New biker (possibly)

oxonskoda

Need some advice and opinions please...

I live in Oxfordshire and commute into Oxford for work. Now, Oxford isn't exactly car friendly, but by leaving home at dawn I can just about get a space where I work. The thing is, this might change as the car parking at work is likely to become less available, and the park and ride would add about 30 minutes each way onto my journey.

I rode a 125 about 10 years ago, for a couple of years, when I lived in London, but never got around to taking my full bike test. I've booked my CBT for August, but I'm having second thoughts. Wife is a radiographer, sister in law an A&E nurse, and my brother in law a paramedic. I'm getting told constantly that I'll end up in a wheelchair or worse...at this rate I'll need some form of psychotherapy whenever I even see a motorbike. Plus, I've got a young son, so apparently riding a motorbike makes me selfish as well.

What I was hoping to get from the bikers on Briskoda was a more balanced view of the dangers of motorcycling. I don't plan on getting anything bigger than a CBR 250, will wear all of the proper gear all of the time, and also take some form of advanced training as soon as (if) I pass my test. With this behind me will I have a life expectancy better than that of a World War I fighter pilot, or is it just a matter of time before some psychopath knocks me off my bike?!

I have ridden on and off for years.  I ride more today than I have for years and I am 61 years old.  I have been Police Advanced trained and also have been an Instructor from CBT through DAS (Direct Access) up to and including Advanced which I could also examine.  So I think I have a reasonable experience level to be able to comment but having said that on here there are lots of experienced bikers who will also be able to advise and I hope they will.

First thing to get across is that motor bikes on their own are not dangerous.  There are hundreds of thousands of them in showrooms all over the World that have not hurt a fly.  It is only when they are ridden by something as unpredictable as we are that they 'can' become dangerous.

Second thing is if anyone has an accident on a motorbike they are inevitably going to come off second whether they hit another vehicle or an object because there is no metal box an air bags to protect you.

Commuting into any City will be far quicker on a motorbike but by the same token it will also be a higher risk if only because of the amount of traffic on the roads.  It is all about training, self control once out on your own and common sense which will be a massive aid to survival.  If you keep your wits about you and concentrate on what others are doing around you then you will stand a far better chance of surviving to enjoy many years of riding.  More often than not you can tell what others are about to do and prepare for it as long as you 'look'.  Too many riders ride along in their own little bubble and take no notice of what is going on around them.

If you decide to do it take every opportunity to have further training as soon as you can and continue to for as long as you need to.  People who don't ride spread all sorts of scare stories about and of course many of them are true.  What they don't do though is spread the stories of all the riders who ahve ridden unhindered for years. 

There is an expression used very often SMIDSY (been used on here today about a tank!)  Sorry mate I didn't see you.  Which is very often spouted by a car driver after they have knocked someone off their bike.  Very good example of this is car driver pulls up to junction with main road looks to right doesn't see biker and pulls out and hits them.  Thing is the car would have been there to be seen by the biker and they could have slowed down, took evasive action, looked at the car driver for eye contact and many many other things.  All it needs is a different mindset.  If I see a car pull upto a junction like that when I am in my car or bus I think 'I wonder if they are going to stop'. If I am on my bike I think they are not going to stop and already I am prepared for it.

Sorry if this is all a bit long winded but I hope it helps.

• Like 2

Ride as if everyone is out to get you and you will be OK. It makes the difference between a near miss and a hit.

John

• Like 2

You're already on the right track to reduce your chances of becoming a accident statistic and if you ride as Chris suggests this will help too. Your close families concerns are well intended and shouldn't be dismissed though they see what the worst case scenarios turn out like without knowing how the biker was acting at the time. If you ride defensively and responsibly this will help and taking an advanced course WILL make you a better safer rider. There are inherent dangers riding a bike all you can do is limit them. If its any help we recently had a visit from the safety camera partnership at our local IAM branch (cars, not bikes) and he said the bikers who are most vunerable are middle aged riding bikes of 600cc and over. They normally have their accidents in early afternoon after being out all day and by then are tired and on their way home. By getting the right training and right kit you're hopefully demonstrating to your close family that you're taking this seriously and recognise the potential dangers involved. Good luck.

• Like 1

Chris, thanks for putting together such an eloquent and well thought out response. I'll take the advise on board.

John, I'll make sure my paranoia levels are on overdrive!

Many thanks,

Paul.

Nothing to add to what Chris has already said so I'm not going to.

Treat every other road user as an idiot and enjoy your riding again.

• Like 1

Ride as if everyone is out to get you and you will be OK. It makes the difference between a near miss and a hit.

John

Defensive riding

Cross of safety

etc etc

Get trained stay safe. Road riding isn't the same as off road.

I get the same arguments as you but I've given in and don't have a bike now.

Thanks Aspman. I'm going to go for my license, despite family objections. Life is short, so something else may well get me anyway...!

Mind you, I was overtaken by a guy on a Honda Fireblade today...wearing trainers, jeans and a t-shirt and no gloves. Madness.

Paul.

Thanks Aspman. I'm going to go for my license, despite family objections. Life is short, so something else may well get me anyway...!

Mind you, I was overtaken by a guy on a Honda Fireblade today...wearing trainers, jeans and a t-shirt and no gloves. Madness.

Paul.

Winds me up just seeing people like that.

Obviously never had a crash have they. Cos it's not pleasant even at slow speeds.

Not much to add apart from commenting on the Oxford roads. I've driven a bus through the city quite often and I have to say for a city as busy as it is the roads are quite nice, I think because there are so many kamakazi cyclists the people in cars/buses/lorries are super alert. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Need some advice and opinions please...

I live in Oxfordshire and commute into Oxford for work. Now, Oxford isn't exactly car friendly, but by leaving home at dawn I can just about get a space where I work. The thing is, this might change as the car parking at work is likely to become less available, and the park and ride would add about 30 minutes each way onto my journey.

I rode a 125 about 10 years ago, for a couple of years, when I lived in London, but never got around to taking my full bike test. I've booked my CBT for August, but I'm having second thoughts. Wife is a radiographer, sister in law an A&E nurse, and my brother in law a paramedic. I'm getting told constantly that I'll end up in a wheelchair or worse...at this rate I'll need some form of psychotherapy whenever I even see a motorbike. Plus, I've got a young son, so apparently riding a motorbike makes me selfish as well.

What I was hoping to get from the bikers on Briskoda was a more balanced view of the dangers of motorcycling. I don't plan on getting anything bigger than a CBR 250, will wear all of the proper gear all of the time, and also take some form of advanced training as soon as (if) I pass my test. With this behind me will I have a life expectancy better than that of a World War I fighter pilot, or is it just a matter of time before some psychopath knocks me off my bike?!

i am 51 years old and have been riding motorbikes since i was 16 i now have a kawasaki  ZRX1200R and in all the time i have been riding have never had an accident it is not the bike but the rider who is at fault and more so other road users, now if you keep your eyes open and you will be fine i have quite a few friends who live in london who ride bikes as well and not had any accidents

Edited by Rexob
  • Like 1

Youve done well by all accounts (:

Sometimes it just happens and theres absolutely nothing you can do.

But ride defensively and expect people to do anything, cos they probably will,. Will minimise the chances