Discreet Dash Cam Install

My camera arrived today, memory card came yesterday. Just awaiting the slow arrival of the piggy-back fuses them I'm good to go.

IF you get stuck, Im local so could lend a hand :)

• Like 1

IF you get stuck, Im local so could lend a hand :)

That sounds fantastic, noticed you were local but did not want to be a little cheeky. I'm new to the whole world of forums and owners clubs etc. Appreciate your offer :thumbup:  :beer:

No worries fella

Some people find this kind of thing easy to do...

I had to work a little harder than them haha

Like I said, holla if you need help/advice

Cheers

Damo

• Like 1

No worries fella

Some people find this kind of thing easy to do...

I had to work a little harder than them haha

Like I said, holla if you need help/advice

Cheers

Damo

Hi Damo,

Sorry to bother you - but something is frustrating me. Attempted to install the camera today, and everything went perfect until I came to turn it on.... For some reason the camera is not automatically turning on when I turn the car on. I have to press the button on the end, and then after I've turned the car off, it will not turn off again. The only way to turn the camera off is to physically remove the fuse cable and then it will switch off (not ideal).

Any ideas why it could be doing this? I have followed the diagrams and photo's on this post.

The only difference I noticed was my perm live slot already had a 20amp fuse in the slot, unlike other installs. But I do not see this should make a difference.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

James

I copied the photo you posted of your fuse box. Switch Live is the first slot from the left, and Perm Live is the 5th slot from the right.?.

Top left is the first slot from the left, top right is the sixth from the left.

I can look properly tomorrow though. 

If still no joy, try using the switched live piggyback on the bottom row instead (the fuse for the rear wiper) 2nd row up and 2nd from the right.

I already had a piggy back using that from my head unit though, hence me using the higher slot.

• Like 1

Top left is the first slot from the left, top right is the sixth from the left.

I can look properly tomorrow though. 

If still no joy, try using the switched live piggyback on the bottom row instead (the fuse for the rear wiper) 2nd row up and 2nd from the right.

I already had a piggy back using that from my head unit though, hence me using the higher slot.

Hi Damo,

Sorry I did not respond last night, decided bed was the best idea of the night.

So I have just gone out to the car now, and first thing I did was remove the wiper fuse and piggy back from that slot.... Worked first time!! Camera came straight on and went of 3-5 seconds after ignition. Perfect!!

Appreciate your help Damo.

• Like 1

Well sadly I used the dash cam in anger last night. I was side swiped by a van which changed lanes into the side of me. He is claiming I swerved into his lane but the camera footage is conclusive and crystal clear showing me not moving out of my lane at all. Let's hope the insurers accept it.

It may have been the best £16 I have ever spent!

Sorry to hear this. Let us know how you get on.

Once again I would like to thank the members who helped with advice on how to wire the camera. Basic job done been on the road for a few days  put the memory card into my computer and HEY PRESTO nice clear picture of the road ahead. So what do I do with the Yellow jack plug ( no rude comments please) to set the time and date from outside of the car.

Once again I would like to thank the members who helped with advice on how to wire the camera. Basic job done been on the road for a few days  put the memory card into my computer and HEY PRESTO nice clear picture of the road ahead. So what do I do with the Yellow jack plug ( no rude comments please) to set the time and date from outside of the car.

If you look at post 108 i used one of these,i wired a male cig socket onto its wiring so when i plug the yellow connector from the camera into the screen & plug it into the cars cig lighter then i can access the camera's menu.My car only has a normal stereo not a head unit that i could plug the yellow connector into & use that instead. 

• 5 months later...

Just installed my camera today with all the bits and bobs.  Took some working out but got there in the end and impressed with it so far.  Just got to do a test run and check the footage!

Thinking of putting in a rear one - anyone done this?  If so how did you wire it up?  Don't really want to run cables all the way from the fuse box but with the piggy back connectors it is very easy so might be tempted to extend the wiring and do it!

I fitted a rear one to my car,i found a earth & ignition live on the wiper motor wiring,on my car i couldnt find a permanent live in the tailgate wiring so i found one in the wiring to the cd multiplayer so i ran a wire from that through the body to the wiper motor area & connected my camera that way. The only tricky bit was getting the wire through the existing loom cover that runs from the body to the tailgate. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Holy Thread Revival Batman.......

Sorry guys... !!

Only just got this cam in my car (yes, I know....)

I got the £20 thing off the internet which was discussed in this thread. Couple of questions if any of you are still around to answer them?

1. How do you make it start to record without having to press a button (I wanted one that would just start up as soon as the ignition came on)

2. How come no file has actually saved to the SD card? I have a 32GB Samsung card. Does it need formatting a certain way? It created a DCIM folder, so it knows the card is there. However it hasn't recorded anything.... or do I need to press more than one button? :\ 

:)

What class is your sd card? i found it needed to be a class 4 or 6 to work,my camera started to power up & record as soon as the ignition was on & the car started,have you wired up the ignition feed,permanent live & earth correctly? I no longer have the camera fitted or the same car now...  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ordered a low class of card but unfortunately I can't find that exact card as it was so long ago and no longer have the packaging lol. So I've no idea. 

I did get it to record on an old crappy card but then when I did the same thing again it gave an error..... so I just don't know....