SCOUT MUDFLAPS

@JohnGarth Not so rare...

image.png.5f305fb2f9ee7bc6974896e8f417b5dc.png

I'm over the border and north in to Wales.

Watching with interest the discussion on mud flaps. Not convinced of the hassle yet but would appreciate them.

Peter

I contacted Skoda Customer Service re Scout mudflaps. This is what they said:

Dear Mr Williams 

Thank you for your recent contact regarding purchasing some mud flaps for your ŠKODA OCTAVIA Scout. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response. 

I have discussed your query with our Parts Support Team, they have confirmed that there are no recommended mud flaps available to be fitted to your OCTAVIA Scout. I apologise for any disappointment that this may cause. 

I have forwarded your comments to our Product Marketing Team for their consideration in the future to release mud flaps for the OCTAVIA Scout. It is only through feedback such as yours that we can ensure that we reach the highest standards to which we aspire. 

I hope you find this information useful and thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK. 

Kind regards 

Dean Goodwin
Customer Relations Advisor
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel:  0333 0037504  
[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

Photo of my Scout follows (clean for once!), and photo of rear wheelarch showing position of sensor which may get in the way of mudflaps.

This Octavia Estate is the third I've owned after a Mk 1 and Mk 2, and the first Scout. Also in the family we have a Skoda Fabia Mk 3, and have previously owned a Favorit and 2 other Fabia's. My cousin has just bought a CitiGo and previously had a Fabia estate. I think you could say that we are Skoda fans and the Scout is the second best car I've ever had. Best car is a Morris Minor 1000, obviously!

P1050656 cropped.jpg

IMG_20180417_154557263.jpg

2 hours ago, BGB said:

I have a white Scout and definitively need them!

Same...

Scout.jpg

Perverse that the one model designed for muddy lanes is the one where they are not compatible. 

I would have expected the Scout body kit to include them as standard issue.

My previous (1.9 4x4) had them and seemed to do their job though the car still gets filthy. Our 2 mile lane especially is awash with mud half the year. 

On 18/04/2018 at 09:14, JohnGarth said:

Thanks for the response which is encouraging. My race blue scout is fitted with park assist so it has a sensors all round, including in the rear wheel arch close to where the mudflap would fit. Can you measure the distance from the join of the rear wheel arch moulding and the lower cladding, to the top of your mudflap. This would check whether the mudflap will be too close to the sensor. I really want to fit rear mudflaps to cut down on the stones and mud thrown from the rear wheels onto the front of my caravan when towing.

I live in Worcester which is not too far from you. In 2 years of Scout ownership I've only ever seen another race blue scout so this appears to be a rare combination!

Can you take a picture of your wheel arch showing where you mean please?

Well jealous about your extra sensors. Mine was an Ex demonstrator, so came with default factory spec. What other bits did you get added on?

Don't know if you're interested in enabling anything extra, but I'd definitely be interested in scanning your car with VCDS so that when I get around to adding towbar and front parking sensors I've got a coding reference.

"Can you take a picture of your wheel arch showing where you mean please?"

I've already posted a couple of pictures on Weds at 17:24.

I bought my 65-reg Scout as an ex-Skoda management car, 4 months old from a dealer. Having decided on the colour/engine/gear combination I wanted, I tracked this car down through the Skoda UK Used Cars website at a hefty discount. It was fitted with a pile of extras such as the extra side sensors in the rear wheel arch linked to auto-parking, and has the standard-fit sensors front and rear. It also has satnav, lane assist, cruise and climate, spare wheel, electric heated front seats and xenon cornering headlights, probably a few more extras as well as the dealer wasn't absolutely sure of all the extras. I had a Westfalia towbar fitted (and electrics) which has a removable swan-neck towhook. I think this is the standard Skoda-supplied towbar. I have a part of the rear suspension in my garage as apparently the towbar gets in the way! Could be an anti-roll bar but I'm not absolutely sure.

I'm planning to fit all-season tyres when the original fit Michelins wear out, but at 22,000 miles they're hanging on well with 4-5 mm tread left. Must drive faster!

From the screw inside the wheel arch lining to the top of the mudflap is approx 70mm. From the trim intersection to the top of the mudflap is ~125mm.

At the very top, the mudflap just clips into the wheel arch. I don’t think it would interfere with your sensor.

45 minutes ago, wg100 said:

From the screw inside the wheel arch lining to the top of the mudflap is approx 70mm. From the trim intersection to the top of the mudflap is ~125mm.

At the very top, the mudflap just clips into the wheel arch. I don’t think it would interfere with your sensor.

I've got Skoda rear mudflaps on my "normal" Octavia estate and they don't interfere the side parking sensors.

On 21/04/2018 at 14:06, JohnGarth said:

I have a part of the rear suspension in my garage as apparently the towbar gets in the way! Could be an anti-roll bar but I'm not absolutely sure.

It's likely to be the the crash bar from behind the rear bumper - the towbar has its own which replaces it, like this one (thanks to @Phillips

17DD5B21-0628-4022-8B40-991757F90AA1.jpeg

I sincerely hope it isn't part of the rear suspension that they've given you...

Edited by pist0nbr0ke
Add pic

• 4 weeks later...

I've now fitted the standard Octavia Mk III front and rear Skoda mudflaps to my Scout - see attached pictures. They fit quite well but need minor mods as has been mentioned. New holes have to be drilled in the mudflaps for the mounting screws. The Skoda rear mudflaps are supplied with small metal clips for extra support for the inner part of the mudflap, and these clips attach to the bottom of the wheel arch liner. The front mudflaps are supplied with extra plastic studs which locate similarly in the wheel arch liner once a hole has been drilled. I have also cut off the lug at the top of the mudflap (shown) which would clip into the edge of the wheelarch on a standard Octavia to give a better fit. This still leaves a slight gap between the mudflaps and the cladding, so for a finishing touch I've used exterior-grade black sealant to fill the gap. 

DSCF5506.JPG

DSCF5509.JPG

DSCF5517.JPG

• Like 2

John, they look the part, unfortunately they do not prevent the crap up the sides of the car!!

"Octavia (5E) as of CW/ od KT/ ab KW 22/ 2017" (5E0.075.101.A) Octy III FL mudflaps do not fit - wrong shape (too angular) for Octy III FL Scout.

Will standard Octy III mudflaps fit a FL Scout, (with just the relocation of holes for the torx screws), or is it standard Octy II mudflaps which are easiest to adapt to a FL Octy III Scout?

Mods - posted this in similar thread. Can threads be merged?

14 hours ago, Rab-k said:

"Octavia (5E) as of CW/ od KT/ ab KW 22/ 2017" (5E0.075.101.A) Octy III FL mudflaps do not fit - wrong shape (too angular) for Octy III FL Scout.

Will standard Octy III mudflaps fit a FL Scout, (with just the relocation of holes for the torx screws), or is it standard Octy II mudflaps which are easiest to adapt to a FL Octy III Scout?

Mods - posted this in similar thread. Can threads be merged?

Hi Rab-k,

The photos above show the Skoda Octavia Mk III 5E mudflaps fitted to my Skoda Octavia Scout Mk III, and they will fit with holes relocated.

So far I've found that they reduce the mud thrown onto the lower black cladding behind the wheelarches, as you would expect, so I think they are worth doing. I found my genuine Skoda mudflaps on Ebay for around half the dealer price. I'm now thinking about fitting mudflaps to our Fabia III hatchback although this does far less miles.

• Thanks 1

Thanks John.

I've gone for Plan B...

Got some cheap mudflaps off eBay for £10 that claim to fit the Audi A6 Allroad.

The curvature looked a closer match to the Scout, so if they're any good I'll either fit them and live with them, or if they're cheap n nasty, (but fit), I may stretch to buying the OEM Audi parts.

Will keep you posted. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheap mudflaps binned...

Curvature was dead on but only way to fit would be to drill holes in the plastic trim. Manipulated as best I could but just wouldn't do it. Will opt for the Octy III 5E0.075.101 (As opposed to FL spec 5E0.075.101.A)   and give them a go.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all contributors...

Correct OEM mudflaps, (Not the FL variety), three new holes, basin of hot water, wheels off for ease of fitting and voila...

5b1eb0175090f_Scoutedit7.thumb.jpg.d3de4524e1570f1d6d8e490b707ac7ad.jpg5b1eb02246ea0_Scoutedit8.thumb.jpg.01bf5719f59d06c61c06671c75f52a2d.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the valuable info on this thread, I've managed to fit fore and aft OEM pre-facelift mudflaps to my Scout.

Additionally, I found that on the rear flaps, the top clip need not be cut off, but could have its bite deepened (junior-hacksaw blade and penknife) so that it still fulfills its role notwithstanding the Scout's body-kit. I removed a plastic clip-like arrangement from the middle of the upper side of the horizontal part (penknife) which allowed a closer fit of the thing to the plastic underbody.

For both front and rear, a bit of in-situ moulding after careful heating with an electric hot-air paint-stripper, followed by quenching with cold water, seemed to improve the fit to the contours of the car. Or it might be my imagination - but it seemed a clever idea at the time.

Anyhow, I'm pleased with the results - so thanks again

Edited by Sangrail
  • Like 1

Just now, Sangrail said:

Thanks to the valuable info on this thread, I've managed to fit fore and aft OEM pre-facelift mudflaps to my Scout.

Additionally, I found that on the rear flaps, the top clip need not be cut off, but could have its bite deepened (junior-hacksaw blade and penknife) so that it still fulfills its role notwithstanding the Scout's body-kit. I removed a plastic clip-like arrangement from the middle of the upper side of the horizontal part (penknife) which allowed a closer fit of the thing to the plastic underbody.

For both front and rear, a bit of in-situ moulding after careful heating with an electric hot-air paint-stripper, followed by quenching with cold water, seemed to improve the fit to the contours of the car. Or it might be my imagination - but it seemed a clever idea at the time.

Anyhow, I'm pleased with the results - so thanks again

No pictures? :sadsmile: