Curbridge

Witney

Oxfordshire

OX29 7PD

01993 702609

Services: New, Used, Repair

Edited by DGW

Originally posted by aixlad - Sat Jul 23, 2005

Bought my Fabia vRS from Grey Gables. The sales guy was quite amusing, and not too pushy. Since the day I drove the car off their forecourt I've never heard a whisper from them which is quite surprising (obviously not too bothered about exercising any "customer retention" marketing techniques). Nothing wrong with the car, but they have not shown any interest in providing an after sales service, so I happily take it elsewhere. Not sure if I would buy from here again as I'm one of those old fashioned blokes that likes the supplying dealer to exclusively service the vehicle throughout my ownership.

• 9 months later...

I bought my Fabia from here as I am originally from Oxford and at the time they were the only place that had a 1.9TDi in my price range. They seem to be a family run business and although mentioned all the finance and GAP insurance, were never pushy. I'm a salesman myself and I liked their very honest, upfront nature.

I had a problem with my fuel gauge (which was correctly diagnosed on this forum) which they fixed under the free 3 month warranty my 2001 car came with. I would definitely recommend them and in fact my Golf GTi driving girlfriend is buying a VRS Furby from them at the mo. Hopefully she'll get as good customer service as I did.

So thumbs up from me!

• 1 month later...

I have absolutely unqualified praise for Grey Gables. I've never bought a car there (because we got our Octavia 1 when we lived in London) but I'd certainly be happy to. They let me drive a VRS the other day without demurring.

Any work that they've done for me has been done properly and to a perfectly reasonable price. They even did some work under VW warranty on faulty coils way after the warranty had expired. It was a bit disappointing that new front wheel bearings failed after 15000 miles but once again they replaced them pronto for free.

They lend me or the wife a courtesy car which is great but, perhaps incredibly in this day and age, they let me take my car home and send the bill subsequently (which, I hasten to add, I pay at once). Perhaps not everyone gets this courtesy...I don't know.

I note what was said about not being telephoned after buying a new car there. Surely that's great? I don't want to be rung up to find out if I'm happy or not (I think its a bit infantile to want to be). If there's a problem with the car (which given Skoda's reputation seems unusual) you'll say so at once. If you like the garage and the service you were given, you'll want to go back. QED.

I'd like to change from my company BMW 320 to another Octavia next year. GG aren't a business dealership so I couldn't do a lease arrangement with them I gather. However, I might change to a personal purchase, rather than a company lease if the economics work out.

M

• 1 month later...

MOT done on my 3 yr old Octavia 1.9 PD130 Estate - no problem other than an advisory on a tyre.

Since then have had one service by them and asked them to check vehicle over as two previous services were by non-Skoda dealerships.(My original dealership closed).

Courtesy car provided.Car returned clean and runs smoother than before service.

Excellent attitude by the staff.

Unfortunately I have to move otherwise I would certainly get my next car from here.

• 6 months later...

The Service manager is great. The problem is the owner doesn't believe in variable servicing and totally screwed up my cars computer so the light didn't come on and the car went 24000 on the same oil. Thank you Grey Gables if you stuffed my engine. The engine management software had to be reinstalled by downloaded from Skoda UK by Merritts Aylesbury for a complete reset. I cannot stand Dealers who think they know better than the factory. I will not be going back there until the management changes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had that, 1 month later when i rang to find out how my order was going i was told "we didnt think you were serious" erm, why else would i come in with my requirements and offer to put the deposit down there and then?:orb_rolli

• 2 years later...

Grey Gables are an old fashioned garage Sam (owner) lives on site. They give a great service and nothing is too much trouble. I am waiting for my 4th car from them, come on DVLA!

I am new to the forum - so an intro is due.

Chris.

• 8 months later...

Bought my last 2 Octavias from here. My latest one had 2 previous owners who have had all service work done here. I have subsequently done the same too so the dealer has known the car since new over 3 owners. Great attitude and always get my repeat business.

• 7 months later...

Bought my last 2 Octavias from here. My latest one had 2 previous owners who have had all service work done here. I have subsequently done the same too so the dealer has known the car since new over 3 owners. Great attitude and always get my repeat business.

• 3 months later...

Just bought my 2010 Roomster there. Excellent customer service. The car was missing cruise control which was in the details as being included, they retrofitted it at no charge. Also next service free as another factory option was missing but mentioned in details. Courtesy car provided while they did the work. This is my first Skoda experience, very pleased so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes, they're an authorised repairer only now -

http://www.greygablesgarage.com/

I can't see why Skoda keep dropping the smaller family owned dealers as those are often the ones better at building relationships with local customers and keeping customer satisfaction and retention high.

However, they can still order any Skoda car and are still linked into the dealer network for swapping allocations etc. I have now bought 2 Yetis and 2 Fabias from them. I won't go anywhere else.

• 11 months later...

Having followed this site for many years I have never felt the need to make a post but after the service I received from Grey gables skoda today I feel it essential to highlight what happened to my vehicle and warn others. My roomster scout 1.9 Tdi was due it's first cambelt, waterpump and aux drive belt change. As Grey Gables is now my local dealer (previously Faintree garage)  it was booked in after a competitive quote for the work. The vehicle was delivered on time and an agreed pick up was arranged, upon my arrival I was presented with a bill which was £10 over the original quote and under scrutiny the extra sum was for an engine oil top up to which I had not consented. Now this may seem trivial but as an Aircraft Technician my oil level is checked every week without fail so I queried this point and was advised that it had been required as these engines can burn heavily, I was suspicious as I know they burn when running in and at the end of life, not usually at 30k and in 1 day. I collected the keys and went to inspect the vehicle prior to my departure and what I found beggars belief. When the bonnet was lifted excess oil was all over the engine cover and the coolant level was 3 inches below the minimum level, post refill after water pump replacement.  I went to see the service manager who was polite and he agreed it was not acceptable, at this point I dipped the oil level to find it had been overfilled by 1 litre, it was not low as originally suspected. Alarm bells were ringing because In my day job as a supervising Aircraft Technician I firmly operate on the basis of " if a job looks bad then it generally is bad". They then preceded to remove the excess oil removing to much in the process and having to replenish yet again. Not acceptable. If the basics cannot be completed to the required standard then what about the complex tasks. I was given a £10 repayment for the oil and was wished goodnight after stressing my utter dismay with the service, they appeared not to care less. This service is the exact opposite of my experiences with my previous dealership, I will not return and have contacted Skoda customer service. So to summarise to anyone reading this I may indeed be the exception rather than the rule at Grey gables but please thoroughly check your vehicle after any dealings with this dealership. My wife and 6 month old child use the vehicle in question every day and knowing the 1.9tdi engine can catastrophically fail if overfilled with oil or seize should it have low coolant levels suddenly the consequences of poor and shoddy workmanship could be potentially life changing. Many Thanks.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes, matkinson that's what their website and FB show - but still focused on Skoda both for servicing and sales, with plenty of second hand stock in.

Surprised they didn't keep their Authorised Repairer status to back this up ... they've been Skoda for decades.

• 5 years later...

Anyone know what#s become of GREY GABLES GARAGE? It's Facebook hasn't been updated since May 2020 and it's website has disappeared.

Has it closed?