anyone tow with a greenline 1.6tdi combi

So I've got a greenline 1.6tdi combi and I'm thinking of getting a caravan. Does anyone tow a caravan with 1.6 tdi or should I forget about a caravan

If the caravan is below the rated towing capacity of the car then you'll be fine, but expect to have to downshift a lot more on long climbs. The suspension on the greenline is lowered compared to the other Superb models, so with a full load up you might have to be careful on speedbumps. Fuel economy will naturally also get a hammering...

Edited by psycholist
  • Like 1

I have a 1.6 Greenline saloon and I'm thinking of getting a caravan. I'd like to know if it's possible to tow. I'll dig out the owners manual but any tips gladly accepted.

• 1 year later...

Update - I towed a trailer tent (c 500kg) around France for 1,200 km. The lowered suspension on the green line means you have to expect to bottom out on speed bumps some of the time. The engine handled things fine. The trailer is braked which made a difference. I got 41mpg. That's with a roof box fitted as well.

• Like 1

The greenline is shockingly slow and doesn't have any power, I wouldn't recommend towing in it, especially a wobble box. Loaded 5 up with suitcases you'd be quicker walking. Get it mapped first

G

Edited by Taxi_G
  • Like 2

Taxi_G, on 03 Sept 2016 - 17:59, said:

The greenline is shockingly slow and doesn't have any power, I wouldn't recommend towing in it, especially a wobble box. Loaded 5 up with suitcases you'd be quicker walking. Get it mapped first

G

Sssshhhh!  Keep quiet man!  There's huge numbers of 1.6d Superb & Passat owners - they have no idea their cars couldn't pull a drunk sailor off their Granny.

They wont be happy campers - never mind towing one - if we discover how truly awful our CR105's are.  :x

Edited by TheRobinK

G

whilst its true its no powerhouse it isnt that bad, ive 2 and the hatchback on 109,000 feels better than my 2015 with 40K on it, the Mk3 1.6 is 120PS up from 105PS, a remap may help i suppose but at £300+ its a luxury i cant afford right now

ill have a 200PS DSG next time

whilst its true its no powerhouse it isnt that bad, ive 2 and the hatchback on 109,000 feels better than my 2015 with 40K on it, the Mk3 1.6 is 120PS up from 105PS, a remap may help i suppose but at £300+ its a luxury i cant afford right now

ill have a 200PS DSG next time

I'm currently looking at a 190 DSG L&K Estate, just can't justify it at the moment, but booked in for a test drive so that may change my mind. Only had my superb since January but too slow

G

Anyone know of a good remapping company in or near Cork in Ireland?

Joe Power at Chipped Ireland would be very good. He's based in Meath though so it's a bit of a trip. He tunes on a rolling road so you'll be able to walk away with a printout of the before and after.

If you're getting a remap you'll need to talk to your insurer first to see what they're willing to cover. Having a dyno printout will be helpful with this.

If you're unhappy with the power from the 1.6, it might be worthwhile to investigate the cost of changing to either 2.0 engine. It might work out cheaper in the long run than keeping a tuned 1.6 on the road.