Tyre deflated, no TPMS warning?

Hi all, had first flat today, or at least very soft tyre (18 psi). Think it dropped quite fast so possibly nail or something. Thing that bothered me most was that the TPMS warning did not alert? I set the pressures a couple of months back so not sure why it did not 'ping'? Any ideas?

Steve

Thanks guys, that is helpful. That makes sense to me, it must have gone down pretty quick.. not sure why? Pumped it up last night and seems fine today. Have reset the TPMS again in case there is a slow puncture.

Superb thread on this. Many not impressed including me.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341258-tyre-pressure-warning-system-not-convinced/

Whereas many ARE impressed, including me. It does what it is designed to do, detect deflations that you would not otherwise know about as the pressure has not dropped dramatically which you would feel, but not enough for tyre to be visibly soft. This is from personal experience of three deflations. Edited by Bristolf2b

Ive had TPMS on my last four cars, sure ive had a couple of false alarms on the older vehicles but twice now its notified me of problems and correctly.

In the Octavia whilst it was massively inconvenient had a very good experience with it....70mph fast lan motorway....warning about rear right tyre......i ponder whether I should pull over.....did so.....a couple of mins later Im sat on the hard shoulder with a full flat. Without the warning I probably would have continued driving and probably only noticed the flat when the car started handling strangely.

Better still, Skoda Assist were with me within the hour and back on the road v quickly indeed (on my spare).

Also as I hadnt driven on the damaged tyre I managed to get it repaired.

Sure it wont work all the time but its not failed me yet....the ESP/ABS system on the O3 is v advanced so TPMS is generally more sensitive and accurate than older itterations. I love how it tells you which wheel has the problem, thats a huge improvement.

Mine has gone off twice - one was a slow puncture that I hadn't felt at all so it worked brilliantly. Second one was a false alarm at 70mph on the M25 which made me stop on the hard shoulder to check but it was absolutely fine. Suppose better safe than sorry!

Sorry that this is a little off topic, but my TPMS doesn't tell me which wheel is affected, I just get a general warning about all of them. Do you think this would be changed with a software update so would be something I need to query with my dealer when it goes for a service?

I definately see that image, I just don't think I have seen it tell me which wheel is affected. Maybe I missed it though! :peek:

I wonder if it is because I don't have colour Maxi dot like the elegance does? I'll have a look next time it goes off :)

Nope - if it lights up all 4 wheels it is a system error - you need to reset the learned values then go for a drive.

My first O3 did it almost every week until the BCM got replaced and the software on the Columbus was updated.

I see, that would explain it. Whenever its come up with a warning before its all wheels highlighted. Thanks :thumbup:

I remember a few people with the Octavia 2 have commented the same (ie. blowouts @ 70mph on the motorway weren't detected).

As you've probably learnt, it's useful to have as a guidance but I wouldn't put too much trust / faith in it :)

If those people really needed a warning ping and light to tell them that they had suffered a blow out at 70mph I strongly suggest that they shouldn't be driving at all.

• Like 1