98.3mph... How many points?

SkodaLover

Post your details on 5-o under motoriong law discusions. Five o has a lot of serving Police Officers & JP's posting so might be worth registering & posting your case for some advice. They WONT advise how to get off, Guilty is Guilty but they might help with damage limitation & give a more professional idea of the penalty

http://www.5ive-o.org/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got caught speeding at 98.3 mph back in July. :thumbdwn: My court case is just around the corner' date=' how many points/how big a fine should I expect?

The Situation:

Fine July day, light traffic, down hill recording, 70mph dual carridgeway...I already have 3 points for speeding, 2 1/2 years ago...

My Mitigation Letter:

** July 2005, although I was aware that I was speeding, I was genuinely unaware and surprised at how fast I was shown to be travelling when stopped. It was a fine clear July day with light traffic. My speed was recorded on, or shortly after, a downhill straight with little landscape either side to add to a real sense of speed. The speed at which I was recorded was certainly a maximum and did not reflect my average speed of my journey.

The car itself has a six speed gearbox and being a diesel it is very low revving, it is not a car that gives one a sense of speed or danger. Being new to a diesel car, I have noticed that engine braking is minimal on downhill stretches, and speed does creep upwards.

I can now honestly say I have evaluated all the factors that on that day contributed to my additional speed and have changed my style of driving - to be much more attentive to my speed - to concentrate not only on what is through the windscreen - other motorists and road conditions, but make much more frequent checks on the speedometer. I am aware there are no excuses for speeding, and I have done all I can since, to ensure there has been no repeat of that lapse of concentration.

Other Information

Weekdays, I lodge with my grandparents in Essex and work in Essex. At weekends I travel back home to Norwich to see my friends and relatives. During the working week I travel 25 miles (each way) between two fairly remote villages not serviced by a rail station, to start work at 8am. Public transport does not link these places. In reality, a costly cab journey, or multiple indirect bus journeys ending in a mile walk on an unpaved and unlit derestricted road are the only options.

I cover high mileage commuting to and from work during the week as well as making the additional trip from Essex to Norfolk at weekends. Losing my license would not only trouble relationships with friends and family but put my new career under threat. In addition to the obvious embarrassment, there already has been a high financial impact to myself from my current insurance company despite never having had a claim.[/quote']

admirable tho' your letter is you might wanna try sticking your hands up and saying your sorry. magistrates hear many excuses many times a day and yours is very much same old. mentioning the six speed low rev thing just proves that you were'nt paying attention to your speedo. sorry to be harsh but i was in court recently for totting up points and it aint no picnic. wear a suit, be polite and respectful and be prepared to take the consequences.

any magistrate worth his money can see your not an habitual offender (unlike me!) so just say your sorry, tell them it was a terrible error of judgement and you will endeavour to not let it happen again. you may be surprised by the verdict!

in my case i had racked up thirteen points in three years (3pts may '02, 3pts june '02, 4 pts feb '03, 3 pts apr'05) so was looking at a potential 6mnth ban.

fortunately between apr'05 and the court date (sept 29 '05) six of my points became inactive. the magistrate took into account that fact and even suggested herself that i had tried to make an effort to slow down! my boss came along with me and made a nice speech about him having to make me redundant if i was disqualified ( ;) ) and i walked away with three points and 250 pound fine! not bad seeing as i was expecting at least a three week ban!

good luck

mark

Lucky chap...

Now if you'd be so kind as to tell me what lotto numbers I need?

9 8 3 35 5

Don't need a 6th' date=' five will do...[/quote']

5 numbers on the lottery would of got you £1,791

5 numbers on the '49s' would get you a garanteed £125,000

If wanted to win 5 numbers, I know where my pound would be ;)