S4 or 335d

335D

I test drove an S4 when I bought my 3.0tdi A4 (it was because the only car Audi could find with the optional Sports Diff, was the S4) and I was rather disappointed with it. It covered ground quickly enough and had bags of grip, but it left me cold. The engine note is rather subdued too sadly. I think the 335D will please you more with it's slightly more RWD feel, although as it is also a full time 4x4 it might not :D But the 335D engine is astonishing (the 0-62 is something like 4.7 seconds). It sound quite good for a diesel, but not as pleasant as the S4 (the one I drove did have an interesting Supercharger whine :) ). The BMW rode better too, but I think the Audi (B8) A4s all have this rather brittle ride quality (I had the full Drive Select package too) :(

But there again the Audi interior will probably please you more, while the pro Nav is superior imho (I have it in my M135). If you go for the 335D you will get the 8 Speed auto and I can't recommend this gearbox highly enough. It's practically as quick as a DSG, but with the added bonus of better downshifting in lower gears and with the intergalactic 8th gear, you can cruise all day long at 'proper' motorway speeds and get high 40s mpg. The S4 I drove averaged in the low 20s iirc, it certainly wasn't too good. There is a facelift 3 series about to be launched, but apart from teeny tweaks the 335D is being left alone. There is however a brand new A4 just around the corner, which I suspect you already knew :) not too long ago you could get over £9,000 off a new 335D at some brokers.

If you are looking at second hand, I'd recommend having a look at the Merc C350CDi AMG Sport Plus, as it's the car I replaced the Audi with and thought it to be a more enjoyable thing altogether.

Thanks for that excellent review. I have a test drive for a nearly new 335d lined up tomorrow. I didn't realise real world economy was that bad in the Audi.

If believe the LCI 3 series will lose the 335d badge and will be called a 340d. Apart from LED tail lights and new DRLs at the front I can't see a mass of changes to the current shape.

Do you know which brokers were offering those deals?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

A supercharged V8 in the B8 Audi S4?

Think the new ones are V6 turbo?

Friends of ours have a 2007 RS4 avant and that is awesome!

Could you not try a fast diesel Audi for better comparison?

V6 supercharged

Depends what you need from the car. Up here I'd get more use from grip of 4wd but. Where that's not needed the RWD will be much more rewarding

Ps real world sensible driving mpg in s4 is around 32-34mpg

Edited by kenny
  • Like 1

A supercharged V8 in the B8 Audi S4?

Think the new ones are V6 turbo?

Friends of ours have a 2007 RS4 avant and that is awesome!

Could you not try a fast diesel Audi for better comparison?

The engine used to be a supercharged V6 I believe. V8 is RS

Surely you need to ask yourself this simple question first.

Do you require a diesel, or a petrol?

I used to think that, but diesels are so quick these days they are a performance alternative to petrol imho. I think of diesels as more like a big American V8, just without the fab sound track. The 335D is indecently quick, as well as economical. I think the S4 would struggle to keep up with one as well as getting poor mpg. If you do go for the S4, the Sports Diff is essential  I reckon. It made my car handle a lot better than the standard Quattro, which understeered like a "stuck pig" as they used to say. It's a clever thing that works on the overrun as well as under load :) One word of warning is, mine broke after I had a bit too much fun in it one day and the bill for the replacement was £7,000! (including fitting) Luckily it was under warranty, but from a £500 tick box on an order form, it came as a mighty surprise. I would look at whether it is covered in a used car warranty if buying one second hand and if it isn't, walk away from the deal.

• Like 1

Time to bring out Chris Harris yet again.

AWD is not just for Xmas in the UK.

& this is why so many UK Drivers of BMW's now go for the X-Drive cars.

Are rear wheel drive diesel BMW's really more rewarding with all the Electrics switched on at UK NSL's?

Or do most owners / drivers know not one bit of difference, except when the Tyres and Electrics do not save the back end stepping out at junctions and roundabouts in the Wet /Cold.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Guest BigJase88

The F3x 335d is xDrive only I believe

Correct

New 335d is xdrive only

Also someone mentioned 8 speed auto (thats only the new F cars) E90's are 6 speed auto's

Correct

New 335d is xdrive only

Also someone mentioned 8 speed auto (thats only the new F cars) E90's are 6 speed auto's

I believe he is looking at current F models :)

Time to bring out Chris Harris yet again.

AWD is not just for Xmas in the UK.

& this is why so many UK Drivers of BMW's now go for the X-Drive cars.

Are rear wheel drive diesel BMW's really more rewarding with all the Electrics switched on at UK NSL's?

Or do most owners / drivers know not one bit of difference, except when the Tyres and Electrics do not save the back end stepping out at junctions and roundabouts in the Wet /Cold.

My A4 3.0tdi Quattro covered ground at least as quickly as my C350 Cdi AMG Sport Plus etc etc in the dry and obviously was quicker in poor condition's, but it isn't just about speed. The Merc was more fun to drive (and slightly quicker in a straight line if that's your main thing) than the Audi. The Merc definitely felt rear driven and the Audi didn't. You just stood on the accelerator in the Audi and off you went.

I once travel in a quick moving convoy with a modified 330D (I documented the trip on Brisky somewhere) and in the appalling conditions, proved that the BMWs extra power didn't help it and ultimately my Audi was quicker. Which car was more fun to live with? Well I suspect it wasn't my A4 :( It depends what you want really. You give up a little of the fun and replace it with security. Only you can know what the correct ratio of those two things is. For me, the Audi came close, but when I made the move to the Merc I found a little something that I had been missing and at the same time gave up the all weather 'uber thing'. I nearly bought a 335D when I got my M135 and on a personal level I really rate this car. It's quicker than my M135 in many conditions too

I used to think that, but diesels are so quick these days they are a performance alternative to petrol imho. I think of diesels as more like a big American V8, just without the fab sound track. The 335D is indecently quick, as well as economical.

I can see that side of it but does the 35D have a party trick over the 35i? If I could afford to run a S4 and was considering one I just don't get why I'd compare/consider the diesel BM over the petrol unless I'm missing something.

Hi Matt

Yes it is an odd comparison. I was initially looking at a new shape estate Octavia vRS TSi but have been lured by the Germans.

I test drove a 335d XDrive today and bloomin 'eck. I am sold! Just need to convince the Mrs now...

• Like 1

I can see that side of it but does the 35D have a party trick over the 35i? If I could afford to run a S4 and was considering one I just don't get why I'd compare/consider the diesel BM over the petrol unless I'm missing something.

Well the handling is rather dull on the S4 imho of course. Like I said, it has bags of grip and covers ground quickly, but then so does Japanese Knotweed. The BMW is easily as fast in performance terms, with nearly as much power and a huge amount of extra Torques, plus it feels a little more like it's RWD siblings. It's just it uses taller gears with loads more torque to get things done (like a big yang V8) than the S4. For my money the 335D is the better drivers car, but the Audi is a nicer place to sit and contemplate the build quality. :)

I think I am agreeing. People rave about Audi interiors but I thought the Beemer wins hands down even on that front.

I recently had a nearly new 330d x drive out and also the 530d non x drive, not too far away from the 335d. Both were extremely capable and the straight six diesel even sounded nice. As someone else said the 8speed auto box is very nice and very quick too.

I could not find anything in the VAG factory that I would trust without a decent warranty, they seem to suffer a few transmission woes.

For my money the BMW gets my vote and the xdrive gives better 0-60 times but also all-round all years grip!

Edited by Defenderben