Strange noise when releasing clutch

Yetski

Who:    Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI  30kmiles  11reg

What:   Brief abrasive metalic rubbing noise

Where: Clutch

When:  First thing in the morning from a cold start but only for the first few gear changes. Noise only happens when the clutch is halfway through the release during the gear engagement.

Why: ?

Any advise on what to do greatly appreciated  :notme:

Edited by Yetski

Is this on releasing or pressing the clutch and can you feel anything on the pedal?

Any rattling or squeaking noise with bonnet up on tick-over?

• 3 weeks later...

Had that noise for years and so have many drivers including Audi and others. If is sounds like a squeal, then let the clutch out more gently and also more aggressively and you may find it doesn't happen (or not to the same extent). I've found, that as asbestos is no longer used in clutch discs, the new materials can cause this noise (resonating) till they 'warm' up. You may find that it only happens in first and reverse and only when starting off. It's because of this material and you are hitting the 'sweet spot' regularly as you let the clutch out. I've posted about this before and people didn't believe me (including the 'mechanics') and said it was duel  mass clutch failure. Well mine is still fine (no flywheel change, which sounds nothing like a squeal in any case). I'm not saying I'm 100% right, but I suggest you try my theory and see what happens before you go off to the dealer and get a nice big bill. Hope this helps. Regards Dave

Edited by midnight sun

• 1 month later...

If the clutch is impegnated with ceramic instead of 'sintered' (metal) it might make the noise that F1 cars do with cold brakes.....a metallic squeel which goes away with heat build up.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Who:    Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI  30kmiles  11reg

What:   Brief abrasive metalic rubbing noise

Where: Clutch

When:  First thing in the morning from a cold start but only for the first few gear changes. Noise only happens when the clutch is halfway through the release during the gear engagement.

Why: ?

Any advise on what to do greatly appreciated  :notme:

Hi, any progress with the issue as it seems I have the same on my Yeti (same 1.8 TSI engine 2011).

I have a 1.8 TSI 2009 elegance 4x4 and the exact thing has been happening for about a year, when i took it down when it was still under warranty they waffled and told me it was the turbo spooling up when you accelerate. 

Since then its got worse, now in reverse/1st when pulling away using the clutch, especially when cold, i get a loud scraping noise. exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z43o5Ud6i_k

To be honest i'm not happy, its only done just more than 40k and has not had a hard life.  If they had diagnosed properly when under warranty id have had more chance of them fixing it.

Nice car, but Its already had new suspension all around, has rust on the drivers door seal area, brand new xenon headlights due to 1 failing intermittently, poor rear leather seat stitching.

Is this the same sound as yours?

Yep, I've had exactly the same noise for last 3 years. Did it very occasionally whilst still under warranty, but could not be reproduced whilst at the dealer.

Now well out of warranty, it does it more frequently from cold, but hardly ever once it's warmed up. At last service visit to dealer, they said it's almost certainly the clutch release bearing.  They'll attend to it if I really want them to but then they'd replace the clutch at the same time and it's not worth touching it if I can put up with the occasional noise as it can go on like this for years with no further deterioration.

Trading it in soon (at the same dealer!) so I'm leaving it well alone.

Yes. Same noise with me too. I have it only when cold (in the morning) 1st/reverse but for almost a year now with 60k km on the clock. The dealers told me that it should not be a problem but its annoying when you expectations are that it is going to get worse and something is going to break eventually.

Update: I have been given a whole new clutch kit, flywheel under warranty and the noise has gone! fair play to Skoda UK and my local dealer as it was done under goodwill due to full skoda history and low mileage.

Good result.  I hope you'll make a suitable post in the dealer's thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/289-dealer-reviews/  There's a natural tendency for us to make complaints but not offer praise

• Like 1

Update: I have been given a whole new clutch kit, flywheel under warranty and the noise has gone! fair play to Skoda UK and my local dealer as it was done under goodwill due to full skoda history and low mileage.

A 'result' for loyalty!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1.8 TSI 2009 elegance 4x4 and the exact thing has been happening for about a year, when i took it down when it was still under warranty they waffled and told me it was the turbo spooling up when you accelerate. 

Since then its got worse, now in reverse/1st when pulling away using the clutch, especially when cold, i get a loud scraping noise. exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z43o5Ud6i_k

To be honest i'm not happy, its only done just more than 40k and has not had a hard life.  If they had diagnosed properly when under warranty id have had more chance of them fixing it.

Nice car, but Its already had new suspension all around, has rust on the drivers door seal area, brand new xenon headlights due to 1 failing intermittently, poor rear leather seat stitching.

Is this the same sound as yours?

Yes - this is it! How much to get this fixed? It sounds expensive  :peek:

I've decided to leave it, the car has only done 40k miles in total and about 4k with the noise. Having read numerous forums on this and similar, I suspect that this is the clutch release bearing (not DMF) and that the car should be good for another 40k miles

No point in paying for 8 hours labour to replace a bearing imo

• 1 year later...

Hey Everyone,

Long time no post! Well I thought I'd revisit this thread because the noise hasnt gone away and my local Skoda stealership, Allams of Epsom, are doing a deal on a new clutch - im getting the clutch replaced as well as the release bearing for £740 on July 26th - will let you know how I get on!

My wife has informed me that if this doesn't fix the noise she will go nuts :)

Edited by Yetski

• 3 weeks later...