Hive heating system, or....?

gadgetman

Does Hive, or any of the others (nest, Tado etc) have weather compensation or modulating controls?

At the moment ive got a Vaillant combi with their own VRC470 weather-compensating controller.

Theres a sensor on the outside of the house, and another on the 'stat.

It modulates based on the heat-curve value set by me, and the difference between indoor/outdoor temp.. So the boiler runs at a lower output, for longer which in theory keeps it in condensing mode.

I am happy with the system, and my gas/elec was about £800 last year (3bed semi) but i dont really have any comparisons as i went straight from an old system to this one.

Does Hive, or any of the others (nest, Tado etc) have weather compensation or modulating controls?

At the moment ive got a Vaillant combi with their own VRC470 weather-compensating controller.

Theres a sensor on the outside of the house, and another on the 'stat.

It modulates based on the heat-curve value set by me, and the difference between indoor/outdoor temp.. So the boiler runs at a lower output, for longer which in theory keeps it in condensing mode.

I am happy with the system, and my gas/elec was about £800 last year (3bed semi) but i dont really have any comparisons as i went straight from an old system to this one.

I don't think they do they just replace the existing room stat with a wifi internet device so you can tell it to be on & temp when on way back home.

My Siemens system has six digital temp sensors (not stats), one inside, one outside, one on flow from boiler, one on return into boiler, one on flow to rads, one inside HWT. What gets me is that my system is based on my previous 22yr old Landis & Gyr system which is common over in Germany, but because over here we have been stupid with the building regs we have just stuck with a basic one stat & timer system for decades!

I have saved £££££ over the past 22yrs with my systems & they are still way ahead. I remember when I had the original one installed we had to get an industrial electric engineer to do it who ballsed it up, so ended up getting the manufactures up which cost £££ due to travel distance! I installed the last one 5yrs ago myself (gas side done by Corgi bloke) & it works & even then the local WB bloke thought my install was like Star Trek bridge!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Honeywell Evohome fitted to 7 radiators at the moment and I used 12,500kWh of gas which is about average for UK. Where I live in Scotland (central belt) it gets very gusty during winter because I live on a hill so considering I have learn how to use the thing properly and set the temps and times for each room I don't think that's a bad effort. Where it comes in handy is being able to keep a minimum temp of 15-16c when I'm away from home and then being able to turn up the temp just before driving from work to home to get a nice toasty warm house when I'm back. I don't know if it would have saved my energy as I brought the house last year and have had to learn where it loses heat etc but I certainly makes it more comfortable so that alone was worth it to me. Any questions on Honeywell feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to help.

Another vote for Hive.

Just so easy to set water and heating. And I like the graphs on actual temperature

Mine cost £129 fitted from EBay. Just phoned up and BG turned up on time. Fitted and working in 20 minutes

What works for you will depend on your lifestyle.  If you work a regular pattern that does not change then Hive, Nest or the Honeywell system will work well for you.  Although it is reasonably easy to change the settings via internet/smartphone etc if you have a working pattern that has no pattern then you will soon get tired of changing the settings and you will end up not bothering and running it like a normal thermostat/time switch setup.

I am on of those who falls into the latter category.  I have no set days off or working times.  I get a roster each week that shows me the next five weeks ahead.  For this reason I fitted a Tado 18 months ago.  The system uses geofencing to control the heating and ho****er so the house is warm when I am there and not when I am away.  It also takes account of the weather to anticipate demand and regardless of settings it alway has a frost protection mode.  I have saved around 24% in our gas usage versus what we used before it was fitted.  I very rarely look at the app or adjust the settings (maybe once every couple of months) and only then to check if my wife is home before phoning! 

Before going with the Tado I looked at Hive, Nest, Honeywell (way too expensive!) and a myriad of other internet enabled 'stats but they all required you to control them in some way.  With Tado all I have to do is take my phone with me when I leave the house.  Nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at these for a while. I would be very interested.

Is it a code or do I need to book through you?

doh...  ive only just seen this :(

if you would have replied to my message I would have just given you my payroll Id and you could have had it.  Think its finished now but I will check tomorrow :(

doh...  ive only just seen this :(

if you would have replied to my message I would have just given you my payroll Id and you could have had it.  Think its finished now but I will check tomorrow :(

Just checked and the offer on hive 2.0 is extended until tomorrow - if anyone wants it its 99 quid and you call bg and quote my employee id - i can only get one but if you pm me I will send over my id. ;)

Just checked and the offer on hive 2.0 is extended until tomorrow - if anyone wants it its 99 quid and you call bg and quote my employee id - i can only get one but if you pm me I will send over my id. ;)

Would they be happy about it if they read this? Lol.

its a friends and family deal, one per employee and I consider you all my friends :)

Fair shout (:

I just happen to know what theyre like. My old man served 35 years in BG.

But on the bonus. I quite like em. BG will quite £4k and ill turn up as a self employed Gas Safe engineer n do it for less than half and still make a nice amount (and do a much better job). Customers ecstatic with the value too. So i like it. Haha.

Edited by fabiamk2SE