Superb EGR problem

Skoda Superb II 170 bhp 11 plate 61.5K miles. Most of my driving is urban short trip but I do take the car for a run as per the handbook at least once a week. Fuel used is usually BP. The glowplug flashing light plus limp mode started before Xmas and a stop/restart plus another longish run cleared the problem. Every couple of weeks this fault would return and I believed it was a blocked or partially full DPF causing the problem hence it clearing with a good run. Finally got fed up and checking on various workshop solutions I bought the  VCDS software. Running this I got

2 Faults Found:
4891 - EGR Valve (N18)
          P0403 00 [104] - Malfunction
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 6
                    Mileage: 96752 km
                    Date: 2014.09.27
                    Time: 20:02:59

4892 - EGR Valve (N18)
          P0403 00 [104] - Malfunction
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 7
                    Mileage: 96752 km
                    Date: 2014.09.27
                    Time: 20:02:16

Readiness: 0 2 0 0 0

So this appears to be the EGR valve rather than the DPF. Car is still under Skoda warranty but is the EGR covered? Plus note the date of the failure, is this the first failure or the last?

I have not cleared the errors down yet. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated before I get on to Skoda tomorrow.

• Like 1

The EGR is a common fault, see this thread...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341827-early-egr-valve-failure-known-problem/?hl=%2Begr#entry4113487

It just so happens a guy over in the Octavia forum has had exactly the same fault (see VCDS scan on post #2). His local indy suggested EGR faults can also be DPF related...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/345051-dpf-fault-light/

Interesting read so it appears it is not down to how you drive it they are going to fail anyway! At least it is under warranty and at that replacement cost....Any idea about how the date on the fault logging works?

Should be no issue covering the EGR as long as you're in warranty. In fact, when I had an EGR fault showing the dealer immediately replaced the unit despite the fact that they weren't 100% sure if was that or another part of the exhaust system. This was because of the amount of known issues with EGRs and that was two years ago so many more since I'm sure. Hope you get it sorted without any hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine went at 30k around a couple of weeks after i bought the car and was replaced under the Škoda approved used car warranty.... Costly job when not under warranty.... In the region of £1200-1400.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering whether this is the same fault I am getting. The glow plug lamp has been flashing intermittently since the weekend and the Engine management Light is permanently on now. Only thing is I am not gong to into limp mode. Drives as normal at the moment.

I have posted earlier today hoping someone may be able to help. The car is in the garage now but he is struggling to get it sorted too.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a Skoda Superb, 2013 make, 1.6 liters engine and it is the third time I have problems with the EGR and I ve noticed they appear a few days after I change oil. Next time I will try one of those oil additives. First time when the EML and coil indicators light up Skoda dealer quoted the repair at £840 but the lights went off by themselves after a long run on the motorway (my car had 61000, was out of warranty). The second time I went to a local garage and they quoted £640 to change the EGR on my car but this time I solved the problem by having the EGR system cleaned by a professional using a method of decarbonisation that cost me only £150. Now, at 97000 miles, the lights are on again on my dashboard and I intend to clean it by the same method. Maybe will be helpful to mention that I am using my car for taxi and sometimes I run days at low speed, only in town.

So the solution for clogged EGR on VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, I think is the cleaning by the decarbonisation method and using a good recommended engine oil, maybe with an additive in it. Browsing the internet I ve found out that oil vapors can get in the EGR system and stick to the metal parts favorizing the carbon build up.

• 4 weeks later...

Have a Skoda Superb 1.6L Greenline. 77k kilometres approx. 

Got an engine fault last week and car went into limp mode. Towed to garage and diagnostic check indicated EGR valve fault.

Had it replaced. Skoda covered the parts as goodwill. Told that replacing was a 5 hour job. Labour cost €400 :(

Edited by skodacake
  • Like 1

Have a Skoda Superb 1.6L Greenline. 77k kilometres approx. 

Got an engine fault last week and car went into limp mode. Towed to garage and diagnostic check indicated EGR valve fault.

Had it replaced. Skoda covered the parts as goodwill. Told that replacing was a 5 hour job. Labour cost €400 :(

That's good to hear.  I remember a similar price for labour as well but luckily it was all covered.  What year is yours?