AIR CON SERVICE-CON?

Refrigerant loss on a car system is expected and acceptable. Flexible hoses and the compressor will leak given time especially with R1234yf.

Normally when carrying out a service you will see around a 50g - 100g drop when recovering the system.

vhx26, nail on head,

not affecting you though is it,

like re-gassing or cleaning a A/C system.  'Not required' is it, or might it be, you will know.. 

Troll on buddy.

What are you driving these days?

Edited by goneoffSKi

[Car air conditioning system] refrigerant rarely leaks over a number of years, whereas before 1991 it was common practice to re-fill vehicle AC systems every few years.

This is taken from an interesting analysis LINK of the comparative environmental impact of R1234yf and R134a (harmful) and refers specifically to German car manufacturers.

ps - Legionnaires' disease is an airborne "Killer" and is associated with poorly maintained AC systems typically used in such places as convention centres, hotels, shopping malls, etc. - I can find no record of anyone having caught it while driving ;)

Ive recently picked up a 1997 BMW 323i with just 21k miles. Its 18 years old and still on the original charge of refrigerant and the AC is still ice cold. The reason systems leak is usually down to lack of use.

People just think its there for when thr weather is hot.

The refrigerant also acts as a lubricant and if the system gets littke usage then O rings and seals dry out and crack.

Ive recently picked up a 1997 BMW 323i with just 21k miles. Its 18 years old and still on the original charge of refrigerant and the AC is still ice cold. The reason systems leak is usually down to lack of use.

People just think its there for when thr weather is hot.

The refrigerant also acts as a lubricant and if the system gets littke usage then O rings and seals dry out and crack.

True but has been a thing of the past for Skoda as we have had clutch less compressors for the last 10+ years. The system is always running and circulating the system.

• Like 1

So.

Your point is until someone does there is no issue.

What is your background in as far as Training and Employment,

has it anything to do with Media and Public Relations or IT?

Anything to do with Health & Safety and Environmental Health.?

http://autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/84572/volkswagen-recall-25-million-cars-affected

The Ac system in a car is a totally different type of system to that used in a building where legionaires disease may be an issue.

No need to tell me, i am not saying they are,

(i know about cooling towers and Legionnaires Disease after several recent tragic cases in Scotland)

that is the gentleman that is usually seeing only good from Skoda and VW that now saying Servicing and Maintenance and re-gassing is not required, just change the filter.

Edited by goneoffSKi

However did we all manage to survive and live without having 'Air Conditioning' in the days before they were ever fitted to cars....LOL

No-one is gonna die if the 'Air Conditioning' is not regassed or used etc..LOL

• Like 1

My systems not gassed in my Volvo after having changed the Engine, and the ECU is an unhappy chappie and keeps putting up warning messages, and even on Manual from time to time the system goes to Auto and the message can not be cleared.

No A/C suits me, but not always others that use the car.

OTT,

If you look at the Fabia Mk2 Service Schedule you will see that it includes replacing the Alarm Siren at 5 years.

You might decide to ignore this guidance since your Alarm works just fine, or you think it does,

you have never changed one, never known one to need changing and your Dad drove tanks in WWII.

(who ever services a cars alarm system?, quite a few actually!)

Service Schedules Advice and Guidance is there to be ignored by those that want to,

it is a Free World due to WWII, and they had no Air Conditioning.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Having worked in the industry for 33 years I've seen most ac systems. I've serviced many ac types and many of you would not want to see the state of some of the filters and pipes in some of those cars. Some had not been serviced for 5+ years and the amount of mould and other types of growth in the system was frankly amazing and most of you would be very shocked to see it. And, legionella bacteria does exist in parts of the ac system for sure (and in your windscreen washer bottle if you don't service it with screenwasher fluid - as per the AA warning). It's present in all water (except water at or above 60c) at some level or another and that's fact. It is even present in the condensator at lower levels and it can build up but probably not to a harmful level. There is probably more in your home shower that hasn't been used for two weeks than in the condensator. I've even had to replace ducting in cars due to infections that can't easily be cleaned out. IT IS THE IDEAL BREEDING GROUND for bacteria and mould...and it's true, because the ac system is cycling from hot to cold constantly. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant of the facts. And yes, ALL ac systems lose gas lube over time whether you know it or not, whether the system is working correctly or not, and whether it's used regularly or not. The system will wear out more slowly if it is serviced regularly whether you know it or not. AC compressors cost huge amounts of money to replace, servicing only needs to be infrequent and is cheap. You wouldn't let your engine oil go 5 years without replacing would you? It's very much the same thing with the gas lube. The OP was asking if servicing the ac would be good advice from his dealer or a con. It's not a con, it's just good advice to have it done. Many folks do notice an improvement in the systems afterwards. But believe what you will...folks always do. The techs and dealers are always wrong aren't they.

Edited by Estate Man

<SNIP>

If you look at the Fabia Mk2 Service Schedule you will see that it includes replacing the Alarm Siren at 5 years.

<SNIP>

You now seem to be arguing that getting your AC gassed every two years can't possibly be a pointless money-making scam because something else might not be a pointless money-making scam - which it probably is anyhow.  Can you not think of any way of testing an alarm siren? Why not replace the horn every five years? And the ECU, immobiliser, air bags, door locks, windscreen, etc., etc.  Have you ever heard of an insurance company rejecting a claim because the alarm siren hadn't been replaced?

Getting your AC regassed every two years sounds to me like a pointless money-making scam. Getting a can of Fabreze sprayed around your engine bay is undoubtedly a scam.  However, as I have said before, far be it from me to discourage gullible suckers lining the pockets of snake-oil salesmen ;)

ps - The technicians and dealers aren't always wrong, they ARE always out to make a profit!

pps - good to see that you aren't just a raging conspiracy theorist but a sexist as well George ;)

Edited by vxh26

I am not arguing anything not matter what you seem to think.

(other than things sometimes stink, do you have a 'link', is your lips pink, now troll on.)

Putting over that there are lots of circumstances and needs and wants.

& do not be blinkered.

You on the other hand are making what ever point.

You now seem to be arguing that getting your AC gassed every two years can't possibly be a pointless money-making scam because something else might not be a pointless money-making scam - which it probably is anyhow.  Can you not think of any way of testing an alarm siren? Why not replace the horn every five years? And the ECU, immobiliser, air bags, door locks, windscreen, etc., etc.  Have you ever heard of an insurance company rejecting a claim because the alarm siren hadn't been replaced?

Getting your AC regassed every two years sounds to me like a pointless money-making scam. Getting a can of Fabreze sprayed around your engine bay is undoubtedly a scam.  However, as I have said before, far be it from me to discourage gullible suckers lining the pockets of snake-oil salesmen ;)

ps - The technicians and dealers aren't always wrong, they ARE always out to make a profit!

pps - good to see that you aren't just a raging conspiracy theorist but a sexist as well George ;)

There are dealers who have worked out that by fostering a better working relationship with a loyal customer base that they make more money in the long run this includes advising their customers of ways to avoid costly bills and work that's not necessary and cheaper places to get things from etc. The above statement tars them all with the same brush and is not my experience. I have one main dealer close to me who are absolute money grabbing shysters and another which is far away that I travel to that are helpful and not trying to make a fast buck at the risk of p1ssing me off. I just wish they were closer.

vxh26,

What do you think i am away to do.

1.  Go to a Main Dealer and have the Alarm System Serviced. as per Manufacturers Guidelines.

2. Code it out.

3. Pull the Fuse & Rely.

4. Do nothing.

5. Do what is required to Service the Alarm System which will cost under £20.

Having worked in the industry for 33 years I've seen most ac systems. I've serviced many ac types and many of you would not want to see the state of some of the filters and pipes in some of those cars. Some had not been serviced for 5+ years and the amount of mould and other types of growth in the system was frankly amazing and most of you would be very shocked to see it. And, legionella bacteria does exist in parts of the ac system for sure (and in your windscreen washer bottle if you don't service it with screenwasher fluid - as per the AA warning). It's present in all water (except water at or above 60c) at some level or another and that's fact. It is even present in the condensator at lower levels and it can build up but probably not to a harmful level. There is probably more in your home shower that hasn't been used for two weeks than in the condensator. I've even had to replace ducting in cars due to infections that can't easily be cleaned out. IT IS THE IDEAL BREEDING GROUND for bacteria and mould...and it's true, because the ac system is cycling from hot to cold constantly. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant of the facts. And yes, ALL ac systems lose gas lube over time whether you know it or not, whether the system is working correctly or not, and whether it's used regularly or not. The system will wear out more slowly if it is serviced regularly whether you know it or not. AC compressors cost huge amounts of money to replace, servicing only needs to be infrequent and is cheap. You wouldn't let your engine oil go 5 years without replacing would you? It's very much the same thing with the gas lube. The OP was asking if servicing the ac would be good advice from his dealer or a con. It's not a con, it's just good advice to have it done. Many folks do notice an improvement in the systems afterwards. But believe what you will...folks always do. The techs and dealers are always wrong aren't they.

Good to know. Nice to hear these facts confirmed by some one with the actual technical knowledge to back up what they are saying! I'm sure some people will still try and argue the point with you because they always think they know best.

facts aren't quite correct, legionella for instance wont occur in moving fluids which is why you should run the A/C often, also Legionella requires the presence of cysteine and iron to grow, not commonly found in vehicles these days :P

at the end of the day, there's always more than one opinion for anything, no one person will ever be right but they will always try to convince you otherwise but youll find those that try to convince you the most are the ones with more to gain ££££££

• Like 1

Hi monk, well you are only partially correct in what you are saying, but this is not really about Legionella. All I will say is that the legionella bug is present in all water, and grows freely in any water that is stagnate or stationary or slow flowing if it's under 60c. It doesn't always require iron either. It depends on the strain and some other factors involving the environment. They do test for the bug using cysteine and iron because it speeds up the diagnosis for some strains. That's why the AA issued warnings about it being in your car washer bottle if you don't treat it to generous amounts of washer fluid (that can be a threat). It's also been found in the condensator of many cars, but as I said earlier, it's not a threat to human health at the levels you will find it. Your home shower contains more of the bug if it's not used for a couple of weeks.

There is a link in the AC thread running in the Yeti Section with the Skoda offer on the Brake Fluid Change & A/C Servicing.

Sorry, More off topic,

but remember the risks with Legionella goes beyond the H20, 

So forget the gardening and go for a drive, its maybe safer.

There have been recent deaths sadly.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-24304032

Edited by goneoffSKi

There is a link in the AC thread running in the Yeti Section with the Skoda offer on the Brake Fluid Change & A/C Servicing.

Sorry, More off topic,

but remember the risks with Legionella goes beyond the H20, 

So forget the gardening and go for a drive, its maybe safer.

There have been recent deaths sadly.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-24304032

I called my local dealer, confirmed the offer and booked mine in.