has 180PS and DSG.

If you do that sort of milage then you are mad not to own a V8 of some description.  Get an early Audi S4 V8 for 5k now, or 6k for an avant

eg  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Audi-S4-Avant-4-2-quattro-5dr-4WD-only-58500-MILES-/141543761562?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20f4aa669a

If you do that sort of milage then you are mad not to own a V8 of some description. Get an early Audi S4 V8 for 5k now,

That certainly sounds tempting. I'd just be concerned about the cost if something went Pete Tong - although I suppose that's a bit rich coming from a vRS owner :p.

I'd imagine the road tax might be a bit painful as well. MPG not an issue though.

That certainly sounds tempting. I'd just be concerned about the cost if something went Pete Tong - although I suppose that's a bit rich coming from a vRS owner :p.

I'd imagine the road tax might be a bit painful as well. MPG not an issue though.

Ahh. You only pay tax once a year. I dont know why people fuss over it so much haha.

Not cheap to run. But itd be awesome.

Ahh. You only pay tax once a year. I dont know why people fuss over it so much haha.

Not cheap to run. But itd be awesome.

Point of principle. Was thinking about an r32 but post '06 they're something like a monkey plus a year in RFL - for which you get absolutely heehaw in return.

Point of principle. Was thinking about an r32 but post '06 they're something like a monkey plus a year in RFL - for which you get absolutely heehaw in return.

Yeah they are. Emissions are mad arent they. But its all worth it for the sound. The sound is awesome aha.

• Like 1

Things to think about , the DSG has 7 ratios so transmits the sweet spot of power more often than a car with less gears, also the graph I had from my cave showed constant max power from 5-7k , when u change up at 7 k it drops to 5k , so max power all the time on max throttle, most cars need winding up!

• Like 1

Always liked these polo gti's myself. 1.8t. Could go a long way with a few quid spent on it.

Not necessarily this one, but this is tidy.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181631092001

I looked at the 9n3 GTi when I bought my MKI vRS, if they'd been 180PS I might well have bought one (I know I could have easily remapped it in excess of 150PS but remapping is not for me).

They brought out a Cup edition late in the production life but it was mainland Europe only - sad, as it came with 180PS as standard and looked the part as well (a different body kit).

I looked at the 9n3 GTi when I bought my MKI vRS, if they'd been 180PS I might well have bought one (I know I could have easily remapped it in excess of 150PS but remapping is not for me).

They brought out a Cup edition late in the production life but it was mainland Europe only - sad, as it came with 180PS as standard and looked the part as well (a different body kit).

They'll tune easily to 300bhp though wont they?

I guess if tuning isnt got you then fair enough, but its defo worth capable of a lot more than 150bhp isnt it haha.

They'll tune easily to 300bhp though wont they?

I guess if tuning isnt got you then fair enough, but its defo worth capable of a lot more than 150bhp isnt it haha.

Definitely, the 1.8T is very flexible (I'm sure the original S3 had the 1.8T) - think stage 2 on a 9n3 is about 225bhp. I think VW didn't want it to take sales away from the Golf - my view is that if you're going to do something, do it properly, which VW acknowledged to a certain extent by bringing out the Cup edition.
  • Like 1

My problem with debating is the number plate. No hiding the fact I have a vRS but off the lights I had a 4 litre Bentley the other day then after 20 he obviously left me for dead but the initial pull if you get it right is phenomenal!

My problem with debating is the number plate. No hiding the fact I have a vRS but off the lights I had a 4 litre Bentley the other day then after 20 he obviously left me for dead but the initial pull if you get it right is phenomenal!

He probably didnt realise you were gonna race till you set off haha. Then decided he'd probably best put you back in your place haha.

I love the vrs for the surprise other drivers get in fast cars when you leave them for dead or they cannot get past you. I definitely think "it's just a skoda" makes people in quicker cars tail gate you but then when you smoke them and they give up to save face puts a massive smile on my face.

I've left many bmw tailgaters behind and a Audi TT 225 wishing he could get past me. I've also found that not many people will race off the lights against the vrs maybe cause they think they would easily win or something.

Overall a great car, great gearbox and I love the old Skool puff of smoke as the turbo spools up and takes of like a rocket.

If your talking of Golf's the mk5 edition 30 with dsg would be nice, not far off the power of an R32 and you could map it to leave the r32 in its wake

Edited by MikeyjUK
  • Like 1

I love the vrs for the surprise other drivers get in fast cars when you leave them for dead or they cannot get past you. I definitely think "it's just a skoda" makes people in quicker cars tail gate you but then when you smoke them and they give up to save face puts a massive smile on my face.

I've left many bmw tailgaters behind and a Audi TT 225 wishing he could get past me. I've also found that not many people will race off the lights against the vrs maybe cause they think they would easily win or something.

Overall a great car, great gearbox and I love the old Skool puff of smoke as the turbo spools up and takes of like a rocket.

If your talking of Golf's the mk5 edition 30 with dsg would be nice, not far off the power of an R32 and you could map it to leave the r32 in its wake

But the r32 sound...

Many sound better or go better than a Twincharger, and use more petrol as well,

and draw attention to the tea leaves and toe rags.

But a vRS with a sound engine cost a lot less to buy and maintain, and maybe to insure.

If the vRS is not the right car for you then just get something else, it is that simple really obviously.

• Like 1

I love the pace of the vrs, after 9 years with mapped mk1 roaded at 189bhp I was already thinking I would need my mk2 mapped as well but the engine gearbox combination is fantastic and I don't wish for more power on the road, it can be driven flat out on a quite country road with a modest pair of balls, I don't think the same could be said for the like of an M3 or 911 etc and I cant wait to get the suspension sorted out!!!!