Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

snip...

The phone offer from Seat can be used as a counter argument to show they are aware of the issues inside the VW group.

Keep sharing info, we can all benefit from the proposed solutions.

PS: In a few months the currently compatible phones (and new ones) with MirrorLink should go down in price and become more interesting if this is the only option.

but why should you change your phone to make "IT" compatible with the system in the car?

surely skoda should be making the system in the car compatible with your phones?

The satnav option is a bit of a cop out really, as someone mentioned its not particularly a solution, more a givethemfreecraptoshutthemup.

Am I right in saying that the post22's are shipping with an updated Bolero as oposed to a Amundsen?

The satnav option is a bit of a cop out really, as someone mentioned its not particularly a solution, more a givethemfreecraptoshutthemup.

Am I right in saying that the post22's are shipping with an updated Bolero as oposed to a Amundsen?

Yes that's right. So post Week 22 SE/SEL cars will have Bolero as standard which looks identical to pre Week 22 ones but has the SmartLink feature (I.e. Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Mirrorlink). AND, post Week 22 new build customers are given the choice to upgrade (for £275) to an Amundsen radio, which again should be aesthetically identical, but has a built in Skoda Sat Nav feature.

Edited by Dilz
  • Like 1

Yes that's right. So post Week 22 SE/SEL cars will have Bolero as standard which looks identical to pre Week 22 ones but has the SmartLink feature (I.e. Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Mirrorlink). AND, post Week 22 new build customers are given the choice to upgrade (for £275) to an Amundsen radio, which again should be aesthetically identical, but has a built in Skoda Sat Nav feature.

Cheers for clearing that up, seems even more ridiculous that they are stating its not retrofittable now.

I've heard it said that a good negotiation tactic (in the context of trying to get a deal on a car) is:

Knock them (dealer) out of the trees (their ridiculous RRP)

Drop them in the gutter (your ridiculously underpriced offer)

Meet them on the pavement (bargain for you !)

Looks like Skoda are trying to turn the tables and use that principle here.

They consider your resolutions to be in the trees, and you consider their offer to be in the gutter (and quite rightly so)

I hope you get this resolved somewhere higher than pavement level 

• Like 1

I made a few calls today to try and obtain a bit more information on changing the stereo, this might not be news to some that understand the ins and outs but it was a school day for me so I thought id share it.

I spoke to Skoda first, and for the third consecutive time I had to explain the issues with pre week 22 builds because apparently their all totally unaware of any existing, anyway I was told when I asked that the stereo is a standard double din fitting, which turned out to be untrue so I was lied to.

He also explained that smartlink isn't something that can be loaded onto the bolero it has to be done as part of the wiring build in the manufacturer process, which I guess most of us know by now.

I also asked if there is any reason why I wouldn't be able to retrofit an aftermarket stereo such as a pioneer to which he answered "No not at all"

So I called Pioneer who told me through their own research into the new Fabia it is not a standard double din, it is a custom design for the car to accommodate an air vent behind the dash and the depth isn't great enough for a normal double din stereo such as pioneers products.

There may be a development is the future, an aftermarket solution or it may just be impossible but i have lost hope now to be honest.

I felt like Pioneer were able to tell me more about the build of the Fabia than Skoda were and that customer service just palmed me off as another annoying pre week 22 customer.

I dare not go on the Skoda website anymore as the Fabia page, boasting android auto and carplay drives me nuts and an email from Skoda bragging about how amazing their award winning customer service is just about tipped me over the edge for a Monday.

Hi Eddy08 I think you are right we have probably come to the end of the line. The company who sold Mirrorlink to Skoda must have sent in a real Del Boy to do the deal and It's nice to know Arthur Daily " les autos par exceleaunce" is still alive and well and working at Skoda Customer Care how they can brag about customer service is beyond me.

Missed a call from this number 03330037224 rang it back it was Skoda with a recorded message saying they will call back. Have put the number in my phone so it shows up they may get more than they bargained for when they ring again Joe

Just received a call from Skoda Spain. According to the man I talked to, my phone is the problem and I have to check the site to see which ones are compatible and buy a new one. When I mentioned that the list has changed and some phones disappeared from the Mirrorlink site, he said it's because they're not compatible anymore and in any case that's Skoda's fault, even though they sold me a car that was compatible with the phone when I bought it and wasn't when the car arrived.

They will contact the seller and call me when they have some news. I don't know what he expects to achieve by talking to the seller, given that I already talked to them and don't know what to do about the MIrrorlink/Smartlink problem.

Finally, I told him that I wasn't satisfied at all with the answer from Skoda Spain and I hope they escalate my case and I receive a proper answer. I'll wait for a few days and I will start to make some noise in Facebook and Twitter.

So, many weeks later... Whatcar? have just got back to my complaint email asking for photographs and stating that they will look into this. Let's see how we get on!

• Like 1

SKODA UK RESPONSE TODAY:

If Mirrorlink does not work - TOUGH

If Sygic does not work - TOUGH

Neither are anything to do with Skoda, despite them both being featured in the original brochure.

Take you free Garmin Sat Nav and p**s off loyal Skoda customers.

To say I am fuming is an understatement.

I now have to go back to my dealer, and try to sort something with them, when it's not even really their fault.

WHAT A RIDICULOUS SITUATION!

• Like 1

I'm a bit late to the party on this one and thought it was all my fault. I had a Galaxy Note 4 that I thought would be compatible as it was listed as having Mirrorlink certification for 1.1 (which we now know means nothing), how wrong could I be! 

So having bought a new HTC (£300+) , Sygic Nav+Speed Camera (£95), the screen still goes off whilst on the move. Anybody else see "The mobile device is restricted"?

The Bolero manual says something about "Check if the date is correctly set in the device". Yes, it is. 

I'm a bit late to the party on this one and thought it was all my fault. I had a Galaxy Note 4 that I thought would be compatible as it was listed as having Mirrorlink certification for 1.1 (which we now know means nothing), how wrong could I be! 

So having bought a new HTC (£300+) , Sygic Nav+Speed Camera (£95), the screen still goes off whilst on the move. Anybody else see "The mobile device is restricted"?

The Bolero manual says something about "Check if the date is correctly set in the device". Yes, it is. 

Do you have your phone plugged in?

You seem to have done everything else correctly.

If it is a fault with Mirrorlink or with Sygic the Skoda's response is 'WE DON'T CARE'

Welcome to the party, you can cry if you want to, you would cry too if it happened to you........oh wait.........it did......sob.

• Like 1

I seem to remember on here something about device has to be connected via USB , as it cuts out when moving is on bluetootth?

as to the check date, is both phone and bolero correct date / time

Hi i bought htc one m8 end sygic but it does not work because is not the right version. You must buy that one http://www.sygic.com/it/car-navigation/features.

You Can ask for refund to sygic Customer care they vive you money back..

http://www.sygic.com/car-navigation/features

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.incar&utm_source=sygic.com&utm_medium=header-features&utm_campaign=features

It needs to be the full "Sygic Car navigation" version.

The other versions have no certificate/license to be used when driving.

And as said before, use the data-USB cable who came with the phone.

PS: Do not update your phone to Android 5 if you use kitkat, if you did it already and it works, please confirm, so we know.

Keep us updated  :notme:

Hi there, I am trying to solve ML issue with customer support, since I am also "lucky" owner of pre-w22 car. The guy from the Skoda said that my phone Samsung S4 mini is not compatible, by the way it is ML 1.1 compatibile and Bolero is trying to connect to it without success (Empty error message, cyclic re-connection). So Skoda implementation of ML is obviously ****ty. He said that I should look at http://compatibilitylist.skoda-auto.com/ or https://cert.mirrorlink.com/ProductListing/ for a compatible one. Now Kasperriis is saying that only HTC One M8 is working correctly?

So I wrote little script to dump all the phones from the site and the picture is quite clear, Skoda somehow hack-together ML function and then they were able to connect it to few smartphones. They officially support only 4!!! phones. The second list (official ML from CCC) is featuring some devices from Skoda list but according to Skoda compatibility site they doesn't support ML. And here is another official list http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones for ML and it is also different from Skoda.  

So it is not about ML compatibility but about Skoda ML compatiility?

Look for yourself

http://glados.horinek.sk/home/~horinek/skoda/mobile_db.pdf

data are available here

http://glados.horinek.sk/home/~horinek/skoda/mobile_db.ods

http://glados.horinek.sk/home/~horinek/skoda/mobile_db.xls

• Like 1

So it is not about ML compatibility but about Skoda ML compatiility?

Nice job  :clap:

Indeed, base yourself on the Skoda compatibility list to be sure.

The "HTC One M8" seems to work on android 4.4 and 5, so far the only remaining solution if you would like to upgrade your OS.

It's not a bad phone, the price is dropping and in a few months the last option will not be sold anymore, so you know what to do or ask your dealer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-One-32GB-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00BFC59T4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435253760&sr=8-3&keywords=HTC+One+M8

So far the fastest and cheapest option to have an integrated solution if Skoda keeps ignoring us.