Beef's scratch built ditchmeister

B33fy

Engine back together, almost, got to replace a gasket on the front cover after checking for debris today. Bought an alternator and bespkoke bracket unfortunately its chromed and a bit out of place. No doubt the pish will be taken

24729268420_e838562825_b.jpg

The garage owner, sizing it up for his own car, more.. rather taking the pish.

24397932013_cbb747abb6.jpg

Taylor came along and gave me a hand today, thanks Taylor, :)  so got the fiddly job of cutting the carbon dash pretty much done other than a final trim and a few holes.

24397939923_d9415c350f_z.jpg

Expecting a new clutch fork and a few other bits tomorrow, once arrived the engine can be married up to then box and slotted in the hole. :)

• Like 2

Quick update tonight as I've got a headache,, nothing to do with banging my head on the car lift about a thousand times today.. Engine is almost in on its own, needs another hour tomorrow morning and it'll be on its own custom mounts. Wheels should turn up tomorrow and maybe exhaust, forgot camera again so some images tomorrow.. off to find a box of aspirin.. :D

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 1

Few more bits added today, rebuilt the injection/manifold/plenum though struggling to find a couple of gaskets for final fitting, so looks like some home made ones are in order.

24837426190_2b59b440f5_z.jpg

Tidying up the engine loom so that can go on tomorrow.

• Like 4

Engine loom fitted, gaskets made and fitted for the trumpet base plate and plenum, all done up nicely now. Master cylinders fitted along with low level warning floats/ switches, which involved modifying the caps. Forgot camera again...

Forgot to mention, propshaft now fits :) just need to find some bolts.

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 2

Some more progress on the Viento this week thanks to Chris. Radiator fitted along with the fan. Engine stabilisers, aka classic mini, fitted. The engine isn't going anywhere now... Couple of images below:

25018529800_52ddffc340_z.jpg

25287637056_20d1a70a86_z.jpg

Flexible brake pipes made and fitted on the front today. Sized up the remote oil filter housing for fitting. Finally got a game plan with that. first of all order the correct size hose and an extra 135 degree fitting so it can be connected up. Continuing with wiring hopefully have the dash wiring finished tonight for a fitting tomorrow.

Other news, had the grant turned down for my home charger, installer says I'm liable for the extra costs, I say has he ever had a 4 metre charging cable trailing out of his arse before... (still attached to the charger). Down to him to apply for the grant, just in case you think I'm being a little harsh. FWIW got a registration for the new car though no sign of a delivery date. Not worth the hassle should have got another Golf.

• Like 1

Yesterday was one of those frustrating days when I couldn't get anything finished for one reason or another. James came along with me today so did a few jobs easier with two of us. Though not critical to getting the car running, they needed to be done nonetheless. So at least a couple of things off the to do list now.

Grill done, the holes can wait.

24722443613_666dae3535_z.jpg

Seat sorted.

24718594074_c5a3bed150_z.jpg

Started to swap out the fuel sender unit, made a plate up as the new one was a different hole size. ran out of time so will pick that up next time. Continuing with the wiring at home, after a bit of down time with James, to go through some Uni stuff to keep him on track.

• Like 2

Trimmed down cycle wings which are now on the car, along with the prop shaft which is finally bolted in place. Awaiting exhaust and rocker covers still.. usual pish poor service,, empty promises etc. Heard all the excuses when I built the other one they get boring after a while, at least I haven't blown my top yet.  Dash Wired up all bar half a dozen soldered joints and a few multi plugs on the tails.

25452847865_f021593fc0_z.jpg

Long weekend off, so hoping for some more progress, with the target of being on the road around week commencing 14th March. :)

• Like 3

Cycle wings are on though need painting up. I trimmed the outer edge so that the wheel could come off without too much difficulty and got the arches a nice snug fit to the tyre, so overall very pleased with them. I would say the cycle wings themselves are not the best quality, with gelcoat imperfections and rather thin.

25263440250_cd0b6705ef_z.jpg

Finally decided on a home for the remote oil filter housing and got that in place today. Just need to order one more fitting to make it all connect up. Has been a bit of a PITA as the hoses are not particularly flexible along with the inlets/outlets needing to be in certain positions

25191500459_369d21cf17_z.jpg

Other bits and pieces, new fuel tank sender ready to drop in the tank. Remote reservoir's now plumbed in. Off on A/L tomorrow so more of the same. Then off for a week next week for the final push  :) Luckily I had loads of leave to take before the end of the financial year (March), so it's worked out ok.

• Like 3

Exhaust has turned up... Looks loud lol..

In other news awaiting phone call from Mercedes re: delivery of the elusive 350, dropped the golf off for a little love and attention before it goes, hoping for a swappsie in the next week or so.

• Like 2

Been working on the car this weekend..

In other news, daily driver back from the body shop yesterday (again) and cleaned this afternoon.

25129155684_5047c9a3d0_z.jpg

ok..ok, didn't take any images of the viento, my bad, just too busy working on it and before I knew it,, its home time..

Lots of small jobs going on, connecting clutch, and throttle cable both need a few mods or parts. Finished oil pipes for the cooler and remote filter housing. Started making up and putting in the front loom. Doing it in situ, then removing tidying  up, wrapping and connecting not necessarily in that order. Rocker covers are finally on their way, they better be nice after all the aggro getting them.

Keep looking at my rear brakes might have to do something about them, they look a bit.. eerr..  small  :D

On the Viento for the rest of the week so hoping to make serious inroads into all the outstanding jobs.

• Like 2

Seriously impressive stuff.

Thanks Jason, much appreciated, and thanks to all who have taken an interest in this project and are willing me on to get it done. :) The loom is now on the car wrapped terminated and connected, except at the fuse box/dash end where I have a mass of wires to work through. I've put a few hoses on and the Davies Craig water pump is fitted. I'll grab a couple more images tomorrow.

Finally the rocker covers have turned up and about time.. taken 2 months to get here. They look well finished etc. just hope they fit well and keep the oil in the engine. First Job tomorrow is to fit them on the engine which should make a considerable difference to the appearance. It also means I can get on and fit the induction pipework.

25213637263_ea8bd72fd2_z.jpg

• Like 3