front passenger door wont open! help!

Hi guys just changed the door carrier on my Fabia as the window regulator broke.Now it's all back together I checked that the door functioned properly before I put the trim back on, but now that I've closed the door, neither the inside cable or outside handle will open it? Why is this need the car today ideally.

Cheers in advance

P.s I should also add the my central locking works just the door won't open

Edited by JamesT

I'm not sure why neither door handle opens, the outside and inside handles are connected via separate cables.  The internal handle should work even if the door is locked so maybe the lock mechanism itself is loose?  Must be an absolute bugger if you can't even get the door open to look at it!!

Yeah, IIRC you need to rehook the spring hook in place before replacing the lock

attachicon.gif990.jpg

Any way of doing that with the door closed if I can get the door carrier off? Edited by JamesT

if cant get open at all - from outside pop off the cover to the rear of the handle, then carefully pop out the plastic barrel (or lock barrel if there is one), then cut a length of a metal coat hanger off and curl one end round to make a hook. Now, slide said hook in through where the lock barrel was and you will be able to pull the metal lever on the door mech and pull to pop it open. I spent half a day changing my door mech when the door was unable to open from inside or out!

if cant get open at all - from outside pop off the cover to the rear of the handle, then carefully pop out the plastic barrel (or lock barrel if there is one), then cut a length of a metal coat hanger off and curl one end round to make a hook. Now, slide said hook in through where the lock barrel was and you will be able to pull the metal lever on the door mech and pull to pop it open. I spent half a day changing my door mech when the door was unable to open from inside or out!

Cheers for the reply, managed to get the bugger open somehow, not sure how though ha, could you take a look at my other post about the locking mech, think you might be of some help to me. cheers http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/347280-what-is-this/

Cheers RamJam

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 15/03/2015 at 10:46, Stuart27183 said:

Hi all. My passenger door isn't opening at all. Will this method work on the passenger door of a Skoda fabia estate?

If and when I eventually get my passenger door open. What are the most likely candidates for this not working? From other threads it sounds like it could be the wired connections running through the door billows, or maybe the microswitch in the locking mechanism. My central locking key fob hasn't worked for the driver's side door for the past 3 years but have just used the key for this door.

1) Does anyone know if there is ways to test the locking mechanism or best to replace and hope for the best?

2) Could the driver's side locking microswitch have anything to do with the passenger side not opening?

Cheers,

Joe

Have you done any work on the passenger door that's caused it to stop working or has it just failed on its own?

First thing I'd be inspecting would be the door bellows wires and connections at the multiplugs between body and door on both sides. It's pretty difficult to say what might be wrong with it. The solder joints on them can break down due to the shocks of opening and closing the door over the years. The electronics in the driver's unit can fail. The wiring in the door bellows can break. The little DC motor inside the lock can give problems. There are five microswitches that all have to work....

665677.png

Edited by TMB

I've never had to open a deadlocked door (yet) so can't really answer that question. Have seen people butcher the plastic on the lock unit in order to manually manipulate the mechanism.

Edited by TMB

20 hours ago, TMB said:

Have you done any work on the passenger door that's caused it to stop working or has it just failed on its own?

First thing I'd be inspecting would be the door bellows wires and connections at the multiplugs between body and door on both sides. It's pretty difficult to say what might be wrong with it. The solder joints on them can break down due to the shocks of opening and closing the door over the years. The electronics in the driver's unit can fail. The wiring in the door bellows can break. The little DC motor inside the lock can give problems. There are five microswitches that all have to work....

665677.png

All sounds like good advice thanks! I've not done any work on the door so not sure what has caused this issue. Thanks for the link to that thread!

• Like 1

I've just updated that thread, with a link to another one where the real problem was uncovered.

In your case, unless you've had intermittent misbehaviour, I'm not sure it will be the same cause.

My doors kept locking and unlocking, randomly, for a while and then the passenger door wouldn't open except on rare occasions. A replacement mechanism from Ebay cost £13.75* and works perfectly, no more random behaviour over the year since it was fitted.

I see the price is now £19* 

4 hours ago, totoro said:

My doors kept locking and unlocking, randomly, for a while and then the passenger door wouldn't open except on rare occasions. A replacement mechanism from Ebay cost £13.75* and works perfectly, no more random behaviour over the year since it was fitted.

I see the price is now £19* 

Was this replacing the locking mechanism on the passenger door or on the driver's side out of interest?