mirrorlink

stug45

So, it is my birthday in a week or two so treated myself to a brand new Sony Xperia Z3, this is one of the phones that is apparently Mirrorlink compatible. After dropping nearly £450 on a new phone I can confirm it works, here's the kicker though.

This crap is not fit for purpose. Its useless, cumbersome, fiddly and unreliable. The sygic sat nav app is also unreliable.

I set a route out to my home from the cinema, this is a 15 minute drive, I couldn't use Mirrorlink as the picture on the car refused to update to match the phone.

Long and short of it is that Mirrorlink is not fit for purpose, regardless of whether you are pre or post week 22.

I won't be getting another Skoda, lets put it that way.

So you are saying because of something like MirrorLink that has nothing to do with Skoda you won't buy another??

So you are saying because of something like MirrorLink that has nothing to do with Skoda you won't buy another??

More or less, yeah. Its not because the Mirrorlink just doesn't work, its the lack of commuication or any evidence that they are trying to resolve the issue. Its more the customer service.

That being said, I love my car, its just the lack of customer service or communication that has put me off.

Glad I bought a keanu airframe I will just use google maps and Bluetooth sound over. Bad enough that mirrorlink doesn't work with iPhone but to buy a phone that is supposed to work with mirrorlink just adds insult to injury . Don't let it spoil the new car Blakeo1987.

• Like 2

I am using the iPhone solution as Mick 50, and it is workable for now. The point is we have been miss-sold and Skoda need to give us some customer service. The last thing they need is bad press in a very competitive market.

I am not letting it ruin my new car experience but I will fight to the bitter end for my rights. It begins here Skoda...

• Like 2

I was told by a few sources that iPhone would work via a future update.

I'm sure there were reviews with the matter documented.

Lying to journalists who write reviews......

• Like 1

It seems there is hope for the ones of you that have not yet received your car. I've ordered mine on ~20.03 and it was supposed to be built this week. I've ordered it with Mirrorlink (I think it came free with Bolero). I've called my dealer yesterday and he said that my car is now listed as having SmartLink. So, I guess the order date doesn't matter, just the build date.

Still sucks to wait 3 months for a car, though...

Zup your car comes with smart link because it it built after build week 22. [emoji4]It might suck waiting 3 months but that that's better than waiting 3 months and getting mirror link like Me and a lot of others on here have . Enjoy your new car when it arrives I pickup mine on Monday a full 3 weeks early and I think that's down people cancelling orders which I would have done if I didn't need it . You can't beat the smell of a new car in the morning [emoji4]

• Like 1

Hi, I am Italian owner of Skoda Fabia Combi with Bolero System.

I am very sad, and Hungry! I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 brand new and in the Compatibility List on the Skoda Official Web Site there is NO PHONE able to be MIRRORLINKED with a navigation app! 

I spent about 1.000 € to have a Bolero Infotainment System and it will not work?

How can I solve this?

Have I to buy a Sygic Navigation App ? 

It Costs 79.90 €

Hi, I am Italian owner of Skoda Fabia Combi with Bolero System.

I am very sad, and Hungry! I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 brand new and in the Compatibility List on the Skoda Official Web Site there is NO PHONE able to be MIRRORLINKED with a navigation app! 

I spent about 1.000 € to have a Bolero Infotainment System and it will not work?

How can I solve this?

Have I to buy a Sygic Navigation App ? 

It Costs 79.90 €

You're asking the same questions as everyone on this thread, and nobody has the answers. The compatibility list does list phones with mirrorlink, yes, but (AFAIK) there are exactly four models. They are:

HTC One M8

Sony Xperia Z2

Sony Xperia Z3

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

It's unknown if the list is accurate anymore, or if the situation can evolve for listed phones (i.e. is it possible for an uncompatible phone to get compatibility with a software upgrade, or worse, lose compatibility after e.g. updating to Android L). It's also unknown if compatibility is the responsibility of Skoda or phone vendors. At the moment, the situation with MirrorLink seems so uncertain that Apple CarPlay or Android Auto seem to be better bets, but yet again it's unknown if it's possible to upgrade Boleros from MirrorLink to SmartLink. It's also unknown if Android Auto will really be usable outside Australia, US and UK, as SmartLink Boleros have not yet shipped to customers (they will start arriving soon, though, and we know that Android Auto availability WILL expand, but we don't know when).

Please complain about this to your dealer and have them join others in pressuring Skoda to solve this issue and provide more information.

Hi,

I have tried a Galaxy S5,HTC and a Sony Xperia Z3 compact

They will mirror link but The apps won't work when the vehicle is in motion!

So no SAT nav- if I download full Sygic-will that work??

I have spoken to Skoda technical and they are working on it!

This has been ongoing for 2 months- anyone know if we're likely to get a solution??

Thanks

They say that if there are any updates from mirrorlink will be made available that was from a manager at Skoda customer service on Thursday . But no time scale , they are working on it is the standard excuse I'm afraid .

Only approved apps will work while the car is moving , I have I sygic but it's on an iPhone so I'm told it won't work so I will find out tomorrow when I get my car .

Hi,

I have tried a Galaxy S5,HTC and a Sony Xperia Z3 compact

They will mirror link but The apps won't work when the vehicle is in motion!

So no SAT nav- if I download full Sygic-will that work??

I have spoken to Skoda technical and they are working on it!

This has been ongoing for 2 months- anyone know if we're likely to get a solution??

Thanks

Apparently, Sygic must be the FULL VERSION, and must be plugged into the USB port with a data cable. It will not Bluetooth.

Then it is meant to work, although I don't know of anyone who has it working as yet!

• Like 1

apparently Sygic does work but not very well. It wouldn't be such an issue if a) Sygic was competent, b ) it was a reasonable price and c) you didn't have to change your £500 phone for another £500 phone to use it at all!

The compatible phone list is ridiculously restrictive and the app isn't good enough. If Skoda had reckoned it wasn't broke they wouldn't have fixed it would they  :thumbdown:

• Like 1

apparently Sygic does work but not very well. It wouldn't be such an issue if a) Sygic was competent, b ) it was a reasonable price and c) you didn't have to change your £500 phone for another £500 phone to use it at all!

The compatible phone list is ridiculously restrictive and the app isn't good enough. If Skoda had reckoned it wasn't broke they wouldn't have fixed it would they  :thumbdown:

This is one of the main issues.

If I KNOW for sure that Sygic was great and reliable etc,then maybe I would get a compatible phone.

BUT, are Skoda going to reimburse me for a phone and Sygic app if it doesn't work? of course not.

Why won't they? well because Mirrorlink is an external company and nothing to do with Skoda.

Pardon Skoda? you put Mirrorlink in your cars and sold us those cars. We are customers of Skoda and not Mirrorlink, get that into your dopey skulls.

This is a classic catch 22, rock and hard place etc situation, that they have no interest in being part of.

This is getting frustrating, but I will not give up!

• Like 2

Here here well said Kev I will let you know how bad sygic is later today Itworks fine on the phone but I betting it don't on the Fabia .

Have a great day Mick!

Enjoy your new wheels, and show us a pic when you have had a play.

• Like 2

Hi,

I would like to know how your phones are displayed when connected with mirrorLink.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. It has been updated to the latest software (4.4.2) for this device.

When connecting the phone to the car, on the phone, I go to settings>MirrorLink. I can then see the certified apps the works with MirrorLink, and I have at check box that makes the phone ready to connect.

Phone ready and USB cable plugged in. The phone now tells me that it’s connected to the car via MirrorLink. From now on, I can’t use the phone anymore. As long as the phone is connected, it’s locked.

On the head unit, Menu>MirrorLink, I can see the 5-6 apps that are MirrorLink compatible. These apps are the only ones I can use.

I do not have the option of using other apps. - Not even at a standstill.

Is there anyone who is able to use apps that are not on the compatible list?

Does anyone have full mirroring of their phone onto the head unit?

Hi,

I would like to know how your phones are displayed when connected with mirrorLink.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. It has been updated to the latest software (4.4.2) for this device.

When connecting the phone to the car, on the phone, I go to settings>MirrorLink. I can then see the certified apps the works with MirrorLink, and I have at check box that makes the phone ready to connect.

Phone ready and USB cable plugged in. The phone now tells me that it’s connected to the car via MirrorLink. From now on, I can’t use the phone anymore. As long as the phone is connected, it’s locked.

On the head unit, Menu>MirrorLink, I can see the 5-6 apps that are MirrorLink compatible. These apps are the only ones I can use.

I do not have the option of using other apps. - Not even at a standstill.

Is there anyone who is able to use apps that are not on the compatible list?

Does anyone have full mirroring of their phone onto the head unit?

The Samsung Galaxy 4 mini is not mirrorlink compatible, so you will not get the full amazing(?!) mirrorlink experience.

I don't know of anyone that has Mirrorlink working properly yet............anyone?

Hi,

I'm right back from my Dealer and I have Bad News.

Fabias build before BW22 won't get a Software- nor a Hardwareupdate.

They've build in new controllers into the car itself, independent from the "new" Bolero-/Amundsen-System which are required for SmartLink (especially for CarPlay). So it is Not enough to deploy a new software or exchange the head-unit.

I don't Know which kind of controllers these are but I guess it's a Wi-Fi-Controller separate from the Smartgate-One. Or even some Sensors.

As it even affects me, I'm totally pi55ed.

Edited by klopsknoedel

Hi!

I have just ordered the new Fabia 1.2 90 SEL Estate for the Mrs so thought I'd have a look about on here for any useful information regarding the new purchase.

Little did I know about 'Mirrorlinkgate'! Having done some research on it now and read just about every post on here regarding it I am slightly annoyed at the way the dealer described this to me(told me would work with my android phone, no mention of only specific handsets, just that iPhone wasn't compatible). I have now mentioned my findings to him, something that he seemed to have no clue about so I am awaiting a reply to see what he says!

If my car hasn't been built yet(so post week 22) does this mean that it will indeed have Smartlink instead of Mirrorlink and therefore have Android Auto and Apple Car Play? Or is there still no definitive answer on that?

The Samsung Galaxy 4 mini is not mirrorlink compatible, so you will not get the full amazing(?!) mirrorlink experience.

I don't know of anyone that has Mirrorlink working properly yet............anyone?

So if you have a compatible phone, you would be able to get full mirroring - So as you can see and use non compatible apps when you parked?

I suspect that the screen goes blank when driving.

I thought, if only the phone had MirrorLink under the settings menu, the phone would be compatible. Apparently not!

One idea might be http://www.caraudio-systems.de/skoda_vim_eng.html

I saw somewhere that a guy has done something similar with his VW Polo and MirrorLink

Hi!

I have just ordered the new Fabia 1.2 90 SEL Estate for the Mrs so thought I'd have a look about on here for any useful information regarding the new purchase.

Little did I know about 'Mirrorlinkgate'! Having done some research on it now and read just about every post on here regarding it I am slightly annoyed at the way the dealer described this to me(told me would work with my android phone, no mention of only specific handsets, just that iPhone wasn't compatible). I have now mentioned my findings to him, something that he seemed to have no clue about so I am awaiting a reply to see what he says!

If my car hasn't been built yet(so post week 22) does this mean that it will indeed have Smartlink instead of Mirrorlink and therefore have Android Auto and Apple Car Play? Or is there still no definitive answer on that?

As far as we understand it - yes. You should get Smartlink and everything will work.

But nobody has actually taken delivery of one yet to truly confirm that!