Decat

Right guys! I'm fully aware that amy comments on here will probably advice me not to do it, but I'm considering a decat. All I need to know is, where the cat is placed on the car, is it on the downpipe or is it under the car desperate? Will they be able to chop it off and replace with a pipe or will I need to buy a part to replace the down pipe?

Thanks guys

You usually find them lurking underneath the car.

soi-cat.jpgvery funny as I have 5 cats and a vrs cthe

But then sometimes they're in the engine bay area.

cat1.jpg

Be careful though as some cars have more than one cat.

Pic-of-Homeless-Cats-Two-Homeless-Kitten

Right guys! I'm fully aware that amy comments on here will probably advice me not to do it, but I'm considering a decat. All I need to know is, where the cat is placed on the car, is it on the downpipe or is it under the car desperate? Will they be able to chop it off and replace with a pipe or will I need to buy a part to replace the down pipe?

Thanks guys

Removing catalyst would require a special map to be able to take full advantage of the mod. As mentioned previously go for the high flow sports catalytic converter. Full turbo back systems have them included.

It is not a DIY job unless you have pipe bending machines (you can buy pre-made standard bends and use them of course) and are a wiz at welding.

I'm going to a performance exhaust garage near me, I want decat for the popping and banging more than anything else so I just needed to know if It will be separate from the mani or will I need to swap out the down pipe and everything. Yes Nath!

De-cat mod is not what you want to do. Remove the centre resonator for popping and banging, costs a fraction (£30-£60 at local garage) and you will have no issues with anything. 

Catalytic converter removal is a serious mod and only makes sense on very heavily modified cars with bespoke maps for track only use as emissions are through the roof. 

Check your insurer will actually cover you with a decat! My broker said due to new rules they will not cover mods that make the car unroadworthy (i.e. anything I need to change/remove to pass an MOT). It may be that they need to take that line on paper and what happens in practice is another thing entirely, but I'll not take the chance of them using it as an excuse to not pay out...

• Like 1

Check your insurer will actually cover you with a decat! My broker said due to new rules they will not cover mods that make the car unroadworthy (i.e. anything I need to change/remove to pass an MOT). It may be that they need to take that line on paper and what happens in practice is another thing entirely, but I'll not take the chance of them using it as an excuse to not pay out...

Will emissions be a bit tight on the 1.8 with a decat? How about a sports cat

Will emissions be a bit tight on the 1.8 with a decat? How about a sports cat

Where is the 'Off topic' emoticon on this forum? This thread is about a 1.4* :P

Regardless of emissions you'd still need a cat fitted to pass an MOT in a modern car.

* Yes I will be sports catting mine.

• Like 1

De-cat goes well with wide band lambda as it would allow to do much more precise maps.

Theoretically you can have a specific MOT map where car is run very lean and can pass MOT without the cat installed

Cat is there to lower the emissions 

De-cat is well worth it and you'll be able to tell the difference, not a massive one but still noticeable IMO.

If you need to change the exhaust back for the MOT once a year then it's nothing specifically major...

Hi Reece, you prolly know this but just to point out that a decat can be picked up not just on the mot, but at the dot roadside checks that are increasingly being carried out. We picked up several on the last one I was on, all boy racers types admittedly but it's worth bearing in mind as it carries a penalty at the moment (a notice of impending prosecution). You may get 14 days to correct the problem but if the cat is missing, you may face a more severe prosecution as that is a deliberate attempt to negate the law. It's dangerous for joe public too. After my assessment on the last dot roadside check the Police actually seized one of the cars without a cat.  So bear that in mind. A race cat is probably better to go for as many meet the mot standard nearly as good as the standard cat. Good luck bud!