Euro 6 engine

Johnboy16

I don't know if this will help...

Greenline 1.6Ltr F/L 2014  on 16" wheels.

Measured on level drive way.

N/S/F Floor to top of wheel arch.  75cm.  Centre of wheel cap to wheel arch  46cm.  

O/S/F                                            74cm                                                            45.5

O/S/R                                            75cm                                                            45

N/S/R                                            74                                                                 44

I put a Spirit leven across the roof bars for this measuremenet.

O/S/R floor to top of roof rail 165cm

N/S/R                                     162cm

The car is over half full of fuel. Spare wheel plus all cubby boxes in boot full of bits.

I dare say if I was to measure again after a drive these measurements would change again, but just so you can compare your Non Greenline.

Let us know your measurements...

Skoda Sites give as

1,677 mm height 1.2 tsi  (167.7 cm)

1,699 mm   "        2.0tdi  (169.9 cm)

&

Clearance as 180 mm  (18 cm)

Clearance Greenline II as 155 mm (15.5 cm)  

25 mm / 2.5 cm difference = 1" ish,  difference between oo and ahh.

GOS

At the end of the day What is an inch????

yeh 25mm  :D

Give or take a bit!!

Edited by Carlo diesel

So true.

Stick in 300 kg plus maybe of passengers & luggage and they all drop a bit and are 300 kg heavier 

and the lower profile is sorted and the gross weight is up, nice going down hill, not much better going up hill, 

and a side wind or tail wind make all the differences.

Put 25mm longer springs on a Greenline II and run it at Gross Max weight and the difference will be about zilch.

Hopefully this doesn't apply to Skoda's euro VI diesel but I've tested a couple of the new 1.2TSI 110's (Fabia III) that have replaced the old 105, as I have in the Spaceback and they seem flat and lethargic in comparison. 

As a side note we've just changed our Fabia MC TSI 86 for a nearly new Volvo  :o with the last of the euro V PSA 1.6 TDI engines (Volvo have switched to an in house de-tuned 2.0 TDI to meet euro VI) and although I don't like admitting it, its a better motor than any of the VAG diesels I've tried, plus as an added bonus there's no DPF and its band A  VED.

Mind parts and servicing are about double Skoda's  :rofl:

TP

Edited by The Plumber

"Mind parts and servicing are about double Skoda's "  :rofl:

Ha ha. And more expensive to buy new.

I used to run Volvols for over 30 years, starting with the old 144.

Then 245 est ,740,760, V70

No more to service than any other car. Used all UK sorced parts.

Most back then was UK stuff anyway.

"Mind parts and servicing are about double Skoda's "  :rofl:

Ha ha. And more expensive to buy new.

I used to run Volvols for over 30 years, starting with the old 144.

Then 245 est ,740,760, V70

No more to service than any other car. Used all UK sorced parts.

Most back then was UK stuff anyway.

New prices as you say are expensive, hence why we went nearly new and saved over a third off list. As an added bonus its an ex head office car with full driver support and winter packs  :)

TP

Hopefully this doesn't apply to Skoda's euro VI diesel but I've tested a couple of the new 1.2TSI 110's (Fabia III) that have replaced the old 105, as I have in the Spaceback and they seem flat and lethargic in comparison.

TP

That's disapointing. Last year I had seat Ibiza 1.2 110 on holiday and found it much more sporty than my Yeti. I wonder if they are detuning to lower the emissions. I was quite looking forward to replacing my Yeti with another with the 110 engine

So true.

Stick in 300 kg plus maybe of passengers & luggage and they all drop a bit and are 300 kg heavier 

and the lower profile is sorted and the gross weight is up, nice going down hill, not much better going up hill, 

and a side wind or tail wind make all the differences.

Put 25mm longer springs on a Greenline II and run it at Gross Max weight and the difference will be about zilch.

Personally I think the greenline looks very different to the standard Yeti particularly when you see them next to each other. I think the smaller diameter wheels look a bit lost in the massive wheel arch. A Yeti with 10mm of the springs and ether 215 60 16 or 225 50 17 would look perfect to me

As a side note we've just changed our Fabia MC TSI 86 for a nearly new Volvo  :o with the last of the euro V PSA 1.6 TDI engines (Volvo have switched to an in house de-tuned 2.0 TDI to meet euro VI) and although I don't like admitting it, its a better motor than any of the VAG diesels I've tried, plus as an added bonus there's no DPF and its band A  VED.

TP

Unless someone has been at it with a hacksaw, I think you will find your Volvo does have a DPF.

Unless someone has been at it with a hacksaw, I think you will find your Volvo does have a DPF.

Asked the dealer and they said no DPF with our model, plus there's no warning light for it on the dash, or mention in the owners handbook as with the Skoda.

TP

When we were first looking I tried a Greenline alongside a normal 110, both on a similar mileage and came to the following conclusions - 110 was far quieter and smoother. Most surprising, on the same 20 mile run, both cars from cold and driving the same (including labouring it up a 3 mile dual carriageway hill at 70 in top) the 110 was actually slightly more economical according to the maxidot. Ok, there were no stop-start incidents which would have favoured the Greenline but I came to the conclusion that unless you spend most of your time in heavy traffic, the Greenline was a bit of a cynical exercise to meet the emissions test. The Greenline badging also irritated me as a bit 'I'm wearing a hair shirt to save the planet'.

Asked the dealer and they said no DPF with our model, plus there's no warning light for it on the dash, or mention in the owners handbook as with the Skoda.

TP

Interesting! I know my 1.6 D2 Euro 5 Volvo has a DPF, and I wasn't aware that any manufacturer had managed to achieve Euro 5 emission standards without one.

Anyway, Euro 6 is even more difficult to achieve, and it remains to be seen just how reliable the new engines will be. I hope the VAG engines using Adblue are more successful than Volvo's Euro 6 engine efforts (which don't). Repeated problems with EGR Valves and Coolers have now forced Volvo into remapping  the engines which has reduced low speed torque and spoiled them.    

TP

Interesting to hear you are now a Volvo owner TP. What year is the car out of interest? :)

Interesting! I know my 1.6 D2 Euro 5 Volvo has a DPF, and I wasn't aware that any manufacturer had managed to achieve Euro 5 emission standards without one.

Anyway, Euro 6 is even more difficult to achieve, and it remains to be seen just how reliable the new engines will be. I hope the VAG engines using Adblue are more successful than Volvo's Euro 6 engine efforts (which don't). Repeated problems with EGR Valves and Coolers have now forced Volvo into remapping  the engines which has reduced low speed torque and spoiled them.    

Ours is also a PSA 1.6 D2 euro V, so maybe the dealer was giving us duff gen (wouldn't be a first) but I'm surprised there's nothing on the dash to warn of a fault, unless it uses the engine management light and no mention in the more comprehensive on-line handbook available in the MyVolvo site.

Have also had a poke around under the bonnet and there is a cylindrical 'box' connected to the turbo outlet but it looks more like the cat converter on our 1.2 TSI than the DPF's I'm used to with VAG  :wonder:

Interesting to hear you are now a Volvo owner TP. What year is the car out of interest? :)

Its a 2015 64 plate MY15 V40 Cross Country SE Nav D2  

Very different ownership/driving experience to the Skoda, so it should be interesting to see how we get on with our first Volvo.

TP

• Like 1

Ours is also a PSA 1.6 D2 euro V, so maybe the dealer was giving us duff gen (wouldn't be a first) but I'm surprised there's nothing on the dash to warn of a fault, unless it uses the engine management light and no mention in the more comprehensive on-line handbook available in the MyVolvo site.

Have also had a poke around under the bonnet and there is a cylindrical 'box' connected to the turbo outlet but it looks more like the cat converter on our 1.2 TSI than the DPF's I'm used to with VAG  :wonder:

Very different ownership/driving experience to the Skoda, so it should be interesting to see how we get on with our first Volvo.

TP

You may not wish to risk incurring the wrath of a (small) number of members but I for one would be interested in your ownership and driving experiences of the Volvo.  You're not daft and would have changed over for good and sound reasons...I hope you'll let us know how it's going and hope the detractors will have a degree of forbearance when you do so.

Quote "so it should be interesting to see how we get on with our first Volvo." So pls let us know how you get on with it.

Interesting, after our calmative experience with our new Fabia Monte Carlo, I said to wifee I’m going back to a Volvo.

I had never in over 30 years ownership had any bad experiences with them.

I visited 1 dealer, & spoke to 2 others over the phone, & soon realised I was going to commit financial suicide p/exing with them.

So I had to keep with Skoda, although going for the Yeti.

(so far so good)

The V40 was my choice, but never found one at the right price, or come to that trade in price either.

CD

Edited by Carlo diesel

More than happy to pop up the occasional update on our V40 and regard P/X I felt the dealer came up with a realistic trade-in value for our Monte, plus we were lucky to come across a well optioned example with the full driver assist, winter illumination and style packs, plus a spacesaver spare.

Still a lot to learn about the car but I'm finding as Skoda would put it, some 'simply clever' touches particularly to how the systems work. For example systems like the wipers allow you to use manual in the conventional way, or select automatic control without having to re-position the stalk as with the Skoda.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

As someone who was very grateful for your advice in my early days on this forum when I was still deliberating as to whether to order a Yeti or go elsewhere, I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on with the Volvo - I've had two Volvos including my last car and regretted both sufficient to be put off the marque in the future but I was  probably just very unlucky as, despite what seems now to the the common view, was always pleased with my Renaults and Peugeots in their day. 

And purely selfishly, if we can keep you as a regular visitor who knows when your thorough knowledge of Yetis won't be to someone's benefit!

Enjoy your "I didn't know it did that" moments with the V40.

TP

Same euro 5 psa group engine that I have in my fiesta 1.6 TDCi... Without DPF (the main reason I bought it). After my model shipped in 2008, the Fiestas started coming with DPFs on that engine so really surprised if Volvo stayed without it for another five years.

Same euro 5 psa group engine that I have in my fiesta 1.6 TDCi... Without DPF (the main reason I bought it). After my model shipped in 2008, the Fiestas started coming with DPFs on that engine so really surprised if Volvo stayed without it for another five years.

How do you find the Ford variant of this engine? The D2 in the Volvo seems to be smoother and less noisy than any of the VAG diesels I've owned to date and performs very similarly to the 110 TDI I had in the second Yeti but with a bit better pick up on acceleration, although that might be the difference between 2wd and 4x4.

Think reliability is going to be the biggest unknown in this new adventure, the local Volvo outfit have so far provided customer service akin to what you used to get with the old small family run Skoda outfits of yesteryear.

TP

Ive always preferred the PSA unit - power and torque characteristics in particular. Refinement differs from model to model imo - it's more refined in the Focus than the Fiesta for example due to better sound proofing/isolation. I'd imagine the Volvo would be at least as good as the Focus implementation. Mines done 60k now with only one minor sensor failure in that time. It's been remapped for over 50k, gives 56+mpg around town, 70+ on a run, never uses oil and costs peanuts to tax and insure. I'm a big fan. Id have an issue buying a French car tbh but if they do something right it's diesel engines imo. :)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/351022-my-little-run-around-a-modified-fiesta-16-tdci/?fromsearch=1

• Like 1

TP

We almost went V40 Cross Country but bought the Yeti in the end. We came from a V50 D4 too. The V40 looked a great car in many ways, but for our needs the flexibility of the interior wasn't there as the back seats didn't fold particularly well. A pity really.

TP

How do they get away with that then TP?

Fred