Humming/monotone sound while driving

Hi.

Just reached the 2000km mark on the Fabia III.

I have noticed a 'sound' while driving. At first only when using cruise control but after further testing it appears while driving without.

I thought it was speaker generator sound at first. Quite hard to explain, but it is a quite constant (dB wise) while driving but seems to dissapear when changing speed. So basically quite easy to reproduce after a few km of driving and mostly on cruise control. With radio and fan and everything at the OFF position it is still there.

Not loud or anything, but then again once you notice it you cant seem to 'forget' it.

No squeeks or rattling in this car otherwise what so ever (pleased with that actually in this price range)

Any ideas? Did not want to look like a fool at the dealer if it was something obvious...

Car is with ambition trim level. I think this is called SE in the UK if it has any significance.

Regards from Denmark.

Hi I think I have the same sound in my TSI110.

Very faint sound from the centre of the instrument panel, reminding me of the sound from the radar ppi when I was sailing.

Guess it's from some electronic device, and only highly sensitive people will notice it.

Nothing to worry about.

Edited by torslunde

Hi.

Just reached the 2000km mark on the Fabia III.

I have noticed a 'sound' while driving. At first only when using cruise control but after further testing it appears while driving without.

I thought it was speaker generator sound at first. Quite hard to explain, but it is a quite constant (dB wise) while driving but seems to dissapear when changing speed. So basically quite easy to reproduce after a few km of driving and mostly on cruise control. With radio and fan and everything at the OFF position it is still there.

Not loud or anything, but then again once you notice it you cant seem to 'forget' it.

No squeeks or rattling in this car otherwise what so ever (pleased with that actually in this price range)

Any ideas? Did not want to look like a fool at the dealer if it was something obvious...

Car is with ambition trim level. I think this is called SE in the UK if it has any significance.

Regards from Denmark.

When you switch the engine off do you hear it?  Is it like a motor just whirring away in the background? 

I also have a kind of faint "whirring" beep. It is intermittent, so it might be an electrical engine of some sort. I can hear it when the radio is on low volume and I am alone in the car. I can also clearly hear when sound stops.

Recently I have also gotten a very annoying rattle, that seems to be coming from behind the "carbon fibre" panel on top of the glovebox. On certain speeds and surfaces it can be clearly heard, other times it is not there at all.

I have heard the whine.

Sounds like the HVAC fan.

<snip>

I guess this is then proof that the car is fairly quiet, when you can pick up (and actually be annoyed) on small sounds like this :)

I also have a kind of faint "whirring" beep. It is intermittent, so it might be an electrical engine of some sort. I can hear it when the radio is on low volume and I am alone in the car. I can also clearly hear when sound stops.

Recently I have also gotten a very annoying rattle, that seems to be coming from behind the "carbon fibre" panel on top of the glovebox. On certain speeds and surfaces it can be clearly heard, other times it is not there at all.

Is there a transparent clip on the edge of the windscreen? There is on the UK model which is for parking permits.

My previous car (yeti) developed an annoying rattle at 30-35 mph which was caused by this clip chattering against the glass!

The only way to know for sure is to wrap each component in cotton wool until you have eliminated every one except the one causing the noise.

This does of course mean you will end up driving a fluffy cloud, albeit a quite one.

(one, or maybe two G&T's might have been consumed prior to this helpful contribution)

Slightly more seriously, the original post mentions that the noise goes if changing speed, so assuming it happens at one speed only then it is most likely a component rattling in resonance and almost impossible to reproduce in someone else's car. Have you tried to reproduce the rattle while stationary, and does it occur at a particular rev frequency?

• Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Torslunde: I think you are spot on actually. :-)

Just to answer a few things I have tested.

When car is off noise stops

Noise stops when driving. It does not seem to be surface related (smooth vs. Rough tarmac)

Tested with both higher and lower tyre presssure - no difference

Noise does not sound like it is from behind dash more like "middle-ish" of car, but definately from the front.

Me being sensitive to sound (as torslunde) i would think most people would hear this. Also sound is not completely monotone. Seems to vary slightly in tone, but then stop just to appear again moments later.

Will try to contact dealer and have him hear/look :-)

Regards

Allan

Noise does not sound like it is from behind dash more like "middle-ish" of car, but definately from the front.

YES, you are correct.

Also sound is not completely monotone. Seems to vary slightly in tone, but then stop just to appear again moments later.

Same observation here :)

RGDS

Torslunde

EdinKent:

No rattle or other kind of sounds (that should not be there) in the car.

Sound is reproducable only when driving, and occurs at different speeds.

Did a test today only for this purpose at standard road legal speeds for Denmark.

50, 60, 70, 80, 110 and 130 km/h (30, 37-ish, 43-ish, 50, 70, 80 mph) :-)

sound is there. Same dB, same tone/pitch. Radio on/off. Sigh. I must be getting mad. (it is also not the parking ticket holding flap thingie....

I think I will take it to the dealer tomorrow. Sunday should be the big car sale day here...

Regards.

Hmmm, its strange. Occurs at different speeds. Sound is not there all the time, so something is stopping it. Sound is the same volume whenever it occurs but varying tone slightly. A proper mystery.

The first thing you ruled out was speaker generated sound, but why have you ruled that out? Electro magnetic interference and radio interference can cause speakers to produce sounds even when they are "off".. think of what happens when you make a mobile call next to speakers that aren't shielded..

The other thing is.. pumps! All the fluids flowing around the engine at some stage need electrical pumps. One or more may be slightly faulty - nothing worse than a noisy pump. For this reason I think you should take the car to the dealer asap and have them check it from top to toe. If they can't hear the noise and accuse you of being cranky in the mind, just remind them you are paying money for the slow torture..

Hmmm, its strange. Occurs at different speeds. Sound is not there all the time, so something is stopping it. Sound is the same volume whenever it occurs but varying tone slightly. A proper mystery.

The first thing you ruled out was speaker generated sound, but why have you ruled that out? Electro magnetic interference and radio interference can cause speakers to produce sounds even when they are "off".. think of what happens when you make a mobile call next to speakers that aren't shielded..

The other thing is.. pumps! All the fluids flowing around the engine at some stage need electrical pumps. One or more may be slightly faulty - nothing worse than a noisy pump. For this reason I think you should take the car to the dealer asap and have them check it from top to toe. If they can't hear the noise and accuse you of being cranky in the mind, just remind them you are paying money for the slow torture..

Off to the dealer this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Have a different noise. Car is quiet running till about 40/45 mph then I can't decide if it's just road surface noise or a sound coming from under the front floor around about the area of the gear change or both it disappears at about 70mph and at the odd time of doing 80mph the car is whisper quiet which is a bit unnerving as you loose the sense of speed. I ran a Skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel for 8 years maybe I am not used to a quiet car and becoming paranoid about extraneous noises

After 2.5k getting 40/40 mpg around town and a longer motorway run about 50/55 mpg the seats have softened up and become more comfortable. Have given up on the armrest just keep it in the upright position. Occasionally getting water running off the roof when getting into the car usually after heavy rain. Apart from that the car is going really well Joe

Hello guys,i heard from a other forum that users are having problem with the A/C compressor making some noise. After only 100-200km...

I ll try to have some extra informations

The sound

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzFMf-svDYnpaVNWTkV3a0ZvM00/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzFMf-svDYnpY05QcVdJOTFoTVU/view

Edited by Phoenix877

I have this noise on my Rapid and it's the electric fuel pump which is located in the top of the tank under the rear passenger seat. That's why you can hear it in the middle of the car. The dealer told me this when I enquired about it.

Noise drives me mad :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk