Stand Off With A Mercedes On A Narrow Road - Back Road 'Extreme Chicken'

FUBAR

Good fun.

But then the HGV driver knew there was only a short reverse to let the car with camera go on its way.

Was there any place back the way for the vehicle with camera to go back to to let a HGV pass? 

Oh aye there were plenty of places, but that wasn't the deal!  :notme:

• Like 1

Usually the deal is that one person has to get on with earning a living and has a more mature attitude to narrow roads and 2 vehicles being unable to pass safely.

You need to watch it again and look at the tyre marks on the road :p We were travelling the same direction a couple of minutes before  :nerd:

Would have been a different outcome if it was me in my tractor opposing you (depending on what sort of mood I was in of course).  :devil:

Your hill start was **** poor too  :D

• Like 4

Would have been a different outcome if it was me in my tractor opposing you (depending on what sort of mood I was in of course).  :devil:

Your hill start was **** poor too  :D

That's because it started in reverse! LOL 

Ah so you were ready to buckle and reverse back then. Not so 'mad max' after all.  :p

I was reversing to facilitate the lorries turning initially. 

So can we see the lead up to that Reversing of the Mercedes?

Sure :D 

It all started because I had to use that road, because the main road is closed all week :( This was an unauthorised, unsigned road closure incident where they had dug a trench across the friggin road. As it's a little used road bar folk who live on it, they didn't bother, but hadn't realised the other road was closed. A right pain in the hoop tbh. I was glad I didn't get there any earlier, 21 miles extra if I had to turn around. 

• Like 2

Back road??????

Bloody northerners....

Where my mate lives that would be classed as a main road!!

For the purpose of Briskoda when it has grass growing in the middle of the road, it's a back road.  :p

When there is a Hump in the middle that a Skoda Yeti scrapes its underside on, its probably just a road.

I am on 16" alloys with 60 not 55 profile tyres and my stock suspension Octy brushes the middle of that road :o It's slow going! I can ground the car at anything over 6mph on a particular local road and most local roads there are parts on A roads where the NSL applies that you must slow to 45 or you will add to the sump and diff drag marks. Utter crap roads! Can't wait to see what they are doing to the bit closed off, as per usual it's one of the better stretches, so they will likely be covering it with tar and chipping as it's easy and get's their stats up! 

• Like 1

Years ago I had a run in with the local "I own a Merc - get out of my way peasant" on a narrow road near Malvern; the single width section is about 200m long, and I was 150M through it when the "Lady" driver appeared at the other end; she drove in about 10m then stopped; I kept going forwards under the assumption she would back up the 10m and let me through.

NO WAY, she started sounding her horn and gesticulating at me to back up the 190m for her!!

So I switched the engine off, picked up the paperback I keep in the car and settled down for a quiet read; after about 5 minutes she got the message and backed up.

(The Clevelode junction turning towards Malvern for any locals reading)

• Like 3

My dad is the champion of this game.

When he was a postman, he had rural round, and a great big LDV 400 to do it in. He was driving down a road which was wide enough for two vehicles to pass if one put its wheels on the grass. The catch is, two wheels on the grass, wet verge, rear wheel drive van and ditches aren't a great combination. Some lass came the other way in a Range Rover and abjectly refused to pull on the verge. Much flashing of lights, sounding of horn and "out of my way peasant" waving came from her. He gave it a few minutes, realised she wasn't moving, so got out of the van with his post bag. Walked around the back, pulled a pushbike out and pedalled off to the next farm.

I've come close, I was doing a load of deliveries round London before Christmas in a XLWB Sprinter. I had to pull out of a side road and turn left. Traffic was stop-start, and folks were doing one from the front, one from the side filterring. I started pulling out when the statutory berk in a Merc decided she wasn't going to let me out, and pulled right up to my offside. Well, that gave me three choices. Take the front of her car off with the back end swinging out (fair option, but I hadn't taken the damage waiver on the van), get involved (life's too short to give a ****), or.

Look down at her, shake head, pull the keys out, stick them on the top of the door card so she can see them, and start reading the paper while she beeps, gesticulates and gradually turns purple. Two or three minutes later, she backed up a bit, I looked down, shook head, not enough, waved her back a bit, and went back to the paper. Everyone else had 5 minutes getting stressed (apart from the lorry driver behind her who thought it was funny as hell), I had a 5 minute rest and a read while she finally managed to reverse another couple of yards. Give a ****? Me? Nope. I don't know what you do for a living love, but they're paying me by the hour.

• Like 4

Usual occurrence way back in my younger days. My late dad had an ideal way of dealing with it in his postman days, if near a house. he'd pick his bag up ,from the van, or the mail for that house, and inform the car driver that he would do as any concerned citizen and ask the police to attend, as he'd found a driver ,who'd passed test, but couldn't reverse. Almost always, he came back to find car in lay by .In the other branch of GPO, we used to vie to have an apprentice with a driving licence with us. One of my mates actually took out his lunch pack, and thermos in full view of non reverser and proceeded to have lunch.

Usual occurrence way back in my younger days. My late dad had an ideal way of dealing with it in his postman days, if near a house. he'd pick his bag up ,from the van, or the mail for that house, and inform the car driver that he would do as any concerned citizen and ask the police to attend, as he'd found a driver ,who'd passed test, but couldn't reverse. Almost always, he came back to find car in lay by .In the other branch of GPO, we used to vie to have an apprentice with a driving licence with us. One of my mates actually took out his lunch pack, and thermos in full view of non reverser and proceeded to have lunch.

My old boss had a motorhome, used to get stand offs on narrow lanes with cars.

So he'd just pop into the back, make a brew, sit back in the drivers seat drinking the brew and reading the paper.

They got the point.

• Like 2

Years ago I had a run in with the local "I own a Merc - get out of my way peasant" on a narrow road near Malvern; the single width section is about 200m long, and I was 150M through it when the "Lady" driver appeared at the other end; she drove in about 10m then stopped; I kept going forwards under the assumption she would back up the 10m and let me through.

NO WAY, she started sounding her horn and gesticulating at me to back up the 190m for her!!

So I switched the engine off, picked up the paperback I keep in the car and settled down for a quiet read; after about 5 minutes she got the message and backed up.

(The Clevelode junction turning towards Malvern for any locals reading)

We should start a club and make tee-shirts!