Best family estate car up to £8k

Jigger72

I'm thinking of trading the Superb in for an estate but want something that isn't going to make me weep with boredom every time I drive it.

The obvious contender is an Octavia vRS combi but is there anything else I should be looking at?

I considered the Mazda 6 Tourer TS2 or Sport but not sure after reading all the DPF issues with it.

Cheers :thumbup:

I'm thinking of trading the Superb 

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!  :no:

What about an Accord or Avensis? - the latter being surprisingly roomy.

Passat?

Gaz  :'(

Edited by V6TDI

How about an Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon? A mate of mine has one in red with the 1.9 Diesel engine and I've got to say its a handsome looking car and it drives fantastically well too.

He's had it for over two years now without any dramas and it's certainly something a little bit out of the ordinary.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/alfa-romeo-159-sportwagon-estate-2007-expert-review

Was thinking Exeo too. A friend has a '10 plate wagon CR140 and it's a nice ride. A lot of car for the money, even when compared with a vRS (which he considered and tried at the time). Plus it's solidly made, as you'd expect for a previous-gen A4.

In an ideal world...

I can't believe you can pick one of those up for that little.

Usual thing of economy and maintenance costs, means 2nd hand values are pegged back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the Exeo but the boot's a bit small for what we need. The Accord Tourer is a contender, but the Avensis is one of those I think might be a bit dull :think:

The Passat is difficult to find with the 168BHP engine and my mate had an Alfa 159 wagon and although he says it was a brilliant drive, it spent more time at the garage than on the road.

I briefly flirted with the idea of a Jag X-type 2.2D Sport but again, the boot is tiny and we need to get bikes and stuff in there.

Keep looking I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the Exeo but the boot's a bit small for what we need. The Accord Tourer is a contender, but the Avensis is one of those I think might be a bit dull :think:

The Passat is difficult to find with the 168BHP engine and my mate had an Alfa 159 wagon and although he says it was a brilliant drive, it spent more time at the garage than on the road.

I briefly flirted with the idea of a Jag X-type 2.2D Sport but again, the boot is tiny and we need to get bikes and stuff in there.

Keep looking I guess.

From my experience of driving them as new (<6 month) hire cars I'd avoid the Accord and Avensis. Good solid cars, but you'll die of boredom if you're approaching this search with that in mind. The Avensis being the king of boredom in that size segment for me.

Passat is also quite dull in my book too. Alfa as you say is a bit of a risk but looks epic.

X-Type wagon looks nice and miles better than the saloon. But as you've spotted, bit a of a 'fashion estate' really and not much room.

E class estate? Are huge inside.

They certainly wear their mileage well! 

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/e-class/mercedes-benz-e-class-3-2td-e320-cdi-avantgarde-5dr/3289260

Never found 'normal' Mercs that interesting to drive mind you, especially compared to a comparable BMW. 

Accord is a bit of a used bargain. Merc money new, Mondeo money used. Handles quite well but the engines are a bit underpowered compared to the VRS. Also a bigger heavier car.

V50 is also a nice car and if you could get a D5 in budget they're nippy.

Mate had a lot of bother with his 07 Mazda, DPF and rust issues. Neighbor has a newer one and likes it a lot, he tows a caravan in Europe with it, hasn't had bother.

Older 320d with rwd is always an option.

E class prior to 06 have rot issues, you can spot the update, the front light have louvered strips on them rather than plane. I was considering the E-Class before I got the Accord. 320d is the fast one but the 280d isn't far behind but a fair bit cheaper.

Edited by Aspman

I've got a mazda 6 Ts2 estate and had no DPF issues. It was only the gen 1 that had the issues. Still I would stay clear, too many issues with timing chains etc.

What about a Subaru Legacy estate, practical, fun and frame less windows (duno know why but I really like the windows!)

I'm thinking of trading the Superb in for an estate but want something that isn't going to make me weep with boredom every time I drive it.

The obvious contender is an Octavia vRS combi but is there anything else I should be looking at?

You answered the question in your own first post!

Octavia estate, or Superb estate.