BEST REMAP COMPANYS!

Can name two I know of straight off from my Cosworth days, Motorsport Developments and MAD Performance.

So if your the expert you make out name the reasons mapping on a dyno is better/more accurate?

You won't be able to, because its not, its just easier and safer, not better.

Maybe 20 years ago , but mark shead (mad) uses a dyno and has done for quite a while 4 years at least.

And Motorsport developments have an in house dyno so you clearly know both companies well !

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk

You can't safely road map a 600 hp Evo you just can't , you can't load the motor up at road legal speeds, it irresponsible

You can however alter the load on a dyno , you cant do that on an airfield

Dyno's do a lot more than just just record horsepower

Edited by Richf

Some of the fastest and most powerful cars in Europe are all mapped on the road or private roads

Of course they are petal lots of roads round here where you can hit 60 in one second safely and you get a lot of data from a 2500hp car at 70 mph

So how do you monitor knock detection, AFR, intake manifold pressure, exhaust manifold pressure, exhaust gas temperature, fuelling duration/duty cycle, ignition timing through rollers that the wheels spin?

Maybe 20 years ago , but mark (mad) uses a dyno and has done for quite a while 4 years at least.

And Motorsport developments have an in house dyno so you clearly know both companies well !

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk

You can't safely road map a 600 hp Evo you just can't , you can't load the motor up at road legal speeds, it irresponsible

You can however alter the load on a dyno , you cant do that on an airfield

Yeah they do both have dynos, for chavs like you to get power figures.

Ask Stu or Mark for there verdict on mapping live on tarmac driving the car against mapping on rollers.

But you probably could teach both of those two a thing or two about mapping I dare say?

So how do you monitor knock detection, AFR, intake manifold pressure, exhaust manifold pressure, exhaust gas temperature, fuelling duration/duty cycle, ignition timing through rollers that the wheels spin?

With a laptop ? Is that a trick question?

• Like 1

Yeah they do both have dynos, for chavs like you to get power figures.

But you probably could teach both of those two a thing or two about mapping I dare say?

No need to insult just because you are demonstrating you ignorance , no tuner that has a dyno would map on the road , that alone speaks volumes , that's not saying that checking on the road has no value , it does . These tuners you used as an example both use them and it's who thinks they know better not me , I'm no mapper but I have remapped cars but you know best.

If you think all a dyno can offer is is a power figure you are ignorant of what a dyno actually can do. Not all dyno's are equal , some are just rolling roads and many places slate them because they can't afford the 6 figure investment a decent one can cost

As for being a chav who is interested in dyno figures , explain why you use "virtual dyno" again .

Oh and fwiw Mark Shead doesn't have a dyno he uses a DD one at a nearby unit "motorworx" but of course you know all about that

Edited by Richf

Ok your the uk's top mapper, I didn't realise sorry. 

A dyno can be used to map yeah, but it will still never replicate true on the road conditions, end of.

My last reply to this, as your boring me now with your knobby know all attitude :)

With a laptop ? Is that a trick question?

lol

Right a chassis dyno calculates power at the wheels from the drum(s). That is all, it does nothing else. It cannot tell you how many degrees of duration your injectors are open for.

Some do allow you to connect to the obd and log the basic generic data which is pretty pants to be honest and is useless when mapping a diesel. Most allow you to connect a wide band lambda sensor (essential when mapping petrols and also helpful when mapping diesels). You normally can measure boost if you have a boost nipple on your car.

To log all the important stuff requires data logging equipment and specific vehicle diagnostics tools.

So no a dyno can't really give you anything but a power figure, but it is a bloody useful tool that makes things easier and safer.

Has every one forgotten that this is a skoda forum, not a supercar forum. Haha. Bit boring arguing over what's the best way to map a skoda

I heard removing the fuse for the rear heated window also improves bhp, but then you get cold hands when you have to push it ;)

Hmm, interesting discussion if not a little bit heated

*dons his testosterone fumes filtering breathing apparatus*

Right, everybody is a "master tuner" in their own right and does the "tuning" the best way they know, each to their own.

What I find hilarious is first of all that almost no UK "tuning" company offers an engine warranty with their tune, that tells me all I need to know about their tuning skills. In Germany for example there is no respectable tuning house which does NOT offer a min 12mths and more usually 24mnths warranty with their tuning.

Secondly I am yet to hear about the likes of Revo or AMD offering a full mechanical engine diagnostics services as a part of and before any tuning can take place.

It is simply insane to fiddle with the ECU maps before making sure mechanical side of the engine is in the top end of the factory spec condition.

All new consumables, blow down test and full logging of the stock car with wide band lambda and per pot EGT logging before any changes can be applied.

I do understand why they do not do it, otherwise they would have close to zero sales. Much better business to bully customer into signing a waiver, writing a generic map off the bat and then hoping for the best.

Mapping of an engine takes place on a dyno, not on the road. Only on a dyno a real tuner can get the ECU to go through all the cells on all the maps.

Road driving logs are simply taken to make sure the map has no problems during normal, day to day driving. It is like proof reading, making sure all is usable for normal road driving. Not possible to get the engine to go through all the cells of a particular map while driving on a public road. On a race track yes, no problem. On an air field, not really.

I am sure the Merc engs at Brixworth would take a leaf from a tuner's book which says that only live timing on the road is of any use. Their accountants would be very cheesed off having spent millions on state of the art dyno cells lol. True, there is no substitute to getting an engine ready but to test it in a real life conditions but without getting the mapping done on a dyno first there is nothing to take to the track :D.

Road cars tuning is a different ball game of course. Live road logging and adaptation (where possible) is an extremely valuable tool when one has a problem with a tune which is hard to pin point, intermittent and was not possible to replicate on a dyno. Still, what a massive waste of time for an eng to sit in passenger seat with logging laptop waiting for an event to happen. Far easier to simply run permanent logging with time stamp button marking when a problem occurred. This can be then far more effectively and far cheaper analyzed in house, diagnosed and sorted.

I suppose it is much more Fast & Furious to be sitting in the passenger seat with a laptop adding oomph on the go ;).

Bottom line is that both dyno and road logging/live tuning have their uses. They are simply tools which need to be wielded skilfully at the right time and in the right place.

I suppose it is much more Fast&Furious to sit in the passanger seat with a laptop adding "oomph" on the go ;)

^^

Looks like those two above don't give a crap about forum rules and mod's requests and still coming in with pointless trolling...

Can nobody do anything about it??

Let's stick to the original question and cut out the personal abuse.

My comment was neither abusive nor trolling, merely pointing out that for peace of mind for a long warranty on a remap we would be better off abroad

Warranty or not, a mapper over here won't last 5 minutes if word gets round that his maps are blowing engines up

No doubt you'll have heard the saying about taking a horse to water but not being able to make it drink or the one about giving people enough rope?

I'd hope that people are intelligent enough to read between the lines as the time is fast approaching when time may be allocated to allow them to ponder their positions.