Forum Support

ChrisRs

• Administrators

brisky is part of a business as thats the only model I had available when the tax man came knocking; explaining paypal, cheques on top of wages :nerd:  As brisky is a not profit it could easily drop into a co-op or equivalent NFP setup. I discounted charity status, but I don't have the nouse to advise myself, so that maybe flawed. In a way doing something would make it cleaner and clear. At the moment I do some client work and then burn that down working on briskoda and the ideas wall of fame.

Technical stuff for sure, it's not that complex, a bit quirky, but biggest issue is trust. Who to hand the keys to with personal data etc. I've been incredibly lucky for the first 10 years to have people I've met also share outlook and passions. Just a case of having a few beers and chewing the fat. I'm no sysadmin. But paying for one versus taking 2 days to read a book saves me £400 quid. When it takes me a week to read the book I then think I would of been better outsourcing it ;) I did that for this setup, or rather I did the setup, then got a tech to validate it. The biggest challenge is in software, this forum is due to be replaced, but no timescale, makes building the next thing more difficult... for me at least.

Currently working up a new setup script to automate rebuild, config etc. Basically since my mate died climbing I've got this big red bus syndrome book, I've been quietly seeking partners in one shape or another, tech and business/mentor. Because it's all in my head, including the key passphrases. Not a good place for a person who wears a crash/rock helmet for fun!

Edited by ColinD
making sense, slow down.

Thanks for setting up the donation area Colin. I'm not sure how relevant any of my skill set is for the Forum so I've sent £20.

Is there the possibility of setting up a regular standing order?

I for one would happily contribute at least £5 a month for no other reason than I've enjoyed Briskoda for the best part of 10yrs and I understand that just because it's free to join and use, doesn't mean it's free to run/manage.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Wipes tear from eye, thank you.     To your question, yes and no, it can be done, not tested it, as I've not thought it right before.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

As I mentioned; in passing, I've got a 'new site' in the wings/shadows. I'm holding and waiting because, this IPB( the forums) code is in place and 'working'. It's also got a major update pending, but it's been pending for 18months now... So both options are a major update/overhaul moment, ground up re engineered by respective software companies. So change is coming!

I've held of as they are both so different, building for either is viable, but not both. The point, sorry, was that the 'website' not the forums should get a bump to show off areas better. I've done a few versions and keep updating as I've learnt more, now again as I've switched technology myself, such as it is in IT. So it's March's objective to roll new non forums area out. This is to hopefully layout the stall for the next few years of direction and what visitors are coming here for... This then is ahead of April, not lost my calendar foo, as April is my next do I don't I review for forum platform. That and a ford logo on every page for a morning. I really must do that, no not a good idea?

Now, SWMBO is going to be unstoppable. My lovely wife will want shelves putting up now too as that was another good idea she had months ago.

I sometimes like to compare Briskoda with watching football

My local team is Lincoln City FC

For £18 every fortnight I could endure 90 minutes of purgatory which is Conference League football, run the risk of being beaten up by neanderthals who don't even go to watch the football, get home and think why the hell did I bother

For £12 I can access Briskoda 24/7 365 days a year, enjoy discounts from numerous sources which can quite easily cover that £12, and enjoy the banter and camaraderie of like-minded people in the comfort of my own home

And in over 6 years of membership I've only been threatened to be beaten up twice :)

What's not to like?

• Like 3

So why can't you make a DONATION of £12 and become a Freedom member!!

I am as of now, so from this moment forward I am now an equal member of this site.

All that has gone on before stops now, you don't have to agree with who I am or what I believe in, so if I say something you don't like then address me in a respectful manner and you will get the same back and that extends to everyone on here.

• Like 4

I am as of now, so from this moment forward I am now an equal member of this site.

All that has gone on before stops now, you don't have to agree with who I am or what I believe in, so if I say something you don't like then address me in a respectful manner and you will get the same back and that extends to everyone on here.

So that would make you a first year then

Just because you are a Freedom member doesn't mean you get any special treatment.

• Like 1

I first came across Briskoda quite a few years ago when I bought my first Skoda.

I was able to learn so much and found the process thoroughly enjoyable too, all thanks to the hard work that goes into running a forum such as this.

I prefer to give back by sharing the knowledge I have gained from this very forum. I no longer need to visit as often as I did but I continue to, not because I have to (suffering an issue with the car) but because I want to (I like cars, in particular Skoda's), the reason being I take pleasure in helping others on things that I enjoy.

There are questions being asked this evening in other threads that I asked when I first joined. If I know the answer I love being able to help someone out, in the same way you all helped me out.

This is how I choose to repay my debt.

• Like 2

Just because you are a Freedom member doesn't mean you get any special treatment.

Not asking for special treatment Graham!

I'm willing to be the bigger man and to ask for you and others to let by bygones be bygones, it up to you if you except it or not. Your choice.

So that would make you a first year then

I'm the first one having his lunch money off him.

• Like 1

• Administrators

You were an equal before and now also. Thank you :)

The peer pressure is one thing I'm not a huge fan of, even though it benefits the 'pot', the community as a whole isn't better for it. I appreciate the £12 is too much for some, we're all at different disposable income levels.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I first came across Briskoda quite a few years ago when I bought my first Skoda.

I was able to learn so much and found the process thoroughly enjoyable too, all thanks to the hard work that goes into running a forum such as this.

I prefer to give back by sharing the knowledge I have gained from this very forum. I no longer need to visit as often as I did but I continue to, not because I have to (suffering an issue with the car) but because I want to (I like cars, in particular Skoda's), the reason being I take pleasure in helping others on things that I enjoy.

There are questions being asked this evening in other threads that I asked when I first joined. If I know the answer I love being able to help someone out, in the same way you all helped me out.

This is how I choose to repay my debt.

You're not in any debt and that sort of contribution, knowledge is fantastic! Help and helping each other, how it was and shall be.

When I introduced advertisers I was worried about the upset, the balance. The same was true for freedom, I was painfully aware of potential issues, of creating tiers. Thats only really become really evident the last 6 months frequently, somewhere something has shifted. It's probably a tipping / numbers thing that a professor of psychology could advise on. I think the almuni work item will settle some minds down.

I've been looking at a few other things too today, like a badge if you write a how to guide etc... displays of contributions other than freedom. guys in the backroom have seen a few other brain dumps from the last few weeks.

• Like 4

You were an equal before and now also. Thank you :)

The peer pressure is one thing I'm not a huge fan of, even though it benefits the 'pot', the community as a whole isn't better for it. I appreciate the £12 is too much for some, we're all at different disposable income levels.

I have used a lot of motoring forums over the years and Briskoda is only one of two I have been more than happy to donate to as it has an actual value to me, within the money saved from advice posted by all on technical matters (everyone saves something on here in that way) and the general content and community environment/spirit. Even in the short times without owning a Skoda, before withdrawal symptoms set in, I have still frequented the forum and I find it impressive but understandable that so many members remain even after becoming such traitors! Hardly see that on other manufacture specific orientated forums! That is a huge sign of success right there and one of the most poniente I can think of. 

I wonder would a reduced 'Freedom' membership be an option as opposed to a set amount of £12 for a year, with an open box to donate whatever amount you like with the minimum donation of say £10 to attain the additional perks of freedom membership and £12 if you would also like a sticker? Leaving members free to donate a higher amount should they be in a position and choose to do so? Also as suggested above there would likely be a smaller number of members happy to make a regular donation on a more frequent rolling basis, would there be any scope to enabling such folk to set up as mentioned a standing order of sorts to activate and forget?

Either and or all ways being equal, FUBAR is still a happy camper here, cheers. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I wasn't going to mention the lower freedom model. I was looking at the £10 point, now were nearing deflation and all. This would be a digital only upgrade. I believe the free sticker is an important gesture and I'm not linking the free sticker to the £12, i.e. the £2 difference. I did genuinely price freedom all those years ago as £1 per month, equals 12, can send a free sticker too.

As it pans out the software does have a bit of a problem processing some orders on the address bit and renewals on addresses to hangs. This does put people off. I cannot fix as it's encrypted source. It's also working as intended by the developers book. The problem is, unless the user really wants to renew and contacts I don't know if they have got stuck. So actually a digital only option is better. How to get to the free sticker, a voucher code, useable once. I've been trialing it with renewals and it works well. So expect that to appear in the near future as the way it's done. 

The store is fixed in it's ways, can only buy one subscription, if it's not a subscription it won't reset groups after it expires, because its never going to expire etc. Other offerings do better and this then feeds into the change points I've raised previously.

I'll review the recurring and variable stuff tomorrow. It's probably going to be easier and better to publish details, like paypal address or bank details. Actually banking is worse, as it's 80p each electronic deposit, bloody hsbc, another thing I need to move away from, although frying pan fire springs to mind...

• Like 1

I wasn't going to mention the lower freedom model. I was looking at the £10 point, now were nearing deflation and all. This would be a digital only upgrade. I believe the free sticker is an important gesture and I'm not linking the free sticker to the £12, i.e. the £2 difference. I did genuinely price freedom all those years ago as £1 per month, equals 12, can send a free sticker too.

As it pans out the software does have a bit of a problem processing some orders on the address bit and renewals on addresses to hangs. This does put people off. I cannot fix as it's encrypted source. It's also working as intended by the developers book. The problem is, unless the user really wants to renew and contacts I don't know if they have got stuck. So actually a digital only option is better. How to get to the free sticker, a voucher code, useable once. I've been trialing it with renewals and it works well. So expect that to appear in the near future as the way it's done. 

The store is fixed in it's ways, can only buy one subscription, if it's not a subscription it won't reset groups after it expires, because its never going to expire etc. Other offerings do better and this then feeds into the change points I've raised previously.

I'll review the recurring and variable stuff tomorrow. It's probably going to be easier and better to publish details, like paypal address or bank details. Actually banking is worse, as it's 80p each electronic deposit, bloody hsbc, another thing I need to move away from, although frying pan fire springs to mind...

Perhaps with the sticker if it was worded differently, like £10 attains freedom membership/perks and £12+ also awards a free sticker option, rather than it seeming more like a buying a sticker on top? Or perhaps a blanket free sticker for first time membership only. I have keep loosing that bloody roundel (must have had it 3 or 4 years now) and have bought two banner ones separately in the past! I am going to find that git though, as my current Skoda is rolling naked on the sticker front still :D That reminds me, I must get another banner one for the rear though  :thumbup: