Do you ever get shocked by the VRS's pace to BHP ratio

Ant FR

I guess whether you are shocked or not by the vRS pace depends a lot upon what you are used to. I used to think that the vRS was quite quick until I got the M135i. Now when I've been exclusively driving the Beemer for a couple of weeks I get used to that then jump back in the furby and it takes me awhile to readjust to the lower performance. Doesn't feel special anymore which is abit of a shame, just feels like a normal car. Gave myself abit of a fright the other day when I pulled out for an overtake and took me way longer to get past and safely back in again than I had anticipated. Found myself jiggling up and down in the passenger seat shouting "just mooooove god damn you!" Lol!

On a plus note the slower pace means you can rag it that much harder whilst staying at sane speeds which is obviously quite fun.

Looking forward to trying out the Furby at Santapod in May. :-)

• Like 3

I guess whether you are shocked or not by the vRS pace depends a lot upon what you are used to. I used to think that the vRS was quite quick until I got the M135i. Now when I've been exclusively driving the Beemer for a couple of weeks I get used to that then jump back in the furby and it takes me awhile to readjust to the lower performance. Doesn't feel special anymore which is abit of a shame, just feels like a normal car. Gave myself abit of a fright the other day when I pulled out for an overtake and took me way longer to get past and safely back in again than I had anticipated. Found myself jiggling up and down in the passenger seat shouting "just mooooove god damn you!" Lol!

On a plus note the slower pace means you can rag it that much harder whilst staying at sane speeds which is obviously quite fun.

You not taking the BM?

Bit late to this party but I will gladly join the choir here :)

Many a time I left seemingly faster on par cars behind and many a time I was stuck behind them when their proud drivers would not allow themselves to admit Fabia can be faster than their beemer, merc, audi or vw.

I loved those Yellow Russian Batgirl vids, excellent :)

I would argue about here professed uselessness of the "S" mode. I personally find it excellent and way faster around race tracks than manual or God forbid "D". Unashamed red line full bore performance and "S" is my friend :). It is not perfect and I found it literary twice (two times) in trouble when it wasn't in the gear I wanted it to be but that was more me making a in corner mistake and confusing my baby :D.

I very rarely do traffic lights GP as my usual routes do not have the right conditions.

I remember one instance on a dual carriageway coming off a round about with well modified scooby next to me. Was left behind initially but when it's big arse turbo came on song caught up quickly. He was all smiles and thumbs up and gave me a fireworks show with his anti-lag system when he was about peel off into an exit :)

I still have 3 years warranty left and not even thinking about changing :). All I am thinking about know is where to get the money from for chassis mods he he he

• Like 2

Indeed , I take the eunos out when the weather is nice, I cannot exploit the performance of the vRS on the public road, it's too quick, bet you can't drive the Beemer to its limits at all, not safely and legally , however my perfectly balanced RWD , LSD , no electronics , mark I mx5 is awesome with its 115 bhp :)

• Like 1

Only had my MK2 for a couple of weeks so not many miles of experience to base any comments on but I have owned "quick cars" previously, a 240 BHP Civic Type R and 335 BHP Scooby STI. Both completely different types of car to the Twin Charger but both show how good it actually is, as a 40+ year old my days of traffic light grand prix's are certainly over especially with the family in the car, my 15 mile B road commute is a breeze and overtaking is never an issue, yes I get tail gated, usually by german motors that race up behind me in the 30/40 mph limits expecting to out drag me as we reach the NSL but are sadly mistaken :)

Once this crap weather has departed I'll have more of a play with the DSG but for now D suits me fine.

Cheers

ACSC

• Like 3

Indeed , I take the eunos out when the weather is nice, I cannot exploit the performance of the vRS on the public road, it's too quick, bet you can't drive the Beemer to its limits at all, not safely and legally , however my perfectly balanced RWD , LSD , no electronics , mark I mx5 is awesome with its 115 bhp :)

Yeah there is no way whatsoever you can fully explore the limits of the M135i on the road. Luckily it remains huge fun at sane speeds too, which is just as well really. It's easy to have fun provoking the rear a little in the wet, and the noise it makes is just sublime. Even short-shifting at 4k rpm in sport mode gives a delicious pop from the exhausts and still makes for rapid progress. And the inner child in me still enjoys blowing tailgaters and other chavs into the weeds in it :-)

I do still think back with fond memories to slower cars tho. The Abarth 500 I had was just a ball of laughs. Lots of fun mashing the throttle and wringing it's neck through every gear. Not über-fast but such fun. Try redlining every gear in the M-135i and you'll be heading to jail or the hospital....

If I could justify having a third car as a toy I'd be seriously tempted to have another Abarth and unleash some mods on it. Stripped interior, uprated suspension, remap, loud exhaust etc. wouldn't want to live with it everyday tho!

• Like 2

What do you think the potential of a 1.2 tsi monte is? I know a stage 1 brings it to 130bhp, has anyone got above 150? Cos round town it's great but the exaust is shocking and i've always wondered if an exaust style like the golf r32 would fit? I think that would really suit it

It's a good little engine, but it's potential directly relates to how much £££ you want to spend on it.

A map and good CAI kit could see close to 140bhp I'd imagine. But to get the big figures you need a bigger turbo, better downpipe, intercooler etc etc.

I would map it, fit a good CAI, and then look at handling mods. RARB, FARB, good quality coilovers etc!

Orrrrrrrr just save up and look to get a quicker car for your next one??

• Like 1

I keep saying to myself "hmm maybe i can add a few small mods and make it a bit quicker" then the next day i'm like "hm maybe i should save up for a faster car" :D if i decide to keep it then i'll remap it or get a tuning box possibly but will look into that next year

Even when you get that faster car, you will always want something quicker!

it's a curse lol! I dream of the day I can finally get a BMW M135i, but I know once I get one, I'll be after more speed (Stupidly)

My sister has the same car as you, she adores it, and I can see why, it looks great, drives well, cheap to tax, insure and run.

Just enjoy it and save up for the faster next one. :-)

Even when you get that faster car, you will always want something quicker!

it's a curse lol! I dream of the day I can finally get a BMW M135i, but I know once I get one, I'll be after more speed (Stupidly)

Funny you should say that mate, this is the first car I've had where I'm totally happy with the power and not craving more! Didn't think that would ever happen lol

Funny you should say that mate, this is the first car I've had where I'm totally happy with the power and not craving more! Didn't think that would ever happen lol

Until you get used to it. Then youll want more eventually.

Shame power is so easy to get used to. :(

Yeah there is no way whatsoever you can fully explore the limits of the M135i on the road. Luckily it remains huge fun at sane speeds too, which is just as well really. It's easy to have fun provoking the rear a little in the wet, and the noise it makes is just sublime. Even short-shifting at 4k rpm in sport mode gives a delicious pop from the exhausts and still makes for rapid progress. And the inner child in me still enjoys blowing tailgaters and other chavs into the weeds in it :-)

I do still think back with fond memories to slower cars tho. The Abarth 500 I had was just a ball of laughs. Lots of fun mashing the throttle and wringing it's neck through every gear. Not über-fast but such fun. Try redlining every gear in the M-135i and you'll be heading to jail or the hospital....

If I could justify having a third car as a toy I'd be seriously tempted to have another Abarth and unleash some mods on it. Stripped interior, uprated suspension, remap, loud exhaust etc. wouldn't want to live with it everyday tho!

SWMBO is after an abarth as her next car... a 595! :o

• Like 1

Let's be realistic here, mk2 vRS in the great scheme of things is not really a fast car, there sooo many faster cars around. What is not around is such a fantastic bang for buck on all fronts. 

Dave, 595? Wow, Ash surely caught the "small, moderately fast, truck loads of fun chuckable" car bug :D

EDIT: The more power thing, absolutely true, you get used to more and more and more... The feeling I've ever got was getting out of a 125cc 2-stroke race tuned screamer of a go-cart and driving a car. I seriously thought the car was broken. I thought throttle pedal did not work as the car was not reacting to my input, brakes had cut lines and steering wheel was disconnected lol. Michael Schumacher was pulling more g's in a go-kart around Monaco F1 track during some charity race that he did in his Ferrari F1 during the race!

Edited by Jabozuma
  • Like 1

I keep saying to myself "hmm maybe i can add a few small mods and make it a bit quicker" then the next day i'm like "hm maybe i should save up for a faster car" :D if i decide to keep it then i'll remap it or get a tuning box possibly but will look into that next year

Next year a vRS MK II will be even cheaper to buy. Not many people tune the slower model spending 1,000's to make it perform as the faster model. In the long run most likely cost more time you've upgraded suspension, brakes, gear boxes, wheels, etc. Then there is the additional maintenance costs and extra insurance.

Suggest saving up, buying a vRS and slapping a 1.2 badge on it.

lol.. thats a race car for the road matey ;) it includes the race series engine, and the sequential gearbox... not an everyday driver! lol..

the 595 is a better compromise.... faster and more tuned than the standard car, but still an everyday driver ;)

Even more reason to get one next......... :devil:

Wedding? Nah Beemer instead Sweetie....

New House together? Nah Beemer instead Sweetie....    I think she'll be ok with that!?

If she truely loves you.., she'll want you to be happy ;-) lol

• Like 1

SWMBO is after an abarth as her next car... a 595! :o

Go for it! The 595 competizione looks the business.

My local dealer has them up at £189/month for a standard car though to £259/month for the top spec 595 Comp (both with £2.5k deposit).

http://www.abarth-uk.com/finance/

That's before discount tho, not sure how much can be negotiated off this.