USB port - Audio Media ? (ipod)

USB port - Audio Media ?? (ipod)

In the lower centre dash theres a USB port, is this just a charging point or will it control a IPOD ? (does not seem to work with a nanno)

Thanks

Doesn't it depend on the unit? I. E. The bolero and amundsen won't control an ipod via usb but the columbus can?

Yes the new Columbus (week 45 last year) and Swing can, Bolero and Amundsen need the mitsumi thing (not sure if it's a special connector or just a software thing) to control. That is until week 22 when the bolero gets an update.

At least that's what I have been told by my dealer and read on "interweb" ;-).

Edited by TomLux

aha, even the older ones? I have to admit that most of my reading was done on the Bolero since that's the one I'm getting (so not the expert on the Columbus). Even the dealer wasn't too sure about the Bolero since they have had about 3 of all their Octys that were ordered with it. The rest had the standard Swing or the Columbus/Amundsen.

Unfortunately it won't control an iPod, you need the mitsumi for that.

Hi - so for the bolero and amundsen, is the mitsumi a factory option or something that can be purchased and plug anf play ?

Thanks

My car is coming up to a year old and controls the iPod faultlessly. All Columbus units can in the mk3 :-)

Interesting - my Columbus doesn't seem to recognise any of my Apple devices via USB?  Music (and phone) works fine over Bluetooth, and the devices charge when plugged in, but can't seem to access the iPod/iPhone/iPad via the Columbus… anything obvious I'm missing?!

It's a factory fit option, I don't knwo if it can be fitted retrospectively

Whilst in TPS I managed to obtain the part numbers for the loom and the mitsumi socket but they were factory order only so cannot be retrofitted. This was also the response from SUK customer service when I enquired. However how would the dealer repair a faulty mitsumi connection on a car that had the option?

Other forum members have suggested using a BMW cable that has a USB and 3.5mm Jack connection in order to use standard interface with iPod connectivity, but I'm yet to be convinced.

In sum Mitsumi is the one option I wish I had ticked.

Interesting - my Columbus doesn't seem to recognise any of my Apple devices via USB? Music (and phone) works fine over Bluetooth, and the devices charge when plugged in, but can't seem to access the iPod/iPhone/iPad via the Columbus… anything obvious I'm missing?!

I don't know something doesn't sound right. I just plugged mine in using the standard iPod usb lead and it connects and displays Skoda on its screen and allows the columbus to control it

My dealer told me that even with columbus the usb ipod "in"only allows skipping of tracks , you can't navigate the menus with it , is this true .

The sooner VAG get rid of this nonsense connection and just use the USB interface like the rest of the planet, the better.

The next gen ones will have native Apple usb support but they're not in the octy 3 yet.

As it is I have ordered columbus and canton anyhow, was pretty sure the dealer had it wrong , even more surprising he drives an Octy 3 vrs with both the above options !

This is my columbus working with an Ipod on a standard USB lead for all those non believers...

Do you have to do anything special to get that menu?  My Columbus will charge my iPhone/iPad/iPod, but won't allow me to select USB or see any music.  Just want to make sure I'm not being daft before I go to the dealer...