Thirsty 4x4 Superb is not Elegant

My 1.8TSI  Superb Estate 4x4 is doing 22.9mpg (measured) on the start/stop up the steep hill school run, the same journey in our previous 2.0 TDI diesel (no DPF) Volvo S40 returned 30mpg at best and the 1.8 NA petrol old style Citroen Picasso before that was around 19mpg.

On recent motorway trip was getting around 39mpg indicated, diesel volvo would be around 48mpg or 42mpg with the roofbox (not needed now), the Citroen would be around 36mpg.

I have the same car (2011) and do a similar short, steep, uphill school run.  I've had the car a few weeks and haven't really worked out the fuel economy but this sounds about right.  ie short trip (especially) fuel economy is poor.  Coupled to this, the fuel tank is smaller than our old Golf's (it's cheaper to fill, I don't think it's all down to falling petrol prices) so I seem to have to go the garage more often.  It's not great but to be honest but I knew when I bought the car its greatest trait was not going to be fuel economy.  The diesel wouldn't suit my journey patterns and anyway as you observe, on short cold trips you'll never get the stated fuel economy out of anything. Unless you are driving like a little old lady in good road and traffic conditions you are not going to get great fuel economy out of a big car (or arguably, on any car with a bit of oomph).  OP must make their own decision, it is a shame he/she is disappointed, however as DenzilDexter writes, be sure to appraise the alternatives without rose tinted glasses if you get to the stage of looking at a change.  Otherwise you risk a second disappointment.

• 3 months later...

After 3 months of using my 140 4 x 4 remapped to 180 estate, it's showing 48.5 average on the gauge , that's a lot of motorway work btw

Edited by peterposh

• 3 weeks later...

That's the same mpg I get on mine. Makes me cry inside when I see the maxidot, so I don't have it on that setting anymore. On, and the £265 road fund licence was a real kick in the dangles too. But I knew this when I bought the car, and I still love it

Whilst I agree my 4×4 Elegance is a bit thirsty I seem to get better MPH than what some have quoted here, I usually average 42 MPH out of a tank of fuel and that's with no or hardly any motorway driving, and also not the MFD talking, also today I've just towed my 1500 kg caravan 140 miles with the Superb fully loaded, half motorway, half other road and averaged 32 MPH, don't know many 4x4 that's could return those figures! I need the extra weight of the car and the security of the 4x4 system for towing and got to say it's excellent!

It's amazing how many tow car awards the Superb has won and I've only ever seen my with a caravan behind it!

I had 170 Manual 4x4 Elegance previously and got 45mpg (not MFD but real life mpg) easily with careful driving around motorway, country roads and a bit of town driving too. I felt this to be quite good considering the size/weight of SII.

If it's petrol 4 x 4  I'd get rid of it if you're thinking of doing many miles and get a diesel one, then you won't have to drive like a granny and you'll get 45 mpg :-) n, best of both worlds

Edited by peterposh

• 3 months later...