Squeaky Rapid

Hi

I have a problem with my rapid hatch, 1.2tsi.

When going over bumps in the road (particularly around 20mph) there is an annoying squeak which sounds like its from the underside of the car (sounds like its under the rear passenger side seat area).  My initial thought was a suspension issue but I'm unable to recreate the squeak when bouncing the car; and it doesn't occur if going 'straight' over speed bumps in a car park for instance.  

The dealer have had a go at fixing it (couldnt tell me what they did!), but to no avail.  Has anyone had any similar issues or good ideas what might be the problem. 

The car is a 13 plate with ~24k miles. 

Thanks

David

I have the same issue.

Mine is defo from the front nearside suspension area and it is very prominent when going over speed bumps.

TBH I've just given up bothering with the bag of Shi*e that I have bought and will NOT be buying another skoda.

As the advert goes, Simply clever. My arse.

My new moto is, Simply Shi*e

Edited by wire
  • Like 1

I think they all rattle and squeak.

Like Fiats...I once mentioned a new noise from my Punto straight after servicing.

My recently late mechanic (RIP Paul White of The Laurels) said - "It's a FIAT, thats how you know it's still alive..."

• Like 1

I think it is happening with all manufactures as they try to make their vehicles lighter, more fuel efficient and cut costs (or should I say increase profit here?). Anyway unless you're buying a Rolls Royce Phantom I think its a case of get used to it. My friends' performance car (I won't mention the brand but it is powered by a black horse...) rattles and squeaks and his car cost a GREAT deal more than ours! 

• Like 2

Check the shock absorber boots, they are plastic on my Toledo. I noticed the other day when I had my wheels off they rattle about (loose fitting) so could produce a squeak/ratttle.

On my other car they are made of rubber.

Above worth checking, just something else to cross off the checked list.

Edited by MickA

It might be the rubber on door edges, I use "Gummi Pflege Stift" - Rubber Care Stick

Thanks just ordered this, I don't have any squeaks but I was looking for something to care for the exposed rubber seals/trims.

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

2 years after this problem materialising the cause of the noise has finally been found and fixed.  

Ended up being a loose gearbox mount.  Hopefully this helps someone with the same problem.  

Definitely recommend Volksworks in Leeds who got to the bottom of this where the main dealers failed.  

• Like 2

2 years still chasing it. Wow! That's dedication. Mine has creaked over every speed bump since new. Selling it now at 3 1/2 years old with the same noise.

Mind you my last FIAT had a squeaky rear shock mount for the whole 10 years I had it from new.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same problem it doesn't seem consistent with speed or weather. 

To me and my mechanic it seems to be the black polystyrene that's wedged in between the front bumper. If I press down on the front bumper it squeeks a little like the polyesterien is rubbing up the plastic bumper and I guees that's amplified when driving.

Everone else's squeek my be something else though as stated.

• 4 weeks later...

I  had the same issue. Took it to the dealer and within 30 mins they phoned me and said that they were going to replace the anti rollbar suspension links under warranty. No more squeak. The speed of their diagnosis led me to believe that they were aware of the issue.

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2016 Spaceback early this year - the front passenger side squeaks and sounds like bed springs when going over some speed bumps when it's cold out. 
The main dealer said it was normal and not to worry, local Skoda service centre said it sounded wrong and they could have a look. It sort of stopped doing it of its own now its warmer, so I haven't gotten around to checking - I figure I'll get them to check the suspension links next time it has a service, but it's otherwise OK!

The intermittent odd noises are the worst - you just know full well it won't do it when you take it in. 

(mine also doesn't do it if you bounce it up and down by hand)

Someone mentioned elsewhere about this squeak, seems to be coming from the front left suspension. They had it fixed, it was a gearbox mount needed torquing up.

• 2 months later...

Very often it's the bushes that make the squeaking noise but very often the garage does not do anything about them other than spraying it with some lubricant as a) it's a pain to remove the old one (putting in the new one is actually simple job and new part is cheap too) and b) if it's not damaged it does not need to be replaced. We had that on our old Fabia, but in our case the bushes weren't in a great condition so had to be replaced - magic done! We had similar issue on our current Rapid Spaceback after it was stationary for about 3 weeks so they lubricated them in the garage and it helped for about a week, then it returned and it gradually disappeared after a month. The squeaking sometimes returns in hot weather when going over the speed bumps - it is annoying but I can assure you it's not just Skoda 🙂 It's more the case of any rubber after some time...

• 6 months later...

I pity anyone that has had to listen to that squeak,after a while it cuts through your head,especially if you live wheres the a **** load of speedramps,like me 😠

I bought my 162 skoda rapid on the 20-12-19,all fine,smooth comfortable nice to drive but about 3-4 weeks later front left hand side started squeaking over every speed bump,brought it back to the garage and they said they tightened everything and greased everything

Drove home all perfect,

Very next morning driving to work all the front right hand side started squeaking and very loud,

Brought it back monday just gone,made the manager drive it with me,up and down kerbs,tried everything not a ****ing squeak to be heard,was raging,told him to drive it to the next town,very first speed bump squeaking like **** and everyother one after it,

Now i said.....i am not listening to that ****ing noise every single time i go over a speed bump,dont blame you he said,

Back to the mechanic...drove home monday eve all perfect,not a sound over at least 50-100 speedbumps,i tested it well,drove to work this morning all perfect,driving this everying and.....starting to squeak again on the front right,fuming,for anyone that hasnt heard it,it cuts through your skull after 3 or 4 bumps

If it squeaks tomorrow god help the poor ****er that answers the phone

I dont care what anyone or any garage or mechanic says theres no ****ing way that its NORMAL and you just have to get used to it, no car should sound like that,

Think ill be handing the keys back if thats NORMAL

Sorry i bought it now should have stuck with ford

My first one did it at certain soeed over speedbumps, but only occasionally, my second one doesn't. In 2014 it was a common complaint on here. There must be more threads. One Irish lad had the whole front left corner replaced under warranty, still did it sometimes. I seem to recall the ultimate answer was to do with droplinks.

Edited by camelspyyder

Squeaking from the front can literally be anything. And when they tighten stuff on one side, something literally starts squeaking on the opposite side. Luckily only happens to me when going over speed bumps at higher speed.

Koreenium.....the problem in the first place is it SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING anytime

Back squeaking like **** again

Rang the garage they said the car was completely checked and the car is fine and roadworthy

So there getting the keys back in the morning

Theres no way its normal and no way anyone should have to listen to it everytime they go over a speedramp

Well im not putting up with it anyone

Camelspyyder i wish i had your patience 2 weeks now and my skull is fried,instantly puts you in bad humour

No one should have to listen to it and theres no way in hell its normal

Car going back to the garage again in the morning and if not fixed properly the car will be going back and finance cancelled,no way am i putting up with that for the next 3-10 years