Weathertec Ombrello Hydrophobic glass treatment

mannyo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update - The alternative supplier I contacted seemed to just be an "inbetween"er between weathertec and the customer, so essentially they're a no-go as well. I'm eager to know more / sample this stuff from the states though. :cool:

Ok everyone - I've been working in Sweden this week, but the stuff was waiting for me at the post office when I got back.

It arrived well packaged, and looks OK, although I haven't tried it out yet.

I bought 12 packs, so to keep things simple, I'll say 2 each for....

Devonutopia

Wardy

Octygone

Pythix

bryand

and myself.

Trust thats OK with everyone.

After currency conversion, it worked out at

But I want some :(

Gutted!

If it works OK I'll speak to Col D about sorting another batch out.

Meanwhile, you are first reserve.

Or if you have too much money, I've found a UK stockist at

Ok everyone - I've been working in Sweden this week, but the stuff was waiting for me at the post office when I got back.

It arrived well packaged, and looks OK, although I haven't tried it out yet.

I bought 12 packs, so to keep things simple, I'll say 2 each for....

Devonutopia

Wardy

Octygone

Pythix

bryand

and myself.

Trust thats OK with everyone.

After currency conversion, it worked out at

Rob, Jason and Bryan - I've got your addresses.

Steve - can you PM me your address.

Pythix - your PM box is full.

I'll PM you all with payment details once its sent out and I have a final price.

Cheers,

Andy

Got my two packs this morning - cheers Andy.

One thing I noticed was that although it looks the same as Ombrello, the amount one pack will cover is just "1 windshield" or "2 side windows" - so maybe it contains a little less. Unless US windshields are massive? :rofl:

I'll try and make one do my screen and side front windows, and even if I use the 2nd one as well, no harm done. :D Two were still cheaper than 1 ombrello. :thumbup:

Well, the weather is glorious in Devon this morning, so I thought I'd nip out and get this stuff on my glass. First off, I started with a really HOT soapy wash with a sponge, then rubbed down and dried off excess with a paper towel.

Once dry, snapped one of the aquapels open and started on the front screen - It managed to do one side window too, which is a little less than ombrello did, but then this stuff was 1/4 the price per pack. ;) Once it had all been evenly layered on the glass, I used a kitchen towel to gently wipe it in, and spread it even better (instructions said use a paper towel, so this was as close as I could get)

As I had a second pack, I started that one on the untreated side window, and did the windscreen again. :D So, now I have a double coat on the screen, and both side windows done, for £8. Thats half the price of one ombrello pack.

Looking forward to some rain now.... Odd that. :rofl:

Oh, this aquapel WORKS! I went through possibly one of worst short sharp showers yesterday on my way to Bournemouth on the A35. Down to 50mph for safety's sake, but never had to wipe once. :cool: Retains perfect vison, compared to the smearing that wipers often leave for half a second or so every wipe.

• 1 year later...

I have used Ombrello since it first came out and it performs better and lasts longer than anything else. Lately I have had a problem locating a supply as I used to buy direct from Weathertec but cannot find their address. Any info on locationg supply would be useful.

Thanks.

Unfortunately Weathertec have gone out of business now (which is probably no surprise as they weren't a great company to deal with!). The Aquapel seems to be the only current alternative but I've heard a few people say it doesn't last as long as the Ombrello so requires more frequent treatments.

Chris

I have used Ombrello since it first came out and it performs better and lasts longer than anything else. Lately I have had a problem locating a supply as I used to buy direct from Weathertec but cannot find their address. Any info on locationg supply would be useful.

Thanks.

As you will have read above, I did the first group buy / import of Aquapel from the USA about a year ago.

Devonutopia has done another couple since - buying 48 or more from the USA and selling them on.

Its probably worth dropping him a PM to see if he has any stocks left, or if he is planning on ordering another batch any time soon.

I have never used Ombrello itself, so can't compare with the Aquapel, but the Aquapel appears to be from the same supplier and in the same applicator. The Aquapel certainly works well and lasts a lot longer than Rain-X which I have used in the past.

I've used both Ombrello and Aquapel. It's a very similar product.

IMO, durability is on a par between the two products. I'd recommend the Aquapel, especially at Group-Buy prices (if Jason still has some). I prefer it to Rain-X, especially financially!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I dropped in at Halfords on the way home last night and bought some 'Mer Rainaway'. Having already applied Aquapel from a groupbuy, it will be interesting to see how this stuff compares. It was