O3 vRS TDI Combi - My Review of Demo Car and Questions.

Cant fault it Rick!

It does everything I need it to do. Did a recent trip over to the Emerald Isle and it didn't miss a beat. It's returning 43mpg long term which is calculated using a fuel app on my iPhone which counts the litres and miles I do.

There is a slight noise coming from the passenger seat, as though the seat isn't locked in to its runner, probably just something needs tightening. And the front badge has lost a bit of chrome, both jobs getting done this Thursday under warranty.

Spec wise I'm happy with it, I've a bog standard VRS as I felt it has enough stuff standard. Bought a VCDS cable to tinker and add high beam assist and a few other bits, more adaptability than BMtechnic!

Did you decide what to do yet?

Yeah... went and ordered a Merc C Class instead.. :D

Our E61 525d is still sat on the drive after the arrival of the Octavia.

The interior space is very similar, probably more rear leg room although the boot is narrower.

Despite being -25bhp the skoda has a very similar straight line performance weighs 300 or 400Kg less! Top speed is 10mph down. 

The chassis setup does not compare (525d SE touring, Octavia 2.0tdi elegance, exact same size tyres), the Octavia is more softly sprung and loses composure over undulating terrain when pushing on whereas the BMW naturally with it's inherent weight balance is an excellent handling car. The Octavia's variable electronic power steering is annoying compared to the BMW.

Our 525d does 35ish mpg, the brand new skoda is already saying 50mpg.

The Octavia's engine noise is more annoying (4cyl Vs 6 cyl) but not actually any louder then the BMWs inside the cabin.

I'm very happy with the Octavia, however it was bought with a very different set of requirements (2 babies now in tow) than our previous BMW's.

Ps) Canton upgrade is a must have especially coming from a 5series.

What made you choose that over the Octavia?

A few factors really.... one been as I have ordered a C350e, plug in hybrid so the BIK tax on a company car works out less overall than the Vrs for a £41k car v a £27k Octy.

While I liked the vRS, i could just not put my finger on it to say yes and order when comparing with the Merc from a spec point of view in the car. Yes the merc is lacking in space compared to the Octy but with an extra 100BHP over the vRS and the option to run on EV to and from work / school runs etc and also as the C350e is new to market it felt like something a bit "different" if that makes sense...

• Like 1

A few factors really.... one been as I have ordered a C350e, plug in hybrid so the BIK tax on a company car works out less overall than the Vrs for a £41k car v a £27k Octy.

While I liked the vRS, i could just not put my finger on it to say yes and order when comparing with the Merc from a spec point of view in the car. Yes the merc is lacking in space compared to the Octy but with an extra 100BHP over the vRS and the option to run on EV to and from work / school runs etc and also as the C350e is new to market it felt like something a bit "different" if that makes sense...

My next car would definitely be some sort of electric car. Not sure if the hybrid technology is there yet in this generation.

That's the car I wanted to go for "but" in the end gave up with the dealers, tried 4 and in the just gave up.

I will be watching the other site for updates ;)

• 1 month later...

The BIK on the C350e make it very appealing to Company Car users, not sure what the actual fuel costs would be with the Petrol+ Electric Setup or what the lease payments are like.

I currently have a c250 AMG Line until December, which is a nice car, but never feels as sprightly as its 0-60 time would suggest.

The new C Class is a nice car although we have had a few issues with the 3 we ordered.

• Dab Radio is bad compared to the Audi A4 I had previously you can be listening to a station stop the car and turn back on and it cant find the station, MB uploaded a fix but it has started doing it again)
  • (Audio20) Garmin SD Sat Nav is slow clunky and routes badly (It was 50 yards from the destination and it wanted me to take a 30 minutes detour)
  • Random rattling sound from the dash which took two attempts to fix at the dealers
  • Adblue required topup before first service FOC from MB at around 12k (It looked like they put it in with a catapult on mine all over the window, filler cap and back door)
  • New rear tyres at 10k - 12k
  • One car was delivered within a week the EML came on MB tried to fix twice, then the director told them not to bring it back after that and he got an A5 Sportback
  • Centre console is easily scratched and attracts dust
  • Rear camera is good for tight spaces
  • Only Manage to get Park Assist to work once, but it does what it says on the tin
  • Collision warning is a bit random at times
  • You may die trying to find the button you want on the centre console, however they look nice
  • Voice control only works the sat nav not the telephone
  • The voice control on the sat nav cannot understand you

It is a nice car at £35k and a big step up from the W204, but stuff like the infotainment should be good and work spot on and it irritates me to death, I suspect the Command system is better and worth the extra money.

Having 3 young children space is an issue, which the C250 is not bad but nothing compared to the Octavia, we can just about fit all the required equipment for a visit to the caravan in the merc, the VRS Estate I borrowed swallowed the lot plus more.

When I drove the Skoda you can see where the 10k price difference is in the quality of materials on the doors and switchgear but that is to expected.

I have ordered a new VRS Estate in Red for when it goes back in December with the following (Had it 12 months)

• Black Design Pack Plus (Mid Life Crisis)
  • Leather Heated Seats
  • Spare Wheel
  • Columbus (Had one in my Mk2 VRS)
  • Rear Camera (Blame Mercedes)
  • Electric Boot (Blame Audi and the mrs)
  • Panoramic Sunroof (Not had a sunroof for ages)
  • PDC

No doubt the Skoda won't be perfect but i'm in it for three years.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

so.. in the end i did a near ish full circle... ended up ordering a S3 Superb Combi !

Good car Rick....gather you got the 150 TDI SE Business is that right? Sweet spot of the range right there I reckon.

Good car Rick....gather you got the 150 TDI SE Business is that right? Sweet spot of the range right there I reckon.

Thats right, i also thought it was the sweet spot in the range spec v price.

Thats right, i also thought it was the sweet spot in the range spec v price.

Definitely....start going SE-L Exec or L&K spec they soon start becomming unwelcomely expensive...in my view anyway.

Car is light so the 150 engine propels it with all the verve required (much as it does the Octavia) and v good levels of standard kit. Fit and finish is more Passat-like too.

I actually think in many respects the S3 SE Business represents better value for money and is a better car than the O3 Elegance/SE-L.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...