Back for more advice - VRS Estate

Evening all.

Been a few months since I was on, but am looking for some help (sadly) again.

1. I seem to have fallen victim to oil consumption issues, had the service 5k ago ish and have flown through the 4 litres of oil they changed, and a further 4.  I took the car in for another fault (see point 2) and they advised me they need to run some oil weight test that will cost me £140.  Is this correct practice?

2.  Had an issue with the EPC / Engine light coming on, they diagnosed (for £90) and found a logged error for a misfire due to low fuel.  This was clearly not the correct cause and they said that this was a bug and did a software upgrade which should solve the issue.

3. Got the car home and went out again today and the engine light is flashing again.  It seems to be an issue whereby the gear changes are not happening properly / quick enough and the car is juddering.

Seems coincidental that this fault develops after they've had it (this is the second time, they broke an intake pipe when they changed the spark plugs at the service).

The car is out of warranty (by about 12 months), so am not expecting anything for free, but wondered whether it was worth calling Skoda UK about the oil (£140 seems steep for a known issue test).

It's due back in on Monday and am a bit worried they will ask for another £90 to diagnose, I may be as well phoning the AA.

You shouldn't pay for the oil consumption test. 

What you are describing sounds like misfiring and faulty plugs. Car running rough, juddering, shaking = misfiring.

Goneoffski will give a more definitive answer :)

Edited by Laars

Engine light will probably be your spark plugs and I'm guessing if they are wanting to charge you for the oil consumption then your out of warranty and have no extended in which case I would be complaining to skoda uk and asking for contribution as it is a well known issue

Thanks.

If it's the plugs then something is amiss as they changed them at the service 5k ago.

Yep am out of warranty and the woman looked at me as if I was stupid when I asked if I could talk to Skoda about it as it was a known issue.

Despite it being a known issue I can unfortunately see why the test is chargeable because you are out of warranty. It's standard practice with most car dealerships not just skoda

There is obviously a cost to the business to complete the test and if they did this for free for everyone out of warranty then they would be losing money. I would suggest that if there was a problem found then you have rounds to get it fixed and also to claim your money back.

Lets keep it simple.

Oil Consumption test.  £140.

If you have no Warranty, there is no point you paying for one.  Unless you are getting Goodwill from Skoda.

You know it is using oil.

The Dealership Tech can dip the Oil, see the level is correct, seal the Dip Stick & Filler Cap.

You use the car, a week, later dip the OIl.  tested enough, no new filter or oil used. 

The known Oil Use Issue is confirmed.

5,000 Miles ago the Spark Plugs were changed.

So check the Invoice, see they were the correct plugs fitted,

Another Member had the Spark Plugs changed at a Skoda Dealer, Cylinder 3 Spark Plug is failing, 

Spark Plugs are consumables, but the Dealers work is Guaranteed, and a failing Plug is the Manufacturers Issue,

or in this case, 'A Fundamental Engine Design Issue'.  

So Skoda need to be talked to, and actions taken there.

So Oil needs topped Up.

So all 4 Spark Plugs need closely Inspected.

If Cylinder 3 Coil has gone as well as cylinder 3 spark plug going, then that needs addressed.

The latest Software needs to be on the ECU.

Call Skoda UK Customer Services on Monday.

Get a Handler and a Case Number.

Then get a Customer Services Manager to call you.

Tom Chadwick, Dan Wilson, John Good or any one now.

See if Skoda UK are going to pay for a Diagnostic, and an Official Oil Consumption Test.

Then they can see if they are going to be paying for a Berather Pipe & Valve Mod,  New Spray Oil Jets (Squirters),

or a New Engine.

The Issues were all known when the car was Under Warranty,

So check with Skoda UK your cars Warranty History, 

Was the car ever in for Work, Oil Consumption Tests, Breather Pipe Mods, DSG Service Campaign etc.

Be sure to contact BBC Watchdog on Monday, to add your story to the ones they have already for the programme this week 

on the 2.0 TFSI Audi Oil Users.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Here are some of the issues

VW / Seat / Audi /Skoda have been having customers with the same issues as you since 2009, 

they know what they need to do, and VWG Dealerships or staff must just have started this week if they have no idea about the issues.

3 Monkeys.

All the best.

Raise a Case with Skoda UK on Monday.

You might need to pay some money, but a Solicitor & a Experts Engineer Report will get you the Money Back and maybe more,

VW are treating customers that bought their Faulty Design & Manufactured Product like they are stupid.

• Like 2

PS

Misfire from a failing spark plug might not Log because there will not be enough in the cycle.

Code for low fuel pressure.

They should maybe change the Fuel Filter. This could be the cause of that.

'They broke an intake pipe when changing the Spark Plugs last time'.

Then they need to check all the Inlet pipes again, and be more careful this time when checking the Spark Plug their Technician Fitted 

to see if it is OK.

Ask them the Spark Plug Gap before they do anything, just to see if they need to look it up.

Check if the Plugs last time were the correct ones, were they the plugs that VW / Skoda changed to as the recommended fitment?

Great advice, thanks.

I am going to check with the dealer to see if they are going to charge me for another diagnostic first, at the same time I'll speak to Skoda UK and see what they say about the Oil test etc.

First and foremost I need the current gear change / engine light issue fixed, my other half is due to give birth any time now and I can't have this hanging around.

Cheers

If the engine is not performing correctly then the DSG has difficulty operating correctly.

If you have an Oiled Spark Plug, and a failing Plug, and a Low Fuel Pressure that needs addressed ASAP.

Re the DSG.

?

Has the car Required or yet had the Service Campaign Free Field Action Carried out?

The MCU Checked, the Synthetic Oil Changed to Mineral & the Software Update to the ECU.

(and a sticker in the Book, and a remark in the Service Book to show it as having been done.)

If not, then maybe get it done.  Free and ask for a Courtesy Car while it is in getting done,.  They can do the Diagnostics then while 

doing the Work Skoda will be paying for.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/318748-vrs-estate-got-one

Tell us about what you did buy.

When was is first registered,  

how many miles had it covered and has it covered now, 

Did you check the Service history and any previous Warranty Claim History.

Do you run it on Tesco Momentum, Shell V-Power Nitro 99 ron,

or some 97 RON Super Unleaded?

EDIT.

I see some detail in post #12 & #14

White 11 plate.

Hopefully with the Service History Skoda UK will give serious thought to assisting you in getting this sorted out.

Goodwill seeing as they pretty much know the failure rate of these CAVE engine cars,

they have paid for quite a high percentage of the engines to be rebuilt and replaced, and now being Updated yet again 

with the latest attempt at reducing high oil usage.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Have a look under carpet in boot for a little sticker, think it is code 34f7 that will be written on it. Or thats what was on mine when they did the dsg. I've e-mailed to ask what another code is on my invoice to find out if had an ecu update done at same time

?

What is the other code on the invoice?

'74 C7' is the 'Heated Seat Element'  replacement Service Campaign code.

Spark Plugs.

If checking an Invoice to see what the Dealer Charged for, see if they are the latest Skoda listed.

03c905601B / SIZFR6B8EG

NGK 96290 (stock number)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

So it appears the 34f7 sticker is is present in the boot, was done by the previous owner at the registered dealership.

My invoice for the service where the plugs were changed shows 4 x 03C905601B, so that looks right.

That appears to be 2 less things to debate about.

Just looking through some documentation, so the service was done at 37873, and the mileage is now 43560.  4.1L of oil went in as part of the service, and since then 5L has gone in, so that's 9.1L for 5687 miles, so that's roughly 624 miles per litre of oil.

So first things first is to figure out this current misfire issue, then open a case with Skoda to talk about oil.

@goneoffski - When I bought it it had covered circa 33k, I did a thorough check (calling both Skoda UK and the registering / servicing dealership) and no warranty work or oil consumption tests were done.  Actually, 1 piece of warranty work was done which was replacing a corroded alloy wheel.

I have exclusively (except for 2 emergencies) run Shell V Power Nitro, and I have the drivers club points to prove it :)

• Like 1

?

What is the other code on the invoice?

'74 C7' is the 'Heated Seat Element'  replacement Service Campaign code.

Spark Plugs.

If checking an Invoice to see what the Dealer Charged for, see if they are the latest Skoda listed.

03c905601B / SIZFR6B8EG

NGK 96290 (stock number)

Thanks for the reminder - been meaning to check that since the Pod - aye, those are the ones listed on my service invoice.

• Like 1

IMPORTANT. re post #15 

So the first and pretty important question tomorrow is.

Why was there 4.1 litres of Oil on the last invoice. ?

Ask them maybe,

Can you please tell me the Oil Capacity of a 1.4 TSI CAVE engine in a 2011 Skoda Fabia MK2.?

Where was the extra Oil used,

and if it was put in the engine, why did they overfill the engine with oil?

Edited by goneoffSKi

I think you will find that everyone else correctly invoiced will be charged for 0.5 litre less.  ie 3.6 litres,

even though some technicians put a little extra in.

The Official Oil Consumption test is based on 3.6 Litres going in weighing 857 grams a litre, so 3085.2 grams.

New Oil & Filter put in,  taken up to operating temperature, level checked. (some top up a bit more because they go by the dipstick)

then the weight of the drained oil which is not all the capacity.

Then the vehicle covers the miles they require and the Oil is drained and weighed.

Maybe they have some reason that 4.1 litres is on your invoice.

So to recap.

Last Service at a Skoda Main Dealer had 4.1 Litres of Oil Invoiced for.

4 New Spark Plugs fitted and an Intake Pipe Broken.

Since that Service the car has required 9.1 litres of oil in 5,687 miles.

** Sounds like the Dealership Principal might want to think this over,**

*If the correct Spark Plugs were fitted, was the Pre Set gaps checked correctly,

& was the correct Quantity of oil used, so that no damage might be caused to the engine from overfilling.*

Edited by goneoffSKi

At this stage, what is your opinion on getting an extended warranty?

Before I go into the process with Skoda etc, should I consider buying an extended?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to try and make this as painless as possible...

You probably could buy a 1 or 2 year extended warranty,

but i think they will be charging for a Service Inspection before you get the Extended Warranty.

If the Dealer was to say Known Fault before you got the Warranty, then we know why that is.

Personally i would say you will have comeback now on the Dealership that did the Service if the Engine was overfilled.

They know if the Technician that did the Service still works there, or has been known to be incompetent.

Difficult to say really,

one thing to be aware of is, Skoda UK Customer Services Employees are reading this forum as they often do,

and this week BBC Researchers will be as well, as they have in the past.

all the best with it.

george

Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK

needs to get a grip of the issue with some of the under 3,000 UK Mk2 vRS Fabias 

Many of the first 1,800 or so built 2010-2012 are now out of warranty and having these issues from when they were

still in the Original Manufacturers Warranty.

Skoda CZ & the VWG have been taking the Pith for 5 years now on these failures from their Design, Manufacturing & Component Control 

of the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Twincharger Engines.

Edited by goneoffSKi

@goneoffski

when my car when in for dsg the invoice i got had 3 requests:

Request A carry out 34f7 recall

Request B 43569

Request C new customer

Issued parts:

2 x G052512A2 TRANSM.OIL

1 X 000010006 STICKER