The Apple Watch - £299-£17,000

gadgetman

what scares me about these smar****ches is the health monitoring aspect. How long before insurance companies cotton on and get hold of the data and make decisions about your policy etc?

Personally though as a device I fail to see the point of them. Low sales of other smar****ches show others feel the same.

Overzealous swear filter? Smar twa-t ches :dull:

The article says £299-£13500* in which case is much more reasonable LOLOLOL 

But in all seriousness £299 start point so £399 perhaps average price (unless you spec the one made out of platinum and ivory with diamond plating an a strap made of ET's skin) they will likely shift plenty. The ipad was laughed at by many as why would anyone want a big ipod? Late to the party with the ipad too, but in the way apple does, marketed it well etc. Will be the most challenging one to market yet. We all know what the scenes of the launch days around the world will look like, with all the 40 year old virgins queuing up outside their stores gagging for it........

Doesn't change the fact I have not liked a single apple product on its merits since my still going strong 80gb ipod Classic! 

Yes the apple advertising will make people feel they must have one thanks to some shadowy dancers, some loud music and the watch changing colours/options. Expect to see one in every rap video soon.

But £300+is about £100-150 over the new batch of watches from LG, Sony, Samsung and Motorola.

Especially when these devices really need the appropriate brand's phone to work as advertised.

So in Apple's case, you'll be making your iPhone nearly £1k just to be able to see who's calling, tweeted or text you without removing your phone from your pocket.

If you read most reviews for these smart watches people soon fall out of love with them, or took a punt purely because of the low cost.

Even the tech experts can't see apple having much more success, despite the hyped up NFC capabilities

I expect like dashcams Insuance companies will start to offer discounts for wearing fitness trackers but just like dashcams the data might be used against you.

In terms of the Apple watch....a fool and his money.

Smar****ches seem to be a bit of a solution looking for a problem. I suspect this current lot of Gen1 watches will fade into obscurity and in about 5yr things will start to appear that are actually useful i.e smartstraps for ordinary watches.

I didn't see anything with the Apple watch, that every other smart watch can't do. They do look nicer than most though.

I dunno, beauty is in they eye of the beholder I suppose but I think the iWatch looks like an old Casio. I think the Moto 360 is much nicer looking

atxi-800.jpg

Or the LG Watch R -

LG_G_Watch_R_review_8.JPG

I woudn't buy either though.

from twitter user @bronactitley:

"BREAKING: Apple launch Apple Watch after creating a generation of kids who don't know what watches are because they get the time from phones"

• Like 1

A watch with a battery that lasts only ~18 hours... Yeah, right.

My trusty Casio G-Shock never needs a battery change it's solar powered & it's radio controlled too. Cost £120, or I can have one of the naff railway watches which is the down market version of what I have at £0, but 0 reliability! 

Thanks but no thanks - will stick to my Casio Edifice. As TheWanderer above, it is solar powered (I was too cheap to go for the radio controlled types) so that even indoors under fluorescent tubes it gets enough power.

Really seems like a gadget for gadgets sake (not just the Iwatch but all smart-watches)

I've a G-Shock as well with a 7yr battery (Gulfman)

And 2 automatics which are POWERED BY GRAVITY! Beat that Apple.

I like Apple stuff its nice and easy to use and is easy on the eye but IMO this smart watch is a massive waste of money!  Ill stick with my Tag F1 all day at least i wont have to charge it every few hours.

I've a G-Shock as well with a 7yr battery (Gulfman)

And 2 automatics which are POWERED BY GRAVITY! Beat that Apple.