Is Train Simulator 2015 Worth the money?

It often appears in the Steam sales for 75-80% off so you can pick it up for around a fiver - much less of a gamble if you want to try it.

It often appears in the Steam sales for 75-80% off so you can pick it up for around a fiver - much less of a gamble if you want to try it.

That would be my recommendation as well particularly as when the main game is on sale a lot of the DLC is so you've got a favourite locomotive or route there's a good chance you can get it for a reasonable price as well.

Having said that I haven't played it for a while and I see on Steam the current version of the game is getting quite  hammering.

John

Thank you for all the feedback, Probably won't be getting it, Just had a look, Probably just stick to getting a Skoda Fabia 1.2 2006 - It needs lots of work.

Thank you!

Have you posted on the right topic? :D

Just in case you're not aware, with Steam if you add the game to your wishlist and it's reduced in a Steam sale you'll get an e-mail alerting you to the discount - handy if there's a game you fancy but don't want to pay full price for.  Of course it doesn't cover sales from other sources but easy enough to do at least.

John

• Like 2

In general terms, Open Rails is a better bet.

1.  It's free.

2.  It builds on MSTS so there is a huge amount of content available (payware and freeware).

3.  The physics which lies behind it is much more accurate.

4.  There are some really cracking Skoda models available for MSTS/Open Rails from 'skura.msts,cz' (if you like the idea of Eastern European trains).

I've just been bought it for a birthday present, so not cost me anything, however, my on-board graphics couldn't cope very well, so I've had to buy a graphics card.  It has improved it no end, and using an Xbox 360 controller, I'm really enjoying it, although never having had a train sim before, I have nothing to compare it with.  I'm happy to stick with it for the time being.  Even managed to get a gold medal on career for doing Welwyn Garden City to Kings Cross (962 points).

• Like 1

A bargain here if you are interested

Hi Peeps,

I just wondered whether anyone knew whether Train Simulator 2015 is worth the money?

I know you have to pay for add-ons and it all gets a little bit pricey after that, But is it worth it?

Thanks,

KangarooReviews2014

A bargain here if you are interested http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/trainz-mega-bundle/

• Like 1

That would be my recommendation as well particularly as when the main game is on sale a lot of the DLC is so you've got a favourite locomotive or route there's a good chance you can get it for a reasonable price as well.

Having said that I haven't played it for a while and I see on Steam the current version of the game is getting quite  hammering.

John

John, I notice you have mentioned "DLC", being a newbie to this game, I'm in total ignorance of what that is.  Could you enlighten me please?

Cheers, Trev.

Had what I thought was an amusing glitch yesterday.  Was doing "the Staff train", which is an early morning passenger service from Peterbourough to K/C stopping most stations.  Got to Arlesey, opened the doors and waited for them to close again.  However they didn't!  Went onto the front external camera, and the platform was inundated with passengers, there must have been hundreds of them, all milling around, missing the doors and walking though the side of the train and out again.  I waited about 5 minutes before I got bored, but by that time, the platform was absolutely chocca.  Ended up having to move the train with the doors open to fail the task and get out of it.  I'm going to have another go at it later to see if it does it again. Made me smile.

Had what I thought was an amusing glitch yesterday.  Was doing "the Staff train", which is an early morning passenger service from Peterbourough to K/C stopping most stations.  Got to Arlesey, opened the doors and waited for them to close again.  However they didn't!  Went onto the front external camera, and the platform was inundated with passengers, there must have been hundreds of them, all milling around, missing the doors and walking though the side of the train and out again.  I waited about 5 minutes before I got bored, but by that time, the platform was absolutely chocca.  Ended up having to move the train with the doors open to fail the task and get out of it.  I'm going to have another go at it later to see if it does it again. Made me smile.

I hope you didn't injure too many passengers.

Ha ha, not too many, but it has just happened again. It is a bug apparently, I'll have to have a hunt for a patch.  Funny the first time, not so much now.

Edited by Trev2

John, I notice you have mentioned "DLC", being a newbie to this game, I'm in total ignorance of what that is.  Could you enlighten me please?

Cheers, Trev.

As mentioned above, DLC stands for Downloadable Content (Or for the more cynical, Disc Locked Content when companies sell content that's already there) and it's similar to the idea of old expansion packs but DLC packages can be much smaller.  With the Rail Simulator games most of the content is DLC, there's a huge amount of different engines and tracks you can add on so you're left to choose what you'd fancy to play with.  It tends to be pricey but in Steam sales often the base package and some of the DLC can be heavily discounted which is worth keeping an eye on.

John

• Like 1