Chipex - any good, anyone used it?

Is this just a touch up paint or a touch up service like chips-away. Forgive my ignorance but I'm on my mobile on a poor connection.

If the former, then touch up paint from dealer using a cocktail stick rather than the brush is as good as anything I've used. Candy White is a solid colour so it is a single bottle. Metallics / Pearlescents have a clear coat too but the experts recommend using the colour coat only.

There is a good article on detailing world touching up bonnet chips on a BMW - a Google search should find the how to.

Edited by Black_Sheep

Yes I have used it comes in a kit straight forward to use, can't say it's any better than a touch up pen but you don't have to put clear coat on.it has some very small brushes and you can build up the paint to fill up any chips and the paint is a perfect match

I've used Skoda touch up pens and the Chipex kit.

And the Chipex is better IMO.

The only issue I've had with it is getting the drying time right before cleaning off the excess. I initially tried to clean it off too soon resulting in most of the paint being removed.

I'm still playing around with it, but there is no sign of me running out of any of the bits supplied soon.

Cheers for the replys guys, at £37 I'm not 100% whether I'm going to order and as most have mentioned regular touch up pen just as good at fraction of the price.

Me thinks I need to think hard on this one :-)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I recently bought a ChipEx kit to repair the damage to my front bumper caused the ONE TIME in three years when I decided to put my car in front facing the house on my driveway rather than reversing on. I misjudged the distance and crunched up against the riven block surrounding our garage.

The Octavia is Moon White metallic as is the replacement Kodiaq I'm getting in a few months so I though that it would be worth getting a kit. I've had a go at it and while it's certainly better (that wouldn't be difficult), I'm not satisfied with the result (yet). The ChipEx formulation seems to be like a combination of filler, quick drying paint and gloss lacquer. I strongly suspect that I'm going to have treat it like a filler and if I can't achieve a decent flat on it, I'll get a rattle can of Moon White and do it the traditional way.

It's a lease hire vehicle so some sort of repair was necessary to avoid a surcharge. I debated with just calling a local repairer then thought I'd take a punt on the ChipEx because I was curious about it.

The jury's out on it so far. I think it would benefit if the surface was horizontal but clearly that's not going to be possible for most in situ panel repairs. Hmm.

Doug

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Edited by --Doug--
Additional information

I bought a similar kit from Paints4U and I have to say it's excellent IF you follow the instructions to the letter and don't attempt to fix it in five minutes. Build it up slowly with plenty of time between each coat etc.

Down vote from me. A friend had this a while back and whilst you do get a LOT of paint it still seems very similar to just a touch up paint stick.

As mentioned the best way I find is to just build up layers of paint a small bit at a time. It takes a while to do, unless its a nice hot day.

finishing with a polish after normally provides a fairly good result.