Major service not so major..?

Hyphons

Other than the Citygo which is t+d service regieme all the other vehicles don't need a service for 2 years so where's the prerequisite there then?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Presumably, that the car WAS serviced properly at two years....and you have the paperwork to prove it.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

If you have a legitimate Warranty Claim and get a knock back because of mis-information from Dealership Employees 

it is not just like a kick between the legs, it can be a hard hit on the bank balance if £4,000 for an Engine or £2,500 on a gearbox,

and the Dealership is not having a whip round for you.

Get all verbal information given by Employees down in writing and have them sign it.

Counts for little sadly, because often they move on taking their words of wisdom with them and not backing up what they said.

They move on because they say how bad dealerships are with customer services yet seem to miss that they might be part of the problem.

In my opinion and experience I would recommend you do have your car servicing done at the dealer for the first 5 year's. Then when the brown stuff does hit the fan you have a good chance of factory goodwill. I remember a Yeti coming in whilst working for Skoda. Timing chain failure. I stripped down the engine total mess. Best thing was a new engine. Customer was upset and we went for factory goodwill. Car was almost 4 year's old and it had its 3rd service done by an independent. So Suk would only contribute 20% . The customer had saved himself £30 on his service but lost out by hundreds on this repair. You pays the money you make your choice.

VW Group Dealership Employees talk often of Factory Goodwill.

Well forget that ****e if VW Group have fundamental design, manufacturing, component choice and quality control failing, 

poor translation of Technical information and lack of catching snagging faults and revising Servicing Regimes or implementing 

Service Campaigns.

VW Dealerships can really not continue ripping off customers on Hourly Rates and parts for servicing just so Customers 

get some help with VW lemons.

As it is there are Technicians that worked for VW Group Dealerships saying a Service gets done in 30 minutes, 

keys from Service Desk, and rush through the job and hand over for a wash and vacuum.

See post #52 in this thread.

That is actually near to fraud, if not fraud....    Anyone involved is conspiring to defraud.

Work Sheets should show time spent, parts used, after all VAT is being charged,  that VAT is to go to HMRC.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I don't know where the fraud bit is coming from can you explain your comment . 30 minutes is the time given by the dealer to the Technician to do an oil change service.

I now work for an independent there no time limits imposed and we don't follow what the dealer does as it's not value for money. Like spark plugs that you spend most of your time bleating on about. ..They just don't last long enough.

Edited by FLAPPERJACK7

Crux of the issue really that people are not seeing it as there is charging for labour and parts that might not be used or work done is rife with National Pricing and 'changed as required'  then VAT is added.

Dealerships averaging out the servicing and quick servicing getting charged the same as more involved,

then Upselling taking place leaves Customers that trust professionals to keep them safe are left being conned over 'Advice' to replace 

80% worn brake items when they are 20% worn, well they might be if actually measured.

People are being ripped off by being falsely charged because all in 40 minutes was spent working on their car, 

& 20% is on top of that.

RE Spark Plugs.

If you mean in Twinchargers, maybe more 'Trained Technicians' should have checked all 4 and less engines would have ended up as scrap.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technichal/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Service Regimes / Guidelines might say 40,000 miles and there are no mis-fire codes, 

but anyone with an ounce of knowledge might check the gap on the one plug that has a premature demise.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Ok think I see what you mean. If your charged for something and your not getting it then obviously that's fraud.

Like I previously said when you take your car to a dealership it's generally repaired in an efficient time (as fast as possible ) think about what I'm saying here. It's been that way forever. It won't be changed anytime soon. These people get out of bed in the morning to make money for themselves, the company the owners the shareholders.

In an ideal world the manufacturer would own and run the garage but they don't because it's not lucrative enough and it's nothing but hassle.

Michaelski....my first service was £90 and I paid less than half of your £350 for my second service (which included rear-brake strip and clean.....which WAS done!). This was from my suppling dealer who also gave me a huge new-car discount (I paid cash). It seems that you are being "taken for a ride" by your current dealer!

I was quoted £90 too by a dealer 20 miles away (not my local dealer).

After reading all of the above Posts, it seems as though us Citigo owners are caught between a rock & a hard place, and in all reality, we HAVE to use a Main Dealer (with their hugely-inflated prices as matching accessories) or run the risk of jeopordising our Warranty in the (probably very rare) event of having to make a claim.

Whatever, most Skoda owners will (I very much suspect) meekly do as they are advised: trot into the Main Dealer when a Service is due, & cough up whatever bill they are presented with.        Only a few (like us uns on Briskoda) will read the small print & apply a modicum of intelligent interpretation to precisely WHAT we are going to get in return for our hard-earned shekels.    When one reads the Servicing schedule, it actually does look quite comprehensive (but so it should - if I was writing the propaganda myself, then I would also put forward a very good case) & "looks" as though one is actually receiving quite good value for money.

It's the extremely short-sighted (& equally-extremely greedy) Dealers who seemingly don't give a toss about their existing customers, & act as though there's ALWAYS going to be another mug around the corner, & that these people will beat a path to their doors, just to buy a new car from them.    Realty proves otherwise, & whilst people WILL act as predicted on occasions, they will ONLY follow the flag whilst it suits them - when there's a better car/a better deal/a better prospect on offer, then these same people will vote with their feet, & their wallets.    Thus has it ever been so, but Car Dealers NEVER seem to learn.

• Like 1

Well, barnie, You're certainly going to let a lot more "bang for your buck" than I'm expecting on my first service - & also what our No.1 son actually got for his first, even though it cost him £169 for the privilege of being ripped off: we're both using the same Stealer.

Our local Skoda Stealer has obviously got a monopoly on what's out there, and short of getting equally ripped off by going to either a local Seat or VW Stealer, I don't seem to have much in the way of options - so I'll have to bite the bullet, & look happy (or distinctly unhappy) but either way, it's not going to make any difference.

Second service next week, quoted £130 - haggled down to £100 but guess its quick once over, aircon check, pollen filter and oil change and filter by the looks of it.

My second service included a "rear-brake strip and clean"....helps avoid the problems that some on here experience.

1st (& Minor) Service done last week - & I shelled out over £143.   From what I could see, ALL (at least of any note) that I did get, was an oil & filter change.   TRUE, I was specifically reassured that all of my tyres were 8mms across the whole width, and were therefore "good".     Didn't really need that, as I bought Premium tyres (Goodyear Vector Allseasons, Generation 2 - and what superb tyres they indeed are) at 4.5k, to replace the cheap-&-obsolete tyres that were factory-fitted, so at 6.5k, I was hardly expecting anything else but "good".    & according to the check list, my Spare & tin of gunk & inflator, were both ticked as "Green" - although NO-ONE had been into my boot: if they had have checked, they would have seen that (somewhat unusually) I did indeed possess both.    Also ticked as checked, were the spark plugs, pipes, brakes etc etc etc (I somehow doubt that) as I was in-and-out of the Stealership in a max of 45 minutes, so if the guys did anything more than just the oil & filter, they must have been working like greased lightning.

So, if I hadn't been held to ransom by the Warranty/PCP issues, I could have actually received an awful lot more for my shekels.   So I'm now looking forward (I don't think) to forking out some £350 for the Major Service - by which time, I should have clocked up some maximum 15,000 miles.            I wonder what's going to be done in that Service?

I'll just have to console myself with shelling out for just Group 1 Insurance: zippo RFL, & 65+ mpg.   IS IT WORTH IT???

Could you not just have asked the Service Desk person to ask the Service Manager if the spark plugs were removed and checked, or if the technician just checks off things on a list that they do not actually check?

Meaning you can have no faith that safety checks were done, like not just treads, but checking sidewalls for bulges on even nearly new tyres,

(no idea why Spark Plugs were on the check list or ticked of they were n/a at the service you had.)

Maybe ask that now of the Dealer Principal in writing,

you may get a discount on your next service if they are just chancers and no better than Fast Flit Dancers.

Maybe as well to tell us who you did pay to do your Minor Service if they are actually as untrustworthy as you think they are.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Yeah, I could have done ALL of those things, GoneOFFSKi, but in all truth, I couldn't really be arsed.   Apart from which, I'd only expect to be on the receiving ends of a load of platitudes (including Duck-Billed ones), as I'd tendered my concerns well before the Service, & I didn't emerge any more re-assured than I was before.   

I had an oil & filter change, & in truth, that's all that I was expecting.   Yup, it was mega-expensive, but that's the price one pays for having to use a Main Dealer, aka having bought the car on a PCP.        As I said, after spending no more than 45 minutes for waiting for my car back after the Service had been carried out, I KNEW that nothing very much additional was going to be done - they simply didn't have the time to to do much more than the oil change, & checking a few obvious (but not time consuming) items..   Certainly brakes & plugs WERE NOT going to be checked, & everything on the (quite comprehensive) check list were ticked.   BUT, at one year old: with only 6.5k on the clock, & with the car seemingly running just as it says on the tin, it was my assessment that there wasn't going to be much that DID need doing - apart from the oil change.

Perhaps the next Service (a so-called major one - at a very major price) may be more value for money???  But even then, the car's only going to be 2 years old, & with some estimated 13-14k, so no major problems anticipated.   AND (assuming that the Referendum doesn't ban all foreign cars from entering the UK, or send their prices through the roof) I intend to trade it in for another one.    If Brexit does have a major & adverse impact, then it may be time to consider buying Korean or Japanese?

• 1 year later...

So is it under 20.000 miles.   It will be needing s oil and filter change, a pollen filter.  A free wash and vacuum and a look see and a report on the condition,   so some will want the Major Service price because a 16 quid or less pollen filter was fitted,   money for old rope really.   Top up washer fluid.  Looks at other stuff,   body condition check.    Best not get ripped off.  Ask what they are charging extra for. 

5000 miles it's done. Won't need a wash and vac as I won't let them touch it with a sponge!! 

It's also needing some warranty work doing which I'm hoping they'll be able to look at while it's in. (Condensation in the side repeaters and a squeaking noise when slowing down and turning to a stop).

I'd be able to do filters myself if I got the tools required... 

Also, I bought the car from a KIA dealership, and it had its first service there as far as I can tell, will this affect warranty claims? 

just trying to to figure out my best options.

Edited by Jonny118118

Kia service should've been OK seeing as they are a VAT registered establishment and should've used correct oil and filter,  but you'lol need the invoice if not on Skoda computer system.    Best tell them car needs warranty work.  Separate from servicing anyway.   Then negotiate the service you need.  Or DIY in final year.  Use an independent,  or bite the bullet and pay for the nice coffee machine and suits in the showroom. 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

That sounds reasonable. I'm pretty sure I paid more for my 2nd service at the local Skoda dealer with only 5K miles showing.

Edited by ronime
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jonny118118,

If you've been quoted £140 for a 2 year Service, then that's VERY good - I paid more than that for a First years' Service, & all they did, was to change the oil & filter - everything else on the "check list (for want of a better phrase) was either ticked as OK (even items that I knew for definite that they hadn't even looked at) or in the main,, ticked as "not required".   Even at 12,000 miles, it's highly unlikely that you'll need either new spark plugs (most of the current offerings are good for around 25lk) or also a pollen filter - so at 5k, it's not likely to be much more than an oil & filter change, whatever "they" may tell you.

The quote for a 2 year Service for me (mileage then being around 11k) was around £340, and AGAIN, it was only going to be an oil & filter change, so I voted wityh my wallet (& feet) & went to a reputable (albeit NON- Skoda Dealership) garage, where I not only watched the mechanic check various areas in the one hour that he spent on it, but he was also forthcoming with knowledgeable information about what he was doing/what actually needed to be done.

Citigo's tend to be reliable little beasts, & driven "reasonably" it's unlikely that they're going to need much in the way of more than routine servicing for perhaps 5-6 years.,     A reasonably-experienced driver KNOWS when it's time to change the plugs: have the brakes replaced etc etc etc.  If you intend to keep the car for a few years, & you know of a reliable & trustworthy garage, then if I was in the same boat, I would use them, rather than the bog-standard Stealership, who charges mega-high rates, in order to subisdise his showroom/coffee machine/essential tools etc etc etc.

• Like 1

Hi Jonny118118,

YOU'RE the one who pays, so it HAS to be what you feel is the best for you.   In all truth, if I needed some work doing under the warranty, then I'd return to the Dealer (warts & all) rather than to an Independent.   Staying with the Dealer until the Warranty expires is good thinking: I'm on a 3 year PCP, so in another 9 months max, the car will be going - I ain't not going to shell out mega Bucks on a 3 year old car.   I don't anticipate anything that would fall in the terms of the Warranty going wrong - driven within the sensible limits of them, it is my experience that the Citigo's are thoroughly reliable little beasts, so I reckon that it's rather unlikely that there'll be a call for Warranty work: looking at owners' reviews, it seems that the main problems/moans are mainly confined to the ASG models. 

The Independent that I took the car to for its' 2nd Service, really did carry out an exhaustive check, (I watched him & I trusted him) & he was of the opinion that the Citigo was a well-designed & well-built little car, & little was likely to go wrong.      VW (whatever their warts) have a reputation for building "solid" little cars, & the Up (basically a Citigo in a "designer suit") don't seem to attract any detrimental comments from the Motoring Press, & the Citigo, seems to be equally, if not more, favoured.

The Hyundai i10 may (repeat "MAY?") be slightly the better car (it's indisputably horses for Courses as far as these 2 cars are concerned) but if anything ever does happen in that particular neck of the woods (& it sounds quite an increasingly likely possibility at the moment) then perhaps buying South Korean at the moment, may possibly not be the soundest idea - it's certainly giving me food for thought.   

• Confused 1