Is SIII the best looking hatch in its segment?

Thanks for posting!. Good to see it on the road in its proper environment. Looks more substantial and impressive when you park it next to other cars. I know they are 19" wheels and they won't be practical but they do look well but what's that hanging off the rear window?? :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rear wiper is an optional extra according to the German configurator.

That's good news for those whom this bothers.. Wouldn't be surprised if the Skoda UK dictators make a decision for us though.

The rear wiper is an optional extra according to the German configurator.

I can concur with that, just checked for myself!

90 euro option.

Skoda Germany appear to be on the ball with the configurator too.

That's good news for those whom this bothers.. Wouldn't be surprised if the Skoda UK dictators make a decision for us though.

SUK don't have the New Superb up on the configurator yet so no doubt will making the usual stupid decisions regarding what UK buyers can and can't have.

• Like 1

Skoda Germany appear to be on the ball with the configurator too.

4x4 models aren't yet available for configuration, perhaps production on those starts a bit later? Does anyone know?

it'll be annoyingly standard on an Elegance and L&K wont it!  :wonder: Looks great though!

On the German configurator they are optional on all trims. I'm in Europe though, at least for us it will be :)

Some 'real' photos of the new Superb out in the wild:

16855835155_68f4b2e548_b.jpg

16855834495_95fec575a7_b.jpg

16235879733_e9190385af_b.jpg

That's what you call 'Best looking hatch in its segment' (this statement doesn't include rear wiper though!  :thumbdown: )

Now, how about this??? http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/2017-skoda-superb-drop-top-rendered.html

Edited by joeboy1980
  • Like 2

Another pic of SIII from the streets of Prague.

The 2nd pic is a good comparison of SII vs. SIII - side view. Although SIII is slightly longer than SII, visually coz of the flat roof and upright rear window SII appears to be longer than SIII  :nerd:

post-120447-0-74485700-1426971780_thumb.jpg

post-120447-0-45975300-1426971814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another pic of SIII from the streets of Prague.

The 2nd pic is a good comparison of SII vs. SIII - side view. Although SIII is slightly longer than SII, visually coz of the flat roof and upright rear window SII appears to be longer than SIII  :nerd:

There seems to be a bit less glass in the side windows of the S3, especially at the rear.

The new car is a good looking beast, but it's lost the "limousine" look of the S2, & would seem to be just another competitor in the C/D notchback class.  

• Like 1

There seems to be a bit less glass in the side windows of the S3, especially at the rear.

The new car is a good looking beast, but it's lost the "limousine" look of the S2, & would seem to be just another competitor in the C/D notchback class.

I totally agree with you there on the look. As nice as it looks there is a sameness about it. It's difficult to see an Insignia or Mondeo comparison in the MKII but much easier to spot these lines on the Mk III. The current version has a real executive look about it especially in higher spec trim and for some people was a genuine alternative to an A6. Not sure if that will be the case with the new one but commercially of course I can see where Skoda is going targeting the volume fleet market etc.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you there on the look. As nice as it looks there is a sameness about it. It's difficult to see an Insignia or Mondeo comparison in the MKII but much easier to spot these lines on the Mk III. The current version has a real executive look about it especially in higher spec trim and for some people was a genuine alternative to an A6. Not sure if that will be the case with the new one but commercially of course I can see where Skoda is going targeting the volume fleet market etc.

I think the MkIII looks more like an Audi than the MkII. The MkIII has more executive look about it. Looks very Audi from the front and has an A7 look about it.

Yes, less glass area in SIII to the sides but more to rear window compared to SII. Hope that makes some difference to rear visibility from drivers seat in real world experience.

SII has one of the lowest beltline and now that's gone a bit higher too which reduces the glass depth! But the overall gain is the proportion of the car which looks stunning despite the fact that it is a hatchback. I bet it isn't easy to get the proportion right esp when they try to achieve best in class headroom and boot space. On that note....well done Skoda for the stunning exterior design without compromising on interior roominess of the car  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Have we been able to confirm yet whether the S3 is a pure hatchback or Twindoor (hatch and saloon) as per the S2?

I'm guessing the addition of the rear wiper suggests that it is a hatch only. The complexity of the twindoors mechanism was rumored to be why the rear wiper was dropped on the S2.

Another  :thumbup: from me on the rear wiper, swapping from the Octavia to the S2 every weekend has me pushing the wiper stalk to get a rear wipe before realising it won't  :D

That's a shame but it is good they have gone for a pure hatchback rather than a pure saloon.

BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Mercedes C Class, VW Passat etc. all have big boots but aren't much use as very little will pass through the tiny saloon opening.

I do prefer the looks of a saloon over a hatch/estate which is why the S2 appealed; saloon shape, hatchback opening.

I'll happily sacrifice the twindoor for a rear wiper though  :D

• Like 1

I like the look of the Mk3 , never thought the mk2 was a particularly good looking car , especially the rear

Nice to see a wiper , I remember it being a complaint for many with the mk2 but I bet wiper deletes become popular on the mk3 ;)

That's a shame but it is good they have gone for a pure hatchback rather than a pure saloon.

BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Mercedes C Class, VW Passat etc. all have big boots but aren't much use as very little will pass through the tiny saloon opening.

I do prefer the looks of a saloon over a hatch/estate which is why the S2 appealed; saloon shape, hatchback opening.

I'll happily sacrifice the twindoor for a rear wiper though :D

To be fair the Superb III does still look very much like a saloon so I suppose it might be the best of both worlds - the practicality of a hatch and the aesthetics of a classy looking saloon!

• Like 2

As much as I want to replace my current Estate with another due to the practicality reasons, if push came to shove at replacement time I could live with the hatch.

I got a washing machine in the estate over the weekend with no issues.

My current lease runs out in November, but they are slightly behind at present, so hopefully the Estate will be available to order by then.

As much as I want to replace my current Estate with another due to the practicality reasons, if push came to shove at replacement time I could live with the hatch.

I got a washing machine in the estate over the weekend with no issues.

My current lease runs out in November, but they are slightly behind at present, so hopefully the Estate will be available to order by then.

We just bought a new washing machine and it went in my twin door no problems.

• Like 1