Downsizing....anyone considered it?

What other good value "quick" cars are there 120g or below.

By my reckoning the Golf GTD and 120d M Sport are about as frisky as cars get below that figure....though have to say I wouldnt be overly bothered about having a diesel next time.

Im thinking perhaps about getting a Citigo Elegance on PCP v cheaply, maybe registering that as my company wheels and getting something a bit tastier on a lease maybe?

The 1.4TSI Octavia manual 120, the DSG 116.

Thinks its 121 co2 for the 1.4 manual

The new hatch 1.4 150ps EU6 manual is 120 CO2 and with 17/ 18" 118 with 16", in DSG with 17/18" 115 and 112 with 16". The estate is 121 with 17/18" and 119 with 16" wheels ,DSG is 117/114.

Interesting as a lot of company cars will be SE spec with 16" wheels.

The 1.4 is as quick as Pipsyp 150TDI.

Then again I am not the best thermometer for a car as my next car could be a Dacia - if I get nothing for the car over three years it would cost no more than the Octavia.

As much as I like my Octavia it is a bit dull and I doubt muchly Id be buying another (vRS perhaps but not with how they are depreciating currently).

The 1.4 TSi is probably a little more fun than the 150 TDi but the performance difference is pretty academic....with the torque deficit and fairly busy gearing I dont think it would be quite so good a motorway car as the 150 TDI though absolutely conceed it does have a bit more personality.

Id still rather a 184 TDi vRS to any other regular 1.4 TSi model though.

What you need, what many of us want, is SUK to bring a few more VAG petrol engines to the UK, in either or both the octy and fabia.  The 1.4 ACT....Or the 1.8 TSI.   The later would make for a nuts fabby vrs I feel.

Problem is whether you downsize or not every car is a compremise somewhere along the line unless of course you buy each car for each occasion or use.

So you need a load lugger for the family

A company car for work

A high powered kitcar for FUN

Simples but, not cheap !

I have recently driven a Leon with the 1.4 TSI ACT (150ps) engine and it was a brilliant drive.

It has the same torque figure as the 1.8 TSI (250Nm), I think the 1.8 is de-tuned though for the optional 7 speed DSG.

The 1.4 ACT in the Leon does 0-62mph in 8 secs and if you believe the figures 60.1mpg on the combined cycle.

It's a shame this engine isn't available in a Skoda, but it's available in an Audi, Seat and VW.

After driving the Leon, I am seriously considering downsizing from a 1.8TSI Octavia Scout.

My company recently changed our car allowance rules...before I could pretty much have whatever I liked so long as it was 2.5 litres or less...actually afforded me alot of choice.

Now I am limited to a max CO2 of 120g and the car cannot be more than 7 years old. Leaves options a little less open.

As a consequence have given some consideration for what I might do if I dont take a company car and stay with the allowance.....I might drop from a mundane diesel hatchback and downsize.

VW for instance offer the Polo GT...sure its not a big car but 150ps in something thats about 1100kgs sounds like quite alot of fun to me...they are well built little cars and come with decent infotainment and cruise so likely wont be a terrible car to do some commuting and motorway miles in. Whilst not overly cheap to buy would no doubt prove quite cheap to run.

More interesting still....have jus noted that VW have re-launched the R Line spec Polo and for MY16 will be offering it with a 1.0 TSI motor with 110ps and nearly 146 lb/ft torque.....0-62 is just over 9 secs and 122mph top speed......sounds mightily inpressive for a 998cc 3 cyl motor.

Again 110ps in something that weighs just over a ton is getting towards old school Golf GTI territory which I quite like the sound of. I also suspect this signals the likelihood of the launch of the mythical Up! GT.

Might get the missus a big bus (7 seater of some sort perhaps) as our family wheels and have something like this as a paid for commuter hack......probably beats spending 25ish K on a Golf GTD methinks.

Anyone else thought about it...be interested to hear your thoughts.

What sort for use, town, A roads etc. Is image a factor?

I don't know about you, but if you do a fair bit of motorway driving like me, I feel safer in a car the size of an Octy rather than a smaller car like a Polo or Fiesta or Fabia.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk