Bit to close for comfort.

Decided yesterday i would give the car a well deserved wash.

BUT

ended up like this

IMG_4072_zpspmlp6z1y.jpg

Because of this.

IMG_4075_zpsihuvb0lt.jpg

Had to get the tyre changed ASAP as needed the car that evening. Both the front tyres were like this on the insides. £150 later and car is back and feels a lot better for it.

I thought long and hard about replying, but decided on discretion.

Since another post I would say that damage looks more like the tyres are rubbing on some fixed part of the car, with that amount of toe out the car would be very directionally unstable and certainly noticeable before this damage.

Edited by tonyfvrs

the garage said that the alignment had been done when i took it in just after lowering it but obviously not. I am going to call them on tuesday to ask if it was actually done. 

Alignment is all set now and happy days. 

garage said that the tracking alignment was out by quite a way and to monitor it over the next couple of weeks. When i took it for the original tracking, i did ask them to check over the suspension and check it was all ok before they did the alignment. Happy now it has been sorted but just out of luck i was taking the wheels off

WOW , how on earth did you not feel that ?

Tbh i dont really drive it much as i have the peugeot, My other half said that the car didnt seem to stay straight and she was always correcting it but only told me once i found the problem. She isnt really much of a car person and all cars feel the same to her.

Is that tyre hitting on something on full lock?  I'd be tempted to try and see what the tyre position is on each lock. :)

It's too much on the shoulder to be from poor alignment.  It's not even an area that looks to be touching the tarmac when in use. :)

Sorry confused.

Is the Alignment now corrected?

Where you running the correct tyre pressures?

Sorry yes the alignment is all sorted now. The tyres were all at their recommended pressures. when i put on the spare, the tyre monitor did ping up on the dash as the pressures were different so i know that was working too.

Is that tyre hitting on something on full lock?  I'd be tempted to try and see what the tyre position is on each lock. :)

It's too much on the shoulder to be from poor alignment.  It's not even an area that looks to be touching the tarmac when in use. :)

I cant see anything in the arch when on full lock as that was my first thought. Garage were happy with the fitment and the garage yesterday were too.

Ah that makes sense. Also when I was cleaning my wheels, it had an logo stamped into the tim of ATS. Is that the same manufacturer who makes the ATS cups?

To those of this forum who seem to be so keen on lowering their cars - note that having the tracking done after lowering  (whilst a good move) is NOT sufficient to ensure correct alignment.

We always recommended to clients that they return after 2 weeks for a further check, once the suspension had 'settled'. Then again after a further 2 weeks.

You would be amazed at the results that we would find.

Without being a smartass - I cannot understand how one could drive a car with tyres such as these without being aware of directional and handling problems - note the bulge in the centre of the picture.

As Tonyfvrs commented - it looks as though the outer shoulder has been ripped by physical contact. I would be looking very closely for any witness marks for this possibility.

I think this is a good reminder to all, to go out and look at your tyres NOW - you could be in for a surprise!!!

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 1

Tracking shouldn't alter with lowering , alignment might and both these terms are not the same as a "geometry" check which is essential if any alterations is done to the suspension IMO

Thanks for all the feedback. Not sure as too wat they would catch on as there was no sign of rubbing on the drop links or any where in the arch. I thought a 40mm drop on standard droplinks etc are ok

I took a picture of the arch earlier when i was cleaning the wheels and noticed a rub on the wheel arch lining. Seems to be a small hole and a rub where the wheel has been. Would this have caused this issue. Any other items i need to look at if i get wheel off again tomorrow.

IMG_4077_zps3ff4waek.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. Not sure as too wat they would catch on as there was no sign of rubbing on the drop links or any where in the arch. I thought a 40mm drop on standard droplinks etc are ok

I took a picture of the arch earlier when i was cleaning the wheels and noticed a rub on the wheel arch lining. Seems to be a small hole and a rub where the wheel has been. Would this have caused this issue. Any other items i need to look at if i get wheel off again tomorrow.

IMG_4077_zps3ff4waek.jpg

But that looks like its only on full lock?

Youd have to do a lot of full lock to get through the tyre like that, and it hasnt made a big enough mess of the plastic IMO.

That's wat I thought. I wud have expected a bigger wear. I have had tyre on full lock and doesn't catch so going to keep an eye on it

That can't be it. I had wheels that touched the arch at full lock on my previous car, and they wore through the plastic and into the aluminum without any sign of wear on the tyres.

That can't be it. I had wheels that touched the arch at full lock on my previous car, and they wore through the plastic and into the aluminum without any sign of wear on the tyres.

Come to think of it, I've known mates cars to do exactly that too.

You must try having a full passenger load, THEN try a full turn of the lock - this together with the vertical dynamics of reduced/variable clearance during road going mode behaviour may provide some futher clues.

Does this car normally carry passengers, or, just a single driver most of the time?

I am also very surprised that the OP has not mentioned that audible clues were not heard at some stage.

Edited by 2ndskoda