Beef's scratch built ditchmeister

B33fy

Found another company to avoid.. YBRacing. Ordered a rather lovely OMP steering wheel,.. flat bottom etc. etc.. and a hub to fit my column of choice, Megane Scenic. Arrived a few days ago, Hub was decidedly second hand with damage and the wrong one. Steering wheel was ok. It was not packed very well, left to rattle around in a box which was way too big for the contents. Hub went back along with an exchange of.. shall we say.. "to the point" emails which have resulted in a new hub being sent and hopefully arriving Monday.

I've a feeling they are thinking.. "wtf, what a knob, fitting a race wheel to a Renault Scenic, lol"

Also bought a B&G steering wheel spacer which is rather nice, so I can fit everything to the column and make sure the column is mounted in the right place for me. The spacer will come off after IVA and be replaced with a B&G quick release steering wheel mechanism, which are frowned upon by VOSA.

Once I get the right hub on Monday I'll bolt everything together and post up an image.

• Like 3

Finally got a new steering hub today which fitted, it needs a small mod, a couple of notches cut out the back so the self cancelling indicators work. Bit of a disappointment that it didn't work straight out of the box, but you can't have it always, after all its a brand new part, designed to fit the application :dull: The steering column is a mash up of parts from four different places as I couldn't find a local car to strip done. Anyhow its pretty much there except for positioning and fixing into the car. Mock up below..

20221064494_2e3e214308.jpg

Hopefully should be able to get back on it soon and crack on..

• Like 2

Had another bash on the soapbox, more done, still needs a coat of paint some steering rods and the brakes fitted. Didn't go with the tillett in the end, didn't think it was in keeping with the soapbox ethos.. found a breakfast bar stool at the ,,eerrrr,, breakfast bar,, and cut the legs off instead.

21010922835_fa67aefccb_z.jpg

• Like 3

Soapbox done, all bar a little tinkering on the start line tomorrow, weather not looking good, all part of the fun. Didn't have time to paint it as it was a bit of a rush today had to go into work, so just finished it now. About to get packed ready to rock and roll tomorrow lol.

21336638326_429c73d4d5_z.jpg

• Like 3

Great day out, result not brilliant, killed the front bearings after the first run proper, shoved some tractor counterbalance weights on the front which killed them off lol. Kenton and Rich entered along side us, as the SKCC (southern kit car club) Trio, and cleaned up, Fastest Time, Highest Speed. longest distance travelled. so a good team result. Some mods to be done and we'll be back next year. :)

James intimidating the opposition..

21396554561_8be2555d39_z.jpg

Just about to eat Batman for breakfast

21377274932_e8623ebefc_z.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Managed to grab a few hours over the weekend and fit the pedal box, still needs a small bit of work and general tidying up. The Steering column is also in place, albeit needing a couple of 12mm rivnuts/bolts to finish off. I also need to get a column extension made up to connect the rack and column together. It needs a triangle on one end and square on the other. Indicators self cancel and steering column locks which is all good, along with an option to use the old air bag clock spring to put some buttons on the steering wheel, maybe some extra flashers, intercom etc.

22081813782_e1ec2ff132_z.jpg

21471464914_629a98813a_z.jpg

22068118836_5813574728_z.jpg

21473147403_2ac31e24e3_z.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks all for the congrat's on the degree, much appreciated :)

Ordered some carbon cycle wings from a kit car forum group buy, as the deal was too good to miss.. arrived today, nice enough though a few blemishes in the weave and gel coat, for the money I'm not complaining. Won't need them for a while mind...

22169986115_773f7cf710_z.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I need a load of parts machine cut for mountings, gussets etc, along with various other bits.. so teaching myself CAD. Bloody complicated to say the least. Following a load of tutorials which are really helpful.. first efforts of a scooter wheel below..

22250679803_d20da03916_o.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A belated thank you to Karlos and apologies to all following the thread for little in the way of updates. Just not able to find the time to get on the project. Had to rip the house apart and put a new 28mm gas pipe in, along with a new boiler. Easier to do that than dig up the drive. Fitted a trick wireless thermostat system while I was at it.. Gadgets ehh..

Also helping son James to keep organised for uni, he's doing brilliantly with great results so far (maths degree) He's also now a brown belt and in the uni karate team.

Back to the project,.. made an executive decision and decided I need to get on the road pronto, so have acquired a car as a rolling project, which is sort of roadworthy which I need to pick up. Already caught upgraditus and will be doing an old Skool engine swap which shouldn't take too long. I'll post up a few more details in due course

Here's a taster of the engine and box for the transplant lol.

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 3

Bit of a plan forming, picking up car on the 23rd and taking it to a mates garage for immediate remedial work, mot and engine transplant. Got 3 weeks A/L to take so can work along side the lads to get it done. The plan is to keep it pretty standard with the injection. Though help it breathe a little better with an aftermarket filter and a bespoke exhaust system. Got a great deal for bespoke headers, side exhausts and heat shields, one on each side, so ordering tomorrow to give them a chance to get it made in time for the car. Might get a few dress up parts for the engine, at the very least give it a coat of paint before installing.

Hoping to fit a new dash at the same time, as the current one isn't to my taste,.. Was going to go dash2 again though fancy traditional dials, (vdo's) price wise not much in it. Also going to fit a slipper if one comes up at the right price (Sierra diff)

And a new set of wheels, staggered set of 17's with 7's front 9's rear with trackday tyres. That should be me spent out for a little while, though hopefully on the road. Which reminds me I got an insurance quote, nearly fell off my chair, half the price of the vstorm at £120!!

The cost of a good night out, a result IMO lol.

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 3

Getting quite excited about the car, ordered some tyres, federal track day tyres though they look more like summer tyres, good enough for hooning.. Got some bespoke cast rocker covers ordered, need a bit of bling..

Going to knock the guts out the water pump, remove the stat and go electric with a Davis Craig setup, better temp control and it will stop heat soak when switching off. Toying with the idea of getting rid of the dizzy and old flapper injection system and going hotwire with a megasqirt ecu, no real power advantages but smoother and more reliable running, though it's not a priority.

My mate has offered to repaint the car, he's suggesting a Bentley colour, gunmetal of sorts. I'm really keen to go meteor grey with some highlights. (Sorry B/F lol)

• Like 1

Getting quite excited about the car, ordered some tyres, federal track day tyres though they look more like summer tyres, good enough for hooning.. Got some bespoke cast rocker covers ordered, need a bit of bling..

Ahem, 

I seem to remember a conversation last weekend that you were not going to go mad on this... I told you then I didn’t believe you  :D

• Like 3

Federal tyres were out of stock, so after a bit of faffing about a set of Nankang medium compound track tyres are on their way, along with a staggered set of Team dynamic pro race 1.2's 17 x 7 front 17 x 9 rear. I've gone to the maximum ET on the rears, they will probably still need adjusting with some hubcentric spacers to fill the arches out. Pick up still on for Saturday.

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 1